China Imposes Extreme New Limits On Foreign Adoptions

I think it's a bit much. The most understandable limit (to me) is that the applicants cannot be over 50. I'm not saying they shouldn't be able to adopt, but it's questionable how many good years you will have with that child.

I met an amazing woman who adopted a girl from China and she was unmarried. She had researched adoption for about a decade before she decided what was best for her and went ahead with it. She was a teacher, incredibly intelligent, and sweet and you could tell she really loved her daughter.

The income restriction is silly, I can understand there should be some restriction, obviously they want a good life for these children, and they deserve it!! but like the woman in the article said "You don't have to make $80,000 to be great parents."

Uhm...almost everyone is on anti-depressants these days... haha Clearly they should do a mental health evaluation before letting you adopt, and I would think that it would be entirely subjective and personal in sorting this out.

The obese limit should only be applicable if the potential parent is in such a state that they cannot care for the child properly, or are restricted in some way. I had a friend who was considered "obese" and she was like 190 pounds, so that term is way too general, and it should be at the case workers discretion.

I think i covered everything...

I hope no one is offended, but basically for one reason or another these kids are no wanted in their own country, so places these kids of rules are going to get them adopted faster? :confused1:

I think there are many orphaned children and it is very sad for them especially that they won't have a home because of these limitations. The parents who look in China will end up looking and finding children in other regions of the world South America, Africa and different Parts of Asia as well as Russia and all the other countries but the ones who are really suffering are the children. Its a shame.

I find these regulations galling. If they are not going to allow people who take medications for depression to adopt, they should also not allow people with diabetes or other health issues to adopt either.

It is no secret how oppressive the government of China is towards it's people... and this just proves it. They'd rather the unwanted children stay in squalor in their country vs. being somewhere else where they will be loved and cared for. This is nothing short of a human rights atrocity IMO.

Personally, I don't think it's extreme -- adoption standards for American children are much, much more strict in most instances -- especially when it comes to INCOME. I remember when my parents were trying to adopt within America and it amazed me that they couldn't. Much of it is to protect the Chinese children from the human sex/slave market...

OBVIOUSLY, there will be written, reasonable restrictions about what medications are and are not acceptable. It wouldn't be ridiculous to assume that the Chinese would list a simple anti-depressant as reason for rejecting an adoption application. However, should an unstable parent be able to adopt a child? Nothing has been officially documented yet... it's all just hype and discussion.

I find it interesting that most people will not find fault with America's own very high standard of adoption requirements... which I think are excellent. Why shouldn't Chinese children have the same?

Just for the record, my previous post would apply to children of any colour, from China, the States, Canada, Ethiopia, Russia, wherever. People should be evaluated individually.

I think it is ridiculous. The difference to me is that in China there are thousands upon thousands of children in orphanages that need to be adopted to survive, in the USA, there are not. It is completely different to me, and that is why people here go to countries like China to adopt a baby- because the chances of getting one here are slim to none.

For families or single people wanting to adopt, having restrictions like this is such a total blow. So many people want to have kids who can't for many reasons or would rather adopt, and now there are children in China who will never get the chance to be adopted because of restrictions put on the adoption process. The amount of children in China who NEED families is staggering, and the amount of people who want to adopt them could begin to reach this number- if China would only let us.

^^^
The Wall Street Journal's article yesterday stated otherwise. Because there are fewer children to adopt in China, they can afford to be more strict with their regulations. It's interesting to read the different spin given on the story by the WSJ and this newspaper from Tennesse.

I don't see anything wrong with these rules. Obviously if the kids are already in orphanages, they wouldn't be killed like pets if they're not being adopted. Thank you for all the Made in China goods flooding into everywhere, China has become a lot wealthier and the society has changed, so there are less orphans I believe.

China is getting more powerful by the second, without you knowing. Today lots of people still see this country as a developing country, but nobody knows what's really going on inside. I see these new rules as a fancy move from China to show off their resistance to other countries. If we don't wake up now and start doing something, we'll end up sending all our money to China and fill up our houses with junk products. The next thing they're going to send us will be a nuclear bomb.

I don't see anything wrong with these rules. Obviously if the kids are already in orphanages, they wouldn't be killed like pets if they're not being adopted. Thank you for all the Made in China goods flooding into everywhere, China has become a lot wealthier and the society has changed, so there are less orphans I believe.

China is getting more powerful by the second, without you knowing. Today lots of people still see this country as a developing country, but nobody knows what's really going on inside. I see these new rules as a fancy move from China to show off their resistance to other countries. If we don't wake up now and start doing something, we'll end up sending all our money to China and fill up our houses with junk products. The next thing they're going to send us will be a nuclear bomb.

:wtf: For once I'm speechless.

My feelings on this are mixed. I'm really interested in international adoption, a family friend adopted a little girl from Russia six years ago, and I've tried to keep up with reading & researching ever since.

Adoption, on the whole, is a disaster. It's not regulated properly and a lot of kids suffer because of this-both in the US and internationally. I don't think China (in my own opinion) is purposely trying to be anti-Western in this. As someone else pointed out, the sex slave trade is booming. It's sickening, and a lot of countries view this as a viable option for orphans. It takes them off the state's hands. I think it's a good that China is considering the safety & well being of the children instead of just fire selling them to Americans.

I'm less certain about the anti-depressant issue. There are a lot of people on that medication, it would be unfair to eliminate all based on that, but as someone else pointed out, would you want a child going to someone who has tried to commit suicide two or three times? What about someone so mentally unstable that they cannot hold down a job because of their illness? What about someone who feels that having a child in their lives will magically fix the depression for them? There's a lot of gray area on this issue.
I don't think it's a good idea to jump the gun on this issue just yet.

I think trying to have more control over who is getting these children is a good thing. China may be taking it to a little too far, but that remains to be seen. We, as Americans, have a very negative view on China (and horribly incorrect at times as seen by the above poster) because they are a Communist country. Sometimes it is warranted (human rights violations), sometimes it is not (China's economic boom).

I don't feel it's our job to tell other countries how to handle their adoption procedures, especially when ours is such a bloody mess.

Interesting article. It sounds like they are seeking married, healthy, younger parents for the children. Not much wrong there IMO. The income limit is pretty high but then it wouldn't be high for many parts of the country, like NYC, or DC.