Travel CHICAGO! Tips, restaurants and hotel advice!

I'd love to move to Chicago. I'm pretty much over Vegas. DH hates the cold, but I think he'll cave when we have kids - Chicago or Philly - to be close to one family or the other. Or maybe St. Paul for work.

I LOVE Chicago -- moved here from California. And yes, it is cold, but it toughens us up and there are more payoffs than not. A gorgeous city, the most relevant city architecturally, IMO (and many others, as one famous historian said, "New York has buildings. Chicago has architecture). Precisely why I moved here, for the amazing beauty of this city. I think Daniel Burnham would be proud... sorry, you can see I am a Chicago fanatic!!

Summers are GREAT here. There's always so much to do. Come visit us again, Liz!!!

I like the following hotels...
- The James (1 block off Michigan on Rush/Ontario)
- Peninsula (Right on Michigan Ave/Rush St)
- Sofitel (my parents lived here for 5 months while their apartment was being renovated...It's a amazing hotel, rooms and service are great).

I LOVE Chicago -- moved here from California. And yes, it is cold, but it toughens us up and there are more payoffs than not. A gorgeous city, the most relevant city architecturally, IMO (and many others, as one famous historian said, "New York has buildings. Chicago has architecture). Precisely why I moved here, for the amazing beauty of this city. I think Daniel Burnham would be proud... sorry, you can see I am a Chicago fanatic!!

Summers are GREAT here. There's always so much to do. Come visit us again, Liz!!!

That's one thing that I absolutely loved about Chicago. All the buildings and structures were amazing. And I loved the creative art they had here and there in the city - the "spitting faces" (can't think of the correct name LOL!) at Millennium Park were pretty cool IMO.

Just got the name - The Crown Fountain.

Yes they have some beautiful architecture here. We live in the suburbs west of the city. I love to take visiting out of towners over to things on the lake/river while they were in town. The first time my future in-laws visited we took them on caf's architecture cruise and they just loved it.

I wouldn't mind milder winters, but it's not so bad. I just fuss a little when I'm really cold. My fiance though grew up in Alaska sooo every time I complain about being cold, he threatens to whisk me off to Alaska to toughen me up. ;)

DH and I are planning a long weekend trip to the Windy City and I am looking for a boutique hotel under $250/night that is hip, but chill with a nice lounge/bar and close to Mag Mile and restaurants on Rush.

Any suggestions? Anyone stayed at The James or W?

about a year ago, my friend and I stayed at the James for a girls' weekend. LOVED IT!!

Great amenities in the rooms, nice little bar for pre-going-out cocktails and the concierges were fabulous with dinner and club recommendations and reservations!

Its location is fabulous with Michigan Ave shopping very close by and the other street (parallel to Mich Ave) with tons of cute outdoor restaurants and clubs.

I highly, highly recommend the James! :tup: