chime in on a "forever bag"?

KimTX

O.G.
Mar 19, 2013
Seven months ago, I sold most of my LV collection due to over saturation in my area, and frankly, in my own closet! Now, I only have a speedy 30 DA, and a vintage yellow epi petite noe. Now that the dust has settled and I've purchased some Hermes and Chanel, I'm ready for the carefree usage of mono again. I'd love some ideas and opinions about the mono that you love, and why you love it, if you have the time. I am looking for a "forever" bag. I'm 46 with two teenage kids. I don't want something overly trendy b/c I'd like to carry the bag for at least 10 years, if not for the rest of my days. I want it to be on the larger size, so something like a Pochette Metis would be too small. I prefer shoulder or cross body, with option to hand hold.

Sounds like a speedy b or a Retiro, or Metis hobo. But, I'm thinking too much vachetta is not what I want.

TIA in advance for any opinions! Love this group!

My top three suggestions if you are sticking with canvas would be the Pallas, Eden MM, and Montaigne.

My mom has the Pallas and Eden and both are not overly trendy plus have that touch of leather that just adds something a little more special to the bags.

Hello! Just saw your PM about the Metis.... I am a fan! It took me awhile to warm up to this style, but now I wonder what took me so long! It is big enough without being TOO large or bulky; I love the slim hobo style. The outside pocket is very functional ~ I use it to hold my clues. I don't think this bag is too trendy, as the shoulder/ hobo style is one basic category that stands the test of time. Also, if you don't want to deal with the leather, just use the long strap (I usually just keep both on mine). HTH!

I really love my Palermo PM but not too sure if it is too small for what you are looking. It fits all of my daily needs (large wallet, cosmetic case, ZCP, 6 key holder, beats by Dre headphones, cell phone, and room for more). I love the pleat and the option of wearing it cross body (depending on your frame don't find it as comfortable), over the shoulder, or handheld. Good luck with your decision. Can't wait to see what you decide!

I really love my Palermo PM but not too sure if it is too small for what you are looking. It fits all of my daily needs (large wallet, cosmetic case, ZCP, 6 key holder, beats by Dre headphones, cell phone, and room for more). I love the pleat and the option of wearing it cross body (depending on your frame don't find it as comfortable), over the shoulder, or handheld. Good luck with your decision. Can't wait to see what you decide!

+1 this is the only mono bag left in my collection.

I do think Estrela would be a good option to consider. You don't see a lot of them, multiple carrying options, looks great with a patina, alacantra interior, and from what I can see...no extra glazing to worry about like on the metis. No...I do not own the Estrela...but have researched it after Cornishmon got it. If you don't mind the the glazing on the perimeter of the Metis, I do think it's a nice bag to consider, given that it too has multiple options to wear it. Personally, I go back and forth on it due to the "north south" look, and the finish with the seams/glazing, but I do love it's straps. GLD.

Last edited:
I think the Retiro is the best 'larger' mono bag ever made - seriously. I actually sold mine, which doesn't sound like a recommendation, but it was too big for my needs. Get some Applegard conditioner for the leather trim and it will be fine. The Retiro is so well balanced on the shoulder. It just stays put and is super comfortable. The lining is soft. The opening is wide so you can see and find items easily. Every bit of hardware is engraved with LV, etc. Wonderful detail. The twisted style handles are ergonomic and super smooth. It has feet, a D ring, and the smoothest zipper. You have to at least try it in the store and consider this bag.

Oh dear dear Kim - you have asked a very difficult question! To find the ultimate Monogram handbag that you will carry & treasure for a very long time. ⏳
I'm going to just have fun with this one (and you should too). I recommend the Pallas in Black. This is one fine handbag. The Black has no vachetta at all.
It can be hand or shoulder carried (but the Mono strap is not long enough for cross body, sorry).
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1412894100.554937.jpg
Here's mine in Pink.
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1412895102.475989.jpg
There is a pocket on each side that runs the full length of the bag. Perfect for so many things.
The interior is the color of the leather that's so luxurious.
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1412895214.898621.jpg
This is Quetsche.

My best advice is to go to the Shop and just go to town trying them all. Can I come along? 😃
Can't wait to see what you get!