Chic French women don't wear makeup

wow. what an insulting, condescending article. i love generalizations! i've been to france and not every french woman is chic, not every one of them wears minimal to no make-up either. just like (surprise!) we're not all britney spears wannabes schellacking on the foundation with a trowel. besides, i appreciate creativity with makeup especially when it's done very well and artfully. i love the natural look as much as the next supposed french woman does, but it gets boring! and if i were adept with eyeliner and the art of eyeshadow blending, i'd do more!

i'm just so sick of french worship (they're so stylish! they're so chic! they're so thin!). it's tired.

Totally Agree!!

Tadpolenyc- I completely agree. What's with all the pidgeonholing? Why can't we just all be women, whatever our nationality, enjoying one of womankind's privileges: makeup and pampering. This does not make anyone a 'streetwalker'

Exactly Mrs H! everyone woman is different and I think its always best to have your own individual style rather than follow the masses. I will stick to be being Me!

wow. what an insulting, condescending article. i love generalizations! i've been to france and not every french woman is chic, not every one of them wears minimal to no make-up either. just like (surprise!) we're not all britney spears wannabes schellacking on the foundation with a trowel. besides, i appreciate creativity with makeup especially when it's done very well and artfully. i love the natural look as much as the next supposed french woman does, but it gets boring! and if i were adept with eyeliner and the art of eyeshadow blending, i'd do more!

i'm just so sick of french worship (they're so stylish! they're so chic! they're so thin!). it's tired.

:goodpost:

I have to agree with Tadpolenyc. Like her, I've been to Paris and I didn't see these mythical creatures of chic, effortless mythology everywhere I looked. In fact, many of them looked exactly like me, the American 'bum' schlepping through the city in flats, torn up jeans, and J. Crew t-shirt. And yeah, like me, they also seemed to enjoy their eyeliner and mascara.

So I take this article with a rather large grain of salt.

I laugh when I read the french are behind with injectibles, there are doctors aplenty and good ones too in paris! Sebagh etc, maybe the french are better at creating an illusion of "we are like this naturally" when they are just the same as everyone else at the end of the day? I do feel however generally the french are slimmer JMHO

Okay. Great for them. But not everyone has that perfect skin even though they might be using skin care. Like my skin is pretty healthy, but it's naturally oily, and I am pale as hell - every little red irritation looks like I have a huge zit. I can only cover that up...

I agree with the article to a certain degree... even though I think the article is a bit condescending but generalisation usually rings some truth... I don't think it's just french women though... I think in general people in Western Europe has that more natural relaxed look compared to American... once again not saying everyone is the same but I'm just an outsider... I'm not French/European and not American so I'm just saying what I see... like what I said before generalisation usually rings some truth just like how the french are considered snobs... not saying every single french are like that cos I have definitely met french people who are friendly but the statement also not entirely false... I think when there are statements like that people tend to take it as personal attack when it could be just general observation...

Well, if you have to talk about how 'chic' you are, you're really not that chic in my book. I've been to France and personal experience tells me that they like makeup just as much as the next girl anywhere in the world. They think they're better than anyone else? Well, I can certainly see alot more of that in the bigger cities like Paris(though that's sort of a Parisian thing to do), but I don't find that to be the case in the countryside. The article is biased imho and you switch up the names of the locations and people a bit and it can be easily used as a 'NYC' piece, as most girls on the street in NYC looks alot less made up than I'd see on the West Coast too. But that's too much generalization. Trust me, if not wearing make up is all you need to be 'chic', we wouldn't be seeing increasing sales everywhere on cosmetics, lol.

This puts me off buying any more LM products. For someone who is getting rich off US customers she should have said something more tactful than basically, "A lot of American women and girls look like hookers."

Is there a country i can move to where stretchy pants, zits, and a hairy body are chic? It would shave off an hour from my daily skincare routine and save me a few bucks. I'm still not giving up my makeup! One of my obsessions is face painting with new fun shimmering lines!! I havent been solicited yet....well once, but i had no makeup on then. LOL

^^LOL!!

I agree with Tadpolenyc and Chriseve. Also, just to add to what others have also observed- i have been to France many times and the women there do not look particularly more beautiful or "chic?"
IMO- girls in NYC are alot more fashion forward than the French? just my own observations.

This puts me off buying any more LM products. For someone who is getting rich off US customers she should have said something more tactful than basically, "A lot of American women and girls look like hookers."

I agree. This comment is in bad taste, especially since her product is sold in every major department store in America. I found this article insulting. Make-up should be fun and a form of expressing yourself and being creative.

Agreed. It is getting kind of ridiculous. Apparently if a person was lucky enough to be born French, they inherently know how to dress, will always be thin, will have perfect skin without makeup and will have women the world over worship them. It really is getting tired. NY and Japanese style interest me far more, and there are understated women with fabulous skin the world over.