Childcare providers

statfan

Dec 17, 2006
This is a question to people with children who have some type of childcare provider (babysitter, nanny, daycare,ect...). Do you tip them for the holidays? I was recently at a wedding where someone told me she tipped the people who worked at her daughter's daycare like 20 each for the holiday. :confused1: I've never heard of this. Is it common?

I babysat/nannied a ton in college, and around the Holidays I got a gift- a nice gift certificate. It just depends I suppose.

Yes, it is very common. My son goes to an afterschool program and i tipped each of his counselors (he has 4). I gave them each a box of chocolates and a $10 gift card to Barnes & Noble.

I ALWAYS tip my babysitters.OR I give them gift cards to their fave stores.I am very close to one of my sitters,she is like a daughter to me.She has watched my daughter since she was in diapers...she is now almost 11!!!I actually gave her a Tiffanys necklace as a gift once.

I don't have a babysitter, but I used to be one. Most of the families I worked with did give me a little something for the holidays. Sometimes it would be cookies that the kids helped bake, sometimes extra cash (around $40) and sometimes gifts (bath stuff, perfume, gift cert, etc).

I don't think it's required but I think if you have a good relationship with your child care provider and you feel that they are going above and beyond what is required of them I think it's a nice gesture :smile:

I always get them some kind of a present - movie tix, chocolate, books. Just a little thank you for taking great care of the kids plus I know they spend their own $$ too to buy things to use in class.

I have never had a consistent babysitter other than relatives who I get gifts for anyway. As far as childcare providers in a daycare center, I don't give them gifts.

I always gave my childcare provider gifst for the holidays. i also gave gifts once in a while just because... and because i really appreciated her. childcare providers are hard to come by these days.

I worked in a preschool last year and I know in that school. The PTA sent home a note for money so that their was a collection so that the teacher's received as well as support staff, ie cleaning people and secretary.

I always assume that the people who take care of your most valuable treasures you would want to express your gratitude towards.