Chipping leather on Brand New Unused Light Gold Mini

NurseAnn

O.G.
Apr 10, 2009
I called 10 boutiques to find this beauty and was ecstatic when I received it yesterday. After closely examining my mini today I noticed that the trim was chipped and worn away on the edge. I have not used this bag yet. The paper wrapping and tags are still on it. Could this be a defective one or do you think this is a sign of how the bag will wear? I don't know if I even have a shot at getting a replacement, but I'm not sure anymore if I should try. This leather is exceptionally beautiful but I don't want to worry about it when I use it

.IMG_1501176580.359218.jpg

IMG_1501176559.405750.jpg

IMG_1501176602.698604.jpg

IMG_1501176617.301382.jpg

IMG_1501176636.462190.jpg

IMG_1501176650.560792.jpg

I called 10 boutiques to find this beauty and was ecstatic when I received it yesterday. After closely examining my mini today I noticed that the trim was chipped and worn away on the edge. I have not used this bag yet. The paper wrapping and tags are still on it. Could this be a defective one or do you think this is a sign of how the bag will wear? I don't know if I even have a shot at getting a replacement, but I'm not sure anymore if I should try. This leather is exceptionally beautiful but I don't want to worry about it when I use it

.View attachment 3777221

View attachment 3777220

View attachment 3777222

View attachment 3777223

View attachment 3777224

View attachment 3777225
Wow, I'm very sorry about your STUNNING bag.....gosh i wish i could remember who just posted something very similar (my memory is awful lately....i think their bag might have been a black one) If i find the post i will PM you.

Reactions: NurseAnn
@NurseAnn
If you look in the chanel threads...here is her title of thread (I think it looks similar to your issue-??)
HELP!! Peeling leather broken heart :sad:

Thank you for referring to that post. It looks to me like maybe stress on the edge causes this? I talked to my SA who said it "is not a flaw and is just the look of iridescent leather on caviar.". I disagree. It's going back for sure.

I just read the other thread about chipping on the so black mini in crumpled calfskin. Totally not acceptable. I don't believe it's a problem exclusive to just your bag though. I kinda believe it's due to the over treatment of the leather, and sooner or later it's going to wear out that way? That's my belief anyway. Still a gorgeous bag though, but I would probably get a refund. I'm so sorry you had this happen to you.

Yes, I would totally ask for a refund rather than a store credit. This is obviously not wear and tear. I can understand your disappointment after spending so much effort to attain the bag but it is for the best to return it while you still can rather than to deal with all the aftermath especially at this price point. Sadly enough, we all know where the bag is going after you return it. Instead of going into repair or being sent back to France as being defective, it will be going to the next person on the wait list. With all these issues on the current season minis, one has to really examine the bag under microscopic level for its leather quality, shape, chain links and chain length etc. On top of that, one needs to be sure it is fresh off a shipment rather than being a returned item because of possible improvement on chain length??? Nonetheless I still love Chanel's design, I only wish that the QC can be at where it should be.

.View attachment 3777221

View attachment 3777220

View attachment 3777222

View attachment 3777223

View attachment 3777224

View attachment 3777225
Oh no so sorry but as much as I love the color this definitely needs to be return back to the store.

Reactions: NurseAnn
Yes, I would totally ask for a refund rather than a store credit. This is obviously not wear and tear. I can understand your disappointment after spending so much effort to attain the bag but it is for the best to return it while you still can rather than to deal with all the aftermath especially at this price point. Sadly enough, we all know where the bag is going after you return it. Instead of going into repair or being sent back to France as being defective, it will be going to the next person on the wait list. With all these issues on the current season minis, one has to really examine the bag under microscopic level for its leather quality, shape, chain links and chain length etc. On top of that, one needs to be sure it is fresh off a shipment rather than being a returned item because of possible improvement on chain length??? Nonetheless I still love Chanel's design, I only wish that the QC can be at where it should be.
You are so right about it going to the next person on the waitlist........:shocked:

couldn't agree more. Chanel seriously needs to up their game when it comes to close inspection of their bags before passing them through quality control. looking at the pics i thought maybe bc of the actual STITCHING that had to be done on the sides it caused some damage to the iridescent layer of the leather where the stitches come through, but the peeping/chipping isn't where the two pieces meet, it's away from it.

I just read the other thread about chipping on the so black mini in crumpled calfskin. Totally not acceptable. I don't believe it's a problem exclusive to just your bag though. I kinda believe it's due to the over treatment of the leather, and sooner or later it's going to wear out that way? That's my belief anyway. Still a gorgeous bag though, but I would probably get a refund. I'm so sorry you had this happen to you.

I think that's what I will do. Every time I see pics of this bag it makes me want to change my mind because it is so beautiful, but at this point I think I'd be worried about the iridescent wear too much to enjoy it.

Reactions: Saltvinegar

This was my first boutique purchase of a bag and I'm pretty surprised by it. I love Chanel's classic designs. I just wish I had a place near me so that I could examine it myself rather than go through the process of mailing and getting a refund.

Reactions: Saltvinegar
another sad bag owner...
if that's the look of the iridescent leather then please pass it onto the next customer who is willing to pay 3K for that 'look'.

and @Visss this is why i'm going to stay away from Chanel, at least the minis...

Yeah that's pretty much what she chalked it up to. The must be churning out these minis too quickly.