Chipped Brass On My Sophia

Bisoux78

O.G.
Jul 26, 2012
I recently purchased a mint condition brown gathered leather Sophia off of eBay. The bag is absolutely gorgeous except for a small chip on the right buckle in the front of the bag. I was aware of this prior to buying because the seller was upfront and he was offering it for a really great price. I don't mind the chipped hardware but if it can be fixed then why not.

My question is, does Coach normally fix chipped brass on their bags and if they can't fix it, would they replace it with the same bag even though Sophia's are now a discontinued style? I'm assuming they have back ups of every bag at JAX (I can only dream) or am I doomed to receive store credit.

Thanks in advance.

The bag is an old style, used ,and worn I am assuming. How and why would you return it? I would never return something that's been used. Isn't that illegal to return for full price something you didn't even buy? I would be careful the purchase is not going to show up on your name. I would feel very uncomfortable. If you do return it Let us know what they say. I understand your frustration but I would return it to the seller. Good luck

The bag is an old style, used ,and worn I am assuming. How and why would you return it? I would never return something that's been used. Isn't that illegal to return for full price something you didn't even buy? I would be careful the purchase is not going to show up on your name. I would feel very uncomfortable. If you do return it Let us know what they say. I understand your frustration but I would return it to the seller. Good luck

I believe she meant return for repair, which is a service Coach does provide. I should think they could simply replace the buckle?

I doubt they would fix it. They might, though, since they are still making Sophia so may have an extra buckle lying around. A lot depends on how difficult the repair is. It seems to me it would be difficult to undo all the stitching in order to install the new buckle, then restitch. Things like that are so much easier to stitch before the bag has been put together. They wouldn't replace a broken zipper for me.

I do agree that it seems a little dishonest to return something you didn't buy from Coach originally.

Seems like that would qualify as normal wear and tear. Why did you buy the bag if you knew it was going to bug you and you'd want to try to fix it? Maybe try a cobbler?

I recently purchased a mint condition brown gathered leather Sophia off of eBay. The bag is absolutely gorgeous except for a small chip on the right buckle in the front of the bag. I was aware of this prior to buying because the seller was upfront and he was offering it for a really great price. I don't mind the chipped hardware but if it can be fixed then why not.

My question is, does Coach normally fix chipped brass on their bags and if they can't fix it, would they replace it with the same bag even though Sophia's are now a discontinued style? I'm assuming they have back ups of every bag at JAX (I can only dream) or am I doomed to receive store credit.

Thanks in advance.

Can you post on the Rehab page a pic of the chip? If Coach won't repair a PF member may know how to camouflage it.

I never said I wanted to return the bag. What I said was that I would like to see if they could fix the chipped brass. They've repaired a broken zipper for me in the past and I know that what can't be fixed, they offer store credit.

If that was the case, I'd opt to keep the bag because I collect Sophia's and like I said in my initial post, I didn't mind the chipped brass but if it can be fixed then why not.

I'm not trying to be dishonest here and I think some of you are misreading my post.

PS - The bag is in mint condition and was advertised as "NWOT" ( new without tags) by the seller. Everything is perfect except for the buckle with a small chip on the brass. It's not some old, beat up bag that I'm having them fix.

Last edited:
If that was the case, I'd opt to keep the bag because I collect Sophia's and like I said in my initial post, I didn't mind the chipped brass but if it can be fixed then why not.
PS - The bag is in mint condition and was advertised as "NWOT" ( new without tags) by the seller. Everything is perfect except for the buckle with a small chip on the brass. It's not some old, beat up bag that I'm having them fix.
Would love to see your collection. I collect them as well.

I think you should enjoy the bag. You love Sophia and got a good price on it, and you knew the chip was there.

I don't think Coach should fix (at their expense) or give merchandise credit on a bag that was purchased on eBay. I just feel that service ought to be reserved for customers who purchase from Coach, whether it's the outlet or boutique. I would enjoy the bag as is.

Ah, your link isn't loading for me, but I can see they've changed it to one year. It doesn't specify, but I bet it might be one year from date of manufacture rather than purchase so a bag purchased at the outlet might not qualify.

REPAIRS

REPAIR POLICY
Coach products are made to ensure satisfaction and service. We offer a one-year warranty on our handbags, briefcases, and small leather goods. For any manufacturing defects within this time frame, repairs are on us. We invite you to bring your item back to one of our Coach Retail stores (click here for locations) or ship your item to Coach by insured traceable means, such as UPS insured or insured mail. Please send to:

C O A C H
Attn: Returns
One Coach Way
Jacksonville, Florida 32218

Please include a note with your address, daytime phone number, email address and instructions, or use our Repair Service Request Form, which you can print out and send in to Coach along with your repair.

SUNWEAR REPAIRS
Coach sunglasses are protected from the date of purchase by a Coach Sunwear two-year limited warranty. If the Sunwear proves to be defective in material or workmanship under normal use anytime within the first two (2) years, we will repair or replace the Coach Sunwear.

For Sunwear repairs on product outside the two year warranty or damage other than quality, some repairs may be available for a fee. Complete the Sunwear Repair Service Request form and send to the address listed along with a $10.00 shipping and handling fee.

For additional questions or further information, contact us at 1-800-444-3611 or email us at [email protected].

WATCH REPAIRS
Coach timepieces are protected from the date of purchase by a Coach Watch two-year limited warranty. Watches must be purchased from an Authorized Coach Watch Dealer, as evidenced by a valid warranty card and proof of purchase. In the event of any defect (within the first two years) in material or workmanship to the watch movement or flaking and peeling, send the timepiece to the address listed below and include a Watch Repair Service Request form.

MGI
109 State Street
Moonachie, NJ 07074

For repair of Watches outside the two year limited warranty period, contact MGI directly at 1-800-796-7103 for repair options.

For additional questions or further information, contact us at 1-800-444-3611 or email [email protected].

DOES COACH OFFER A REPAIR SERVICE FOR CUSTOMERS RESIDING OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES AND CANADA?
At this time, we are unable to offer repair service for our customers who reside outside the United States and Canada. Please contact your local Coach Store for assistance with your repair request.

IS THERE A CHARGE TO HAVE A COACH ITEM REPAIRED?
We offer a one year warranty on our handbags, briefcases and small leather goods. Please see our Repair Policy.

Should your item fall outside the one-year repair policy, we offer a repair service for some of our products. There is a $20 evaluation and processing fee for each item submitted for repair. Please call 1-800-444-3611 or email [email protected] for more information.

HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO HAVE A COACH ITEM REPAIRED?
Our repair process takes four to six weeks from the time we receive your product.

THE TURNLOCK CLOSURE ON MY HANDBAG NEEDS REPLACING. IS THAT SOMETHING I CAN DO MYSELF?
In many cases we can send you a new turnlock with instructions for replacement. Please call 1-888-262-6224 or email [email protected] for more information.

CAN I SEND MY BAG TO COACH FOR CLEANING?
While we do not offer a cleaner or refurbishing service, we do offer Coach Product Care (Leather Cleaner, Leather Moisturizer and Fabric Cleaner) to be used on many of our products. Please refer to the Product Care Card that you received with your item or call 1-800-444-3611 with any questions.