Chick-Lit :)

Dani

Feb 3, 2006
SO.

I have recently ( since this past summer) become really fond of "chick-lit" of sorts. From the Devil Wears Prada, to the Shopoholic series, I'm obsessed!

I just figured it would be fun to see ( if they read it) people's favorite girly books, and hopefully pick up some good reccomendations.

My favorites are:

Bergedorf Blondes ( seriously such an entertaining book, the main character is despicably shallow, and I love it.)
Any of the Shopoholic books ( Becky is a BAD influence on me)
4 Blondes, Trading up
and The Devil Wears Prada.

I just figured on a purse themed forum, there would be other girls who read these kinds of books too. Sometimes it's nice to just read something completely not challanging and fun.
:love:

I haven't read any Chick Lit books in a while, but I used to be into anything by Jane Green. Her writing was so witty. I enjoyed reading "Jemima J", I thought it was cute :biggrin:

I really need some new books, I have to get to Barnes & Noble soon.

I'm not really a fan, the first Shopaholic book was cute (only one I've read) and I love Bridget Jones, but that's about it for my chick-lit know how ! Oh, I do have Devil Wears Prada on reserve at the library !

i hated The Devil Wears Prada with every ounce of my being and the fire of a thousand suns. the time i spend reading that book is time i will never get back. it would have been easier, shorter, and accomplished the exact same goal if the author had just listed as many high-end brands as she could think of, because the book was mostly just about how many designers she could name drop.

seriously, awful book. not worth the paper it's written on.

amanda said:
i hated The Devil Wears Prada with every ounce of my being and the fire of a thousand suns. the time i spend reading that book is time i will never get back. it would have been easier, shorter, and accomplished the exact same goal if the author had just listed as many high-end brands as she could think of, because the book was mostly just about how many designers she could name drop.

seriously, awful book. not worth the paper it's written on.

haha, I can understand why some people would hate the book. I thought it was enjoyable- and it is supposedly based on the editor of Vouge.

Have you tried Bergedorf Blondes? It's a lot sillier and pretty enjoyable.

Dani said:
haha, I can understand why some people would hate the book. I thought it was enjoyable- and it is supposedly based on the editor of Vouge.

Have you tried Bergedorf Blondes? It's a lot sillier and pretty enjoyable.

i can't bring myself to buy chick lit after that experience, even though bergdorf blondes is enticing. it's a 'trick me once - shame on you. trick me twice - shame on me!' thing. i'll be even more angry if i hate it the second time around because i didn't learn from the first time.

amanda said:
i can't bring myself to buy chick lit after that experience, even though bergdorf blondes is enticing. it's a 'trick me once - shame on you. trick me twice - shame on me!' thing. i'll be even more angry if i hate it the second time around because i didn't learn from the first time.

haha, trust me- they're really different books.

The Devil Wears Prada was slightly plodding and had an overall negative tone.

Bergedorf Blondes is totally different. Don't expect too much from it, and you'll be fine.

The main character is a really shallow NY girl, who is best friends with a department store heiress. Story-lines are along the lines of girls wanting fiancees because they think it gives them "better skin than vitamin C treatments" and the main girl attempting to commit suicide in the Paris Ritz, on 8 advil.

:-P

The last "chick-lit" I read was called "I Don't Know How She Does It" and I wanted to kick the main character in the knees. Before that I read "the Nanny Diaries" on a plane and don't remember any of it.

I'm currently reading The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. My next book will probably be In Cold Blood by Truman Capote.

Bergedorf Blondes was a cute fun book to read. I really enjoy Meg Cabot's books--she also wrote the Princess Diaries books, but also writes for adults. Jennifer Weiner is good too--I really enjoyed her "Good in Bed." Also, Jennifer Sturman has two chick-lit, mystery books that are a fun read.

I have a hard time reading anything heavy... I think it's since my job requires heaving reading!

ooo chicklit lol I LIVED on that in 04. I really enjoyed the ones you posted, also the Thin pink line, something borrowed (I'm now reading the next one called Something Blue), Jennifer Weiner's books, and some Sarah Mylnowsky (sp). Its so much fun to read, however I felt like I lost braincells reading so much of it :lol:

I read the Janet Evanovich novels that feature Stephanie Plum. That's about as close as I get to chick lit. I have read some Jennifer Weiner books, too. I always think of these as "summertime" books, for some reason.