Chèvre de Coromandel - How Difficult to Restore?

Jul 13, 2015
Hello all, it's been awhile since I've been here! I was wondering if anyone had any insights into Chèvre de Coromandel and how easy it is to restore. I'm looking at a 35 via private sale and it is SOFT. Caving in a bit to the front, leather creases, etc.I know this is supposed to be one of the more sturdier leathers, does that mean even if sent to the Spa it will stay soft and creased? She's a dream, potiron with palladium HW. A grail combo for me and I never see them around, but if she's too soft forever not sure she's worth it. Would love the insight, thank you so much!

Reactions: juju2016
once leather softens do not expect it to become stiff again;
it is part of how leather develops over time; not damage that can be repaired.
similarly it depends on what you mean by creases: sharp like paper or softer like fabric

if you don't like the bag as it is, don't buy it however rare
Thank you so much this is perfect advice. I will wait until I find one that is in better condition, I think this one will eventually make me regret it if I buy it.

I hold a minority opinion on TPF: I’m not particularly fond of chèvre, as it does get somewhat flaccid with age. a larger 35 will be softer and slouchier than a smaller bag simply bc of the larger panels. Agree with @WhiteBus that it will not become more structured with restoration. YMMV
Thank you so much, I also agree with WhiteBus. I tend to baby my bags so I'm going to keep looking for one in a better condition and keep it as is.

I have a wallet in chevre coromandel, and I will never buy anything in this leather again.
It looked worn after only a few months, and it looks more plasticky than my friends Epsom. My wallet is authentic and purchased at the Toronto Hermes. I'm not a fan of chevre coromandel at all.
Oh really? That's so surprising I thought it was supposed to be one of the sturdier leathers! I loved watching RobynA on YouTube and her potiron CDC is why I wanted to get one, it always looked so nice and new. She would say it's an acquired taste I think but that is definitely concerning

Reactions: juju2016
UPDATE: The handbag gods work in mysterious ways. I passed on the bag I was talking about in this thread because I knew I wouldn't have been happy with it. Two weeks ago, my request was granted...

Introducingggg: my 35cm CdC in Potiron with PHW. Amazing condition, asides from the handles being a bit askew she looks completely brand new. She fits in nicely as another pop in my collection with my RC Candy 35 (who needs a well earned break) and my Ebene 40. So in love :loveeyes:

Screen Shot 2023-03-13 at 12.51.56 PM.png

HI!! May I know how does the CdC leather feel and wear? Is it sturdy yet supple and light for a bag? Cos Im considering a vintage HAC in it! THANK YOU for the advice in advance.