Chili Peppers to sue Showtime

Swanky

Admin
Admin
O.G.
Jan 12, 2006
Chili Peppers to Showtime -- You Stole Our Name!

Posted Nov 19th 2007 7:23PM by TMZ Staff

The Red Hot Chili Peppers filed suit today against Showtime Networks over a new show called "Californication." In 1999, the band released a hit album with the same name. That album was named one of Rolling Stone's Top 500 Albums of All Time.
1119_rhcp_californication_ap_showtime.jpg

The suit, filed today in Los Angeles Superior Court, alleges Showtime and others violated federal trademark law. In the court documents, the band says the song "Californication" and the album achieved "extraordinary critical and commercial recognition," and according to a statement by lead singer Anthony Kiedis, "'Californication' is the signature CD, video and song of the band's career. For some TV show to come along and steal our identity is not right."

Band members want the show to stop using the name and to turn over any profits it made.

A rep for Showtime could not immediately be reached for comment.

I never really made the connection between the show and the Chili Peppers' song and album until it was pointed out.

Now that it has been pointed out, I agree with Swanky: You would think Showtime would thought to talk to the band before naming the show.

Love the show, hate the song and album. Blood Sugar Sex Magik was much better!!

I also would have figured that Showtime would have looked into the copyright issue with using Californication. This should be interesting!

the album achieved "extraordinary critical and commercial recognition,"
says the band. LOL It was not a great album. Did they have a patent on that term? I had heard that term before they came out with the album. It's been almost 10 years since that album. Did they come out with another one afterwards or do they need money now?

Showtime really should of looked into things before using it though.

I thought for sure Showtime would have consulted RHCP before debuting the show. As for best album, my vote goes to Mother's Milk or Uplift Mofo Party Plan ... but I'm showing my age so I'll shut up.

From Wikipedia:

Californication is a portmanteau of California and fornication, written about in Time on August 21, 1972 and seen on bumper stickers in the U.S. states of Colorado, Oregon, Idaho,[1] and Washington.[2] It refers primarily to a "haphazard, mindless development that has already gobbled up most of Southern California",[3] which some attribute to an influx of Californians to other states in the Western U.S.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Californication_(portmanteau)

Oh please. The word "Californication" has been common usage since the 1970s. Anyone should be able to use it for anything.

seriously!!! PLEASE red hot chilli peppers get over yourself! californiacation i have seen the show and never ONCE did i think of the RHCP album and i had that album still never ever did i think of it
thats lame i home they dont get any $$!!:cursing: greedy b#$##@#