Chicago Hermes Looting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, but I don't think community service is appropriate for grand larceny.....

It isn't.

And frankly, the fact that this sort of behaviour has been allowed to go on for as long as it's been is absolutely disgusting & absurd. This is opportunism, and it is flat out theft and vandalism. This has nothing to do with a movement. It's criminal activity and should be treated as such.

I often read comments from NYT articles, and you wouldn't believe how many people say riots throughout the U.S. caused extremely little, if any, damage. They refuse to admit rioters and looters are a problem and see them as victims or peaceful protestors instead with just a couple of bad apples here and there. Tell that to the tens of thousands of small business owners who've lost everything to riots, and looters being characterized as "not a problem" or "victims". Tell that to the merchants on Michigan Ave and Oak Street. One rioter on a bullhorn said rioting is totally justified because it allows the looters "to buy a loaf of bread that day" so they don't starve and the businesses have insurance anyway. Serious.
..............so if somebody has a life insurance policy on themselves, can they be justifiably mugged and murdered because, heck, dang it, THEY GOT LIFE INSURANCE that goes to their family and their mugger/murderer can buy a loaf of bread that day. I mean, let's be consistent. Doesn't everybody break windows and steal Hermes handbags SO THEY CAN BUY A LOAF OF BREAD? "Hi Grocery Store Clerk, I'm BUYING a loaf of bread (not stealing bread because stealing bread is beneath me) so I can eat today. Interested in any Birkins I got for free and am selling on eBay? I'm a victim!"

Without being too much of a jerk, I cannot believe people defend looting because it is “not as serious” as other offenses. And it “doesn’t matter because it only represents a few of the people protesting”...uh...look how many people fit into that back room!!!

I’m thankful for the new security measures it seems that the Boston store implemented.

I often read comments from NYT articles, and you wouldn't believe how many people say riots throughout the U.S. caused extremely little, if any, damage. They refuse to admit rioters and looters are a problem and see them as victims or peaceful protestors instead with just a couple of bad apples here and there. Tell that to the tens of thousands of small business owners who've lost everything to riots, and looters being characterized as "not a problem" or "victims". Tell that to the merchants on Michigan Ave and Oak Street. One rioter on a bullhorn said rioting is totally justified because it allows the looters "to buy a loaf of bread that day" so they don't starve and the businesses have insurance anyway. Serious.
..............so if somebody has a life insurance policy on themselves, can they be justifiably mugged and murdered because, heck, dang it, THEY GOT LIFE INSURANCE that goes to their family and their mugger/murderer can buy a loaf of bread that day. I mean, let's be consistent. Doesn't everybody break windows and steal Hermes handbags SO THEY CAN BUY A LOAF OF BREAD? "Hi Grocery Store Clerk, I'm BUYING a loaf of bread (not stealing bread because stealing bread is beneath me) so I can eat today. Interested in any Birkins I got for free and am selling on eBay? I'm a victim!"

Oh man i saw a video while protests were happening in Providence Rhode Island of looters robbing a mom and pop shoe store and then SET IT ON FIRE while people lived in the apartments above the store. Disgusting.

If they were stealing bread and actual basic needs I’d be much less disgusted than stealing valuable goods to “stick it to the man”. “The man” doesn’t care.

They look like well organized gang of miserable bastards, makes me SICK! Some are dumb enough to sell their stolen goods on Offerup.com and one by one they are being arrested. Stolens goods=bad karma. I wonder if H ever got around to putting tracking devices in their bags and in their clothes? I sure hope so. We will be lucky if the store ever opens up again and if it does, I hope they will have armed security guards 24/7 to keep the staff, the clients and the merchandise safe. Chicago, my favorite place is just a nightmare these days. It isn't safe to walk the streets at any hour. You have a target on your head if you have any sign of a visible luxury possession, gone are the days of strolling down Oak Street window shopping. Gone are the days of so many things. I hope they bring in the National Guard to help restore some law and order.

Agree

There is a difference

There are looters
There are vandals
There are protesters

Looters are not the same as protesters.

...I wonder how many B/K (that are never available) were in the back:blah: ?

This!!!

My heart breaks for Chicago (will always be my favorite city I ever lived in), but being this is the purse forum... I also had the thought of “I wonder just how many Birkins/Kellys they had in storage...” And quite frankly, I always assumed they were in a locked vault type of room?

They look like well organized gang of miserable bastards, makes me SICK! Some are dumb enough to sell their stolen goods on Offerup.com and one by one they are being arrested. Stolens goods=bad karma. I wonder if H ever got around to putting tracking devices in their bags and in their clothes? I sure hope so. We will be lucky if the store ever opens up again and if it does, I hope they will have armed security guards 24/7 to keep the staff, the clients and the merchandise safe. Chicago, my favorite place is just a nightmare these days. It isn't safe to walk the streets at any hour. You have a target on your head if you have any sign of a visible luxury possession, gone are the days of strolling down Oak Street window shopping. Gone are the days of so many things. I hope they bring in the National Guard to help restore some law and order.
This is so sad. I don’t live in Chicago but have a good friend living there. The city’s described as a huge nightmare now. Because of these latest incidents, their residential street has hired even more private security guards to keep their street safe. They don’t feel safe going out anymore. I feel lucky and relatively safe to be living where I am.

