Cherry Eye!! Help!

Sep 14, 2007
Hi Everyone,

I took Toby to Doggy day camp today and when I picked him up they said that he had gotten "cherry eye" and so they put him into one of the little rooms for a rest. I was pissed because they didn't call me right away but they didn't think that it was a huge deal. I was in tears because this has never happened before and he's my little dog. When he came out his eye looked like a bubble (on the bottom) and it was just really frightening.

There is a vet's office a few doors down and so the vet there saw him right away and said that it probably wouldn't go back in and that french bull dogs are susceptible towards them. When she took a look at him and tilted his head back, the cherry eye did go back in. She said if it comes out again he'll probably need surgery and gave me the name of an opthamalogist.

What do you make of this? Has your dog had cherry eye? Does it ever happen just once? Have you had the surgery? I would die if anything happened to him during surgery. Should I take him back to doggy day camp ever again? I really like the place and obviously would let them know that if he even SNEEZES the wrong way I want a phone call next time. He only goes once in awhile (hasn't been since July). My issue is more if doggy day camp is causing the cherry eye.

Hi IPF:

No, the daycare didn't cause the problem! "Cherry Eye" is actually a prolapse (coming loose) of the gland of the third eyelid. The third eyelid is that whitish membrane you sometimes see in the inner corner of the dog's eye. These Cherry Eyes (CE) are considered genetic faults, and are really common in Bulldogs and several other breeds. There are two ways to treat them-we used to be taught that removal of the gland would cause a dry eye, but the current thinking is that one that "pops" back in is actually a good candidate for removal. The other way to repair these is to keep the gland, and place it in a little pocket created inside the lower eyelid. there is also a way to sort of anchor the gland below the eye. I generally do one of these procedures. The CE will come back-but you should know that it's not painful, just sort of unsightly.

Last edited:
My cocker spaniel mix had cherry eye when he was a baby - the most frightening thing! We took him to a vet and they anchored the gland back into the eyelid where it belongs. Sometimes when he sleeps and the skin on his head is pulled back (he sleeps in very odd positions) we can see the stitch in his eye! It sounds gross but it's actually kind of funny.

About 6 months after we had the surgery on the first one, the gland prolapsed out of the other eye. On that one, the vet went ahead and removed the gland (without telling us first, I was PISSED) but he hasn't had any problems since then. We are concerned that removal of the glad in his left eye may cause dry eye at some point, but he seems to be ok for now.

The surgery for one eye cost about $300, for a reference point on cost. I would definitely opt to have the gland anchored back into the eyelid, IMHO.

Hi icans...Frenchies are one of the breeds that are more susceptible to cherry eye. Molly had one about two years ago. It did go back in and then popped out again a few days later, so we took her to a Veterinary Opthamologist. She had the surgery where they tack the gland back to its place. I have heard that removal of the gland could likely result in a dry-eye condition, which would require the need for daily eyedrops. To me, this is not a good solution, just replacing one problem for another. So, my best advice would be to take Toby to a Veterinary Opthamologist who performs the gland replacement surgery.

Please feel free to PM me if you want to chat about it and big hugs to Toby :heart:

My bulldog also had this problem--we were given the option of tacking the gland back into place--where depending on how active she was it could continue to pop back out in which place she would have to have more surguries to continue to tack it back in--we also were told removal of the gland could create dry eye--sooo...we decided on option three which was a partial removal of the gland--we are extremely pleased with the outcome-no cherry eye and no dry eye...good luck--pm if you have questions!!

do not worry, cherry eye is common and can be fixed easily w/ surgery. the day care did not cause this. consult your vet, b/c not all cases require surgery. Toby will be back to his old self in no time! PM me if you have questions! good luck!!

This happened to my Bichon also. He had the surgery to tac it back in place, had to wear a lampshade for a few weeks, but he healed fine. Then about a year later, his other eye had the gland pop out. I haven't had that one repaired, it doesn't seem to bother him.

This happened to my Maltese a while back. Probably about 6 years ago, he had the surgery and he has been fine since.

Goodluck with the poor little guy, let us know how it goes!

Thank you so much for all of the responses...ever since the incident at day camp he hasn't had another episode! I really think it may be from all the horsing around. He was playing around with a german pinscher named Danny like a maniac that day and so I think he just got himself really riled up.
Anyway, I haven't decided if I am going to take him back to day care but if I do I think it will be in a smaller dose...maybe just 3-4 hours instead of 5-6. I'm too scared to try just yet. I really don't want him to have to go through any kind of surgery unless it's absolutely necessary. I am really glad to hear that all of you who have had the surgery have had good luck with it. I'll keep you posted and thanks again for all of the feedback!!
:tpfrox: