Chinese government fines Hermes for substandard garments!

lilyhermes

O.G.
Apr 23, 2008
^^^ LOL, Orangegirl, I was just about to post the same thing. I think this is their retaliation for that very "hazardous" Google and all those non-Chinese imported temptations.

laurayuki

Rational Narcissist
Sep 11, 2008
nothing more than a political ploy or perhaps the custom officials' wives wanted something nice

since this discussion is no longer really H related I have to say it pains me a lot when I see my native land being stereotyped.

I have family friends who works at the customs quality check a lot of exported goods and they are very diligent and have very high standards... only corruption screw things up.
what the government decides to do does not always represent the people and the country (since the country to me is defined more by the history and their citizens rather than the government)

mavsun

Dec 7, 2007
nothing more than a political ploy or perhaps the custom officials' wives wanted something nice

since this discussion is no longer really H related I have to say it pains me a lot when I see my native land being stereotyped.

I have family friends who works at the customs quality check a lot of exported goods and they are very diligent and have very high standards... only corruption screw things up.
what the government decides to do does not always represent the people and the country (since the country to me is defined more by the history and their citizens rather than the government)
Well said, Laura! :tup:

Chill

Apr 19, 2007
Politics or not, quality check/control is right thing to do and consumer is protected by knowing more, not less.
H labelling issue probably doesn't raise anyone's eyebrow, but some brands with harmful chemcials? Shouldn't the dicussion be focused on what are we getting fr these brands???

HelloKitty08

Mar 22, 2008
^ITA! I'm not sure where this thread is going....as far as I know alot of the products made in China have been made in China by International brands who prefer to go to China to manufacture cheaply, the quality control checks and any oversight should rest with the management of these international brands not China! I personally think alot of these international brands are completely irresponsible as long as they get the cost savings, which incidentally are not passed onto consumers! Let's take Mattel for example, yes, the dolls were made in China for Mattel but to Mattel's quality standards and according to Mattel's designs, in Mattel's factory in China. Infact an apology was issued to China, Mattel taking full responsibility! Sounds like a serious case of passing the buck!

Incidentally, all my LV Cherry Blossom shoes from a few years back ran each time I wore them, the red ink on the suede lining covered my feet in red dye. I took them back to LV and they informed me that they knew about this problem but there was nothing they could do. I was told to keep wearing them and the dye would come off less over time??!! I've since stopped wearing them as I can't imagine that this red dye all over my feet can be particularly good for me. I've also had an Hermes silk top fall apart at the seams after one dry clean and my husband has given up wearing his Hermes indigo jeans from 2 years ago as the dye leaks everywhere no matter how many times you wash them. Hermes informed us that their newer version of the same jeans no longer has that problem. Bad quality comes from all brands, whether made in Italy or France, not necessarily due to China!

As for the taxes, we all know that when an Hermes birkin comes into the port in China they do not declare the full price of these goods and therefore do not pay the full tax that they should to import these goods, whether a ploy or not the taxes or fines imposed on them now would only amount to what these international brands shoud have paid originally to legally import these goods into China in the first place!

As for freedom, the people in China have freedom, infact Jackie Chan was recently quoted saying that they have too much - don't believe eveything you read.

HelloKitty08

Mar 22, 2008
^^You are right, it was part of a personal conversation that I had with that x person on this, I should not have written about it on a public forum. No harm meant!