Chicago area Burberry outlet news

viciel

Glendarroch
O.G.
Nov 9, 2006
Hey ladies and gents,
Burberry is closing its outlet in Michigan City (just a little over an hour from Chicago) permanently as part of the company's 15 year plan since Christopher Bailey took the helm (away from discounts, heads towards higher end cliente, higher $$, bespoke services, etc). The store will close on January 27. Slowly most if not all of the outlets will be closed in the next few years. I don't believe there's any special sales going on, just their usual end of holiday season 50% off (off already outlet'd price)stuff and a few 40% off (same deal) items with some new full (outlet) price arrivals (usually 30% off of MSRP).
Good hunting!:biggrin:

PS. If this has already been posted, MODs please feel free to redirect/modify, thank you!

Hey ladies and gents,
Burberry is closing its outlet in Michigan City (just a little over an hour from Chicago) permanently as part of the company's 15 year plan since Christopher Bailey took the helm (away from discounts, heads towards higher end cliente, higher $$, bespoke services, etc). The store will close on January 27. Slowly most if not all of the outlets will be closed in the next few years. I don't believe there's any special sales going on, just their usual end of holiday season 50% off (off already outlet'd price)stuff and a few 40% off (same deal) items with some new full (outlet) price arrivals (usually 30% off of MSRP).
Good hunting!:biggrin:

PS. If this has already been posted, MODs please feel free to redirect/modify, thank you!

Wow...don't know how to feel about it....Outlets are attractive yet scary as well...i definitely like to go to outlets because they have things from past seasons but hate it because I buy current season Prorsum and hate it go on sale or go to outlets...it angers me to pay full retail and then it made it into the discount pile...this is a mixed feeling issue.

I used to go there all of the time. Back in the day, before they expanded and remodeled the location, it was a great store and you could find so many deals. I remember getting my rainboots there for $50 and several other trenches and coats for under $100. Those days are sadly gone.

I feel that Burberry was duping patrons with the outlet concept in recent years anyways. Close to 80% of the merchandise that each Burberry outlet carries is "outlet specfic," meaning that it is manufactured specifically for sale at outlet locations with no prior intention of being sold at a full-price, retail boutique. The materials used for these "outlet specific" items are not on par with the items sold in boutiques; they are of lower quality. The outlets just slap on a tag with an unrealistic MSRP and mark down a certain percentage, fooling buyers into thinking that they are getting a discount on a Burberry item, when in reality all they are getting is a sub-par piece at a lower price, therefore equating the price. I remember from 2006 and back, Burberry outlets always had a deal. You could get a cashmere scarf with the proper check pattern (not one with the check chopped off in the middle) for $120 or lower depending on the sale being offered. Now, the outlets are just meh.

IMO, if Bailey wants to make his brand more exclusive he should try and consolidate, if not get rid, of some of the Burberry lines (i.e., Brit and/or London) as well, as move manufacturing back to the U.K., if not then into developed Europe. I've been shocked to see the brand charge $495 for a jacket which was made in Thailand. Now, I only shop Burberry when there are deep discounts and only at department stores or boutiques.

I feel that Burberry was duping patrons with the outlet concept in recent years anyways. Close to 80% of the merchandise that each Burberry outlet carries is "outlet specfic," meaning that it is manufactured specifically for sale at outlet locations with no prior intention of being sold at a full-price, retail boutique. The materials used for these "outlet specific" items are not on par with the items sold in boutiques; they are of lower quality. The outlets just slap on a tag with an unrealistic MSRP and mark down a certain percentage, fooling buyers into thinking that they are getting a discount on a Burberry item, when in reality all they are getting is a sub-par piece at a lower price, therefore equating the price. I remember from 2006 and back, Burberry outlets always had a deal. You could get a cashmere scarf with the proper check pattern (not one with the check chopped off in the middle) for $120 or lower depending on the sale being offered. Now, the outlets are just meh.

IMO, if Bailey wants to make his brand more exclusive he should try and consolidate, if not get rid, of some of the Burberry lines (i.e., Brit and/or London) as well, as move manufacturing back to the U.K., if not then into developed Europe. I've been shocked to see the brand charge $495 for a jacket which was made in Thailand. Now, I only shop Burberry when there are deep discounts and only at department stores or boutiques.

well said. I don't buy Burberry as often any more. If I do buy, I wait for 60% off deal from department stores. Because that's generally expected.

You do have a point...thats why i tend to stick to Prorsum because they are made in Italy and imo better quality.

I didn't know that, interesting! I wonder if that varies from outlet to outlet, also whether it's country specific. The Cabazon outlet had a ton of prorsum items when I visited earlier this month. And at the Chicago outlet I I don't follow much of Burberry's news (I have a few scarfs and throws, a couple of jackets and a few pairs of boots, but that's about it, no hardcore follower/fan/expert by any means), but I do know that if you purchase from their stores, it's exchangeable/returnable anywhere else in the world except for the stores in Brazil and China (I think there are a couple other countries on there, maybe India and another place??)...could that mean something?

The Burberry has taken the fate of Coach, no offense to those who like Coach.

Coach used to be a coveted American designer. However, in recent times, upper management has driven the brand into the ground. In times gone by, ALL Coach pieces were made in the U.S.A. and there were only a handful of places where you could procure their products (including, department stores and a few freestanding boutiques and outlets). The people at the brand got greedy and decided to offshore manufacturing to China. Because China has the labor force to manufacture and supply products in great volume, Coach decided to expand their distribution by opening up more freestanding boutiques and outlets. In addition, they allowed for department stores to discount their merchandise (in the 90s, Coach NEVER went on sale according to my mom). They overexpanded and too quickly and their brand really lost it's coveted nature. Now, they have mall boutiques and outlet locations all over the place, and practically every mid-range and high-end department store carries their product. In the mid-2000s, they decided to make the outlets a separate entity within the company and also began to manufacture outlet specific merchandise for sale only at outlet locations.

Burberry has mirrored Coach's business plan as of recent. They've shifted much of their manufacturing to the developing world, much to the detriment of their brand. They've also expanded their boutique and outlet locations far too aggressively; there are three Burberry locations within a 45 minute drive of me and I don't even live in Manhattan where that wouldn't be too far fetched. In addition, their product distribution is far too expansive; Macy's were I lives carries men's Burberry suits!

Now, it's up to Bailey and the rest of upper-management to do damage control. If I were them, I would try and mimic Hermes' business model and strategy. It may come at great cost to them monetarily, but it will better their brand image and will only go to serve the customer.

Sorry for the rant. It's just a shame to see an iconic brand go to shambles before your eyes.

Last edited:
^ agreed. The Burberry outlet doesn't even have things on sale, just outlet items that are priced like the boutique items. The trip out to one was quite disappointing. There was one prorsum item, but it looked like it had been tossed around on the table it sat on.

I've found better deals just waiting on sales at a department store.

Never impressed with the Michigan City outlet, so I can't say I'm sad to see it go.

However, last summer, I went to a Burberry Outlet in Orlando. It was unbelievably great !

Favorite purchase was a very long, very wide, cashmere scarf (kinda like a shoulder wrap) in gray plaid for $45.

My only regret is not buying in black too!