Do these looters and rioters even understand what kind of incredible disservice they are providing to those protesting rightfully and peacefully?

Personally it reminds me of the one night in a big German city I got caught up in the middle of a "protest" by a group of people well known for often exaggerated violent protests against the "establishment". They try to loot, put stuff on fire, break windows, throw trash cans, destroy outdoor furniture from restaurants/cafés (...).

As I had no chance to evade it, I decided to let myself into a nearby foyer/self service/ATM room of a bank with my credit card. (Just in case someone doesn't know: In Germany many self service locations/ bank foyers with ATM inside can be accessed after hours/ especially at night by inserting either your bank or credit card. The doors will close behind you, you can go out and they open automatically, but the doors will not automatically open when someone passes by on the outside)

This way I was sure I couldn't be attacked from the back, any attacker would need to approach me directly. Makes self defense a little easier. Plus the door works like a bottle neck.

Long story short, when I was back home I decided to look this up, and sure enough these fools even wrote reports on how it went, what they destroyed/ or couldn't for that matter on corresponding/ scene related blogs.

It's crazy that people would even come to defend this type of behavior/ actions.

But still, I think the worst is really the disservice they provide to the peaceful protesters and rightful cause. People look at this and say, "yeah right, protests ...".

Kind regards,
Oliver

They hope to be open again September 1.
The whole situation in Chicago is increasingly unstable.
A few days before the looting there was a drive by shooting and death a few doors down from Hermes on Oak Street, in broad daylight.

I looked it up, Broad daylight a popular Chicagoan FBG Duck was shot by multiple people.:-s

This!!!

My heart breaks for Chicago (will always be my favorite city I ever lived in), but being this is the purse forum... I also had the thought of “I wonder just how many Birkins/Kellys they had in storage...” And quite frankly, I always assumed they were in a locked vault type of room?

It looks like Birkin 25 boxes On the movable shelves, I hope I’m wrong. The residents are also suffering, hopefully the community improves.

I hope the staff is doing alright. I am sure it will be difficult for them to go back to work after seeing their workplace destroyed.

Morale must be low after this. I hope they add more

Reactions: RT1 and TankerToad
We live in an affluent part of our metro area. I was very surprised to see that our malls, boutiques, and high end dealerships were targeted. What was scary for us, however, were all of the posts on social media by people claiming that they were coming into our specific neighbourhood to "take what is theirs." We didn't sleep that night and kept all the lights on. In the end, nothing happened outside of the damage to retail locations, but it was scary nonetheless and absurdly undeserved. Our Porsche dealership actually moved every last piece of inventory off property before this occured; driving by felt Apocalyptic. It was a very terrible feeling.

What happened at H, I'll reiterate, is not part of a movement. It is not a race thing. It is just a group of criminals who should be prosecuted as such. The unwillingness to treat these criminals & opportunists as what they are, and the mitigation of consequence, is disgusting. The people of Chicago should not have to fear when walking down their own street or shopping in certain districts.

Keep in mind the high level of unemployment right now. The additional unemployment compensation has lapsed and no one is stepping in to pick up the slack. People are at the end of their ropes, and if they have to steal to survive, can we blame them? No employees were harmed since the store was closed when the break-in occurred. Hermes is a multi-billion-dollar company and will recover just fine. When the government fails to come to the aid of people who are suffering, both as a result of this pandemic and the ghastly income disparities already present in this country, property theft is inevitable.

When the people who enforce the laws (police and the sheriff's) don't do their jobs properly, there isn't any law, just a fight for survival.
These looters are common thieves
Keep in mind the high level of unemployment right now. The additional unemployment compensation has lapsed and no one is stepping in to pick up the slack. People are at the end of their ropes, and if they have to steal to survive, can we blame them? No employees were harmed since the store was closed when the break-in occurred. Hermes is a multi-billion-dollar company and will recover just fine. When the government fails to come to the aid of people who are suffering, both as a result of this pandemic and the ghastly income disparities already present in this country, property theft is inevitable.
If you look at the pictures of these thieves, I hardly believe that they are stealing to survive.
It also does not matter whether the store was closed, they still took advantage of the situation to cause mayhem, vandalism, theft, and destruction.
These are all things that morally capable people would never consider doing.
There is NO justification for these people doing what they did.

When the people who enforce the laws (police and the sheriff's) don't do their jobs properly, there isn't any law, just a fight for survival.
These looters are common thieves

If you look at the pictures of these thieves, I hardly believe that they are stealing to survive.
It also does not matter whether the store was closed, they still took advantage of the situation to cause mayhem, vandalism, theft, and destruction.
These are all things that morally capable people would never consider doing.
There is NO justification for these people doing what they did.

How can you tell just by looking at their pictures what their motives are?

Reactions: aBeautyFairy
Status
Not open for further replies.