Chevron Boy v Quilted. Shiny Light Gold Hardware v brushed gold?

Mugglesbelike

May 7, 2019
Hello!

Long time lurker and finally first time chanel purchaser! :biggrin:

As beautiful as the flaps are the Boy bag had just always had my heart. On Saturday I purchased a medium caviar boy with brushed gold HW. I totally thought I was going for the ruthenium HW in the small but when I saw the gold it felt very special and the small was too small.

Yesterday I walked into another Chanel boutique just to make sure about the size and saw a medium chevron in the shiny Champange light gold HW and had conflicting feelings about my purchase.

Hardware
1) is the brushed gold too yellow?
2) will the brushed gold hold up over time better b.c it will scratch up less than the shiny
Pattern
3) quilted has a more classic feel chevron for me has a clean/cool look to it. I’m torn, I think I like the chevron more but i’m Worried if in 5 years time let’s say the more classic quilt will stand the test of time.

Help! I just bought in Saturday so I am still in the 2 week period to return.

Another point to note, although both are 27s the chevron I saw felt a lot more lived in/soft/broken in than the quilted caviar I just bought. I don’t want to return mine and exchange it for something that feels notibly softer if that makes sense even though they are both have the same graining.

Here are some photos of the hardware differences and the quilted I bought v the chevron I just saw

Attachments

• 84C0AB9F-D65E-4773-AD7A-6D24F0F171EC.jpeg
    84C0AB9F-D65E-4773-AD7A-6D24F0F171EC.jpeg
    155.1 KB · Views: 454
  • EEAD7781-5B2D-478E-B5E2-A1B5C2834BFC.jpeg
    EEAD7781-5B2D-478E-B5E2-A1B5C2834BFC.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 447
  • 9A5235D6-C98C-417B-A84D-3FC01E337BE7.jpeg
    9A5235D6-C98C-417B-A84D-3FC01E337BE7.jpeg
    73.7 KB · Views: 442
I think it may just boil down to personal preference. Is the chevron boy smooth calfskin? I don't see a lot of the chevron blacks in caviar. If it's calfskin, I think that's a more important factor in the consideration. Since it looks like you're trying on the old medium size, the calfskin is more prone to 'distortion'. Might not be the best word / sounds more serious, but if you look at reviews, smooth calfskin medium boys bags tend to dent at the top over time, corners get scruffed up easier etc

Thanks for your reply dbcelly! I’m sure I am over thinking it but the chevron is the the textured leather. It looked and felt like caviar but I can ask the SA if it was a textured calfskin. I also have a side by side of a lambskin quilted and a the chevron that I saw yesterday. The one I purchased (I somehow do not have a close up :-/ ) is textured. When I get home I can look at the style number and confirm the exact leather.

If the calfskin is more prone to softening up and changing it’s shape that wouldn’t be ideal.

Thanks for weighing in!

Attachments

• 2C063A78-5ABC-4AF2-89D5-60960D2EE234.jpeg
    2C063A78-5ABC-4AF2-89D5-60960D2EE234.jpeg
    166.2 KB · Views: 411
Reactions: taemisung and Bambs
Thanks everyone for the input! It is appreciated .

The SA said the chevron confirmed that the chevron is a textured lambskin? While the quilted one I purchased was a grained calfskin. Does that sound right to you.

Sounds like the Boy’s come in lambskin or calfskin not the caviar like the flaps and the calfskin can be a smooth calfskin or a more textured calfskin?

The material / HW code for the quilted I bought is Y83339. Any idea what the material/HW code description is?

I like the brushed gold more! I personally don't like shiny hardware on boys - doesn't go with the edgy vibe of the bag imo. I don't know about material but isn't grained calfskin - caviar? (I am not an expert at all so im sure someone else will chime in )

So many votes for the brushed gold! Yes I see what you’re saying the brushed has an edgy/cool vibe and the shiny HW has, idk I pretty/glam/special occasion feel?

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

The material/hardware code for chevron boy with the shiny pale gold HW above (see pic with the Taco above) is B00315, grained calfskin. The quilted boy (see cat picture) Y83339 is also grained calfskin with brushed gold hardware.

So both grained calfskin per Chanel customer service.

Hi!
Your Boy journey is so similar to mine! At the launch of Act 2, I went to the boutique to get my first Boy. My SA told me to come on launch day to see what was available. She made it sound like they could sell out of Boys when, in fact, I saw a drawerful of them in all kinds of colours.

First, I looked at a black caviar with RHW, which was my first choice. I liked it but wasn't wowed. It would've been fine for casual occasions but I wanted something more versatile. Something that could go from day to evening in a pinch. Obviously, for formal occasions, I would take a classic flap instead of a Boy. But I wanted my Boy to do double duty most days.

Next, she showed me a chevron with shiny GHW. I thought it was lambskin but it was probably grained calfskin, like the one you saw. Now, that bag wowed me! I tried it and walked around the boutique for a good 15 minutes. It was beautiful, dressy, and would be suitable for evenings. But the more I looked at the chain, the more I noticed its shininess. I felt like the chain was in-your-face shiny LOL. Compared to the caviar Boy with RHW, this Boy was at the other end of the spectrum. It would look overly dressy for day (especially since I wear casual clothes most of the time) but great for evening.

Also, I was having second thoughts about chevron. It's lovely and modern but not as iconic as Chanel quilting. By now, I was feeling like Goldilocks. :biggrin:

So, I asked my SA if she had any quilted Boys with GHW. She brought out a grained calfskin with brushed GHW. I knew, in that instant, this was the one. The grained calfskin looks more refined than caviar, the GHW more dressy than RHW, and the brushed/matte finish more subtle than shiny gold. It checked all the boxes and came home with me.

Just wanted to share my thoughts. All variations of the Boy are beautiful in their own way, so you need to find the one that suits your style best. But you know which Boy gets my vote. :smile: Good luck with your decision!

So many votes for the brushed gold! Yes I see what you’re saying the brushed has an edgy/cool vibe and the shiny HW has, idk I pretty/glam/special occasion feel?

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

The material/hardware code for chevron boy with the shiny pale gold HW above (see pic with the Taco above) is B00315, grained calfskin. The quilted boy (see cat picture) Y83339 is also grained calfskin with brushed gold hardware.

So both grained calfskin per Chanel customer service.

Last edited:
HiromiT!

Thanks for sharing your experience, very similar to what I am going through now!

Would love to see a mod shot with your boy :smile:

I also, inspite of having always been drawn to the boy in RHW didn’t feel that spark when I saw it.

Also glad to hear your initial impressions about the chevron, it did feel softer than the quilted boy even though based on the code they are both grained calfskin. I’m glad that I’m not the only one who got the impression the chevron was a softer leather.

Also on the same page with you about the RHW and shinny being on two ends of the spectrum! Uncanny

It’s my first Chanel so I am very excited but the, as you said, the Goldilocks in me is torn. I don’t want to choose “wrong”

Going back in store today, as I am still with in the two week mark (until May 17). Will also try on a douple flap since I actually didn’t do on any of my visits so far.

Thanks everyone for their thoughts! Will report back

Reactions: HiromiT