Chinese company sells beauty products from executed prisoners

chemlex

Sep 13, 2005
I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Link to Full Article

The beauty products from the skin of executed Chinese prisoners

· Cosmetics firm targets UK market ·
Lack of regulation puts users at risk

Ian Cobain and Adam Luck
Tuesday September 13, 2005
The Guardian

A Chinese cosmetics company is using skin harvested from the corpses of executed convicts to develop beauty products for sale in Europe, an investigation by the Guardian has discovered.
Agents for the firm have told would-be customers it is developing collagen for lip and wrinkle treatments from skin taken from prisoners after they have been shot. The agents say some of the company's products have been exported to the UK, and that the use of skin from condemned convicts is "traditional" and nothing to "make such a big fuss about".

I guess the most disturbing part for me is the "skin harvested from the corpses of executed convicts". Since when do you HARVEST skin....?!

I guess beauty isn't easy nor is making the products easy.

One last thing.. BARF :sick:

This certainly has turned into a pukefest -but keep in mind there are thousands of women who inject collagen into their lips and other parts. And while this collagen doesn't come from prisoners, it comes from cows (much like the insulin that diabetics used a decade or so ago). Unfortunately, if you use humans you can catch Hepatitis, or Human Mad Cow Disease (which exists, you carnivores!)

Maybe it's because I haven't hit 30 yet, but I find the quest for youth at any cost to be quite creepy. Give me a few years, and I might consider Botox - right now it scares the hell out of me!

Speaking of Botox-- there are quite a few cases of people having parts of their faces paralyzed- Don't do it! My dad's good friend (and a Dr I shadowed for a while when pursuing a medical field) is one of the leading plastic surgeons in the country and the world (he actually helped to develop the modified surgery to fix clef-pallet) tells me all about what is good and bad. You would sure be surprised!

But if they didn't announce anything like this... People would still naively purchase these types of crèmes. If you advertised it as an anti-wrinkle cream or etc people will still buy it (without knowing how they obtain their "ingredients"). Weird, eh?