Chemical smell?

sugna

Jun 7, 2011
I've bought the Large Lily in Snowball white (I love the colour/shape/style) BUT I've already had to query it with Mulberry because although it was the best they had it is quite wrinkly/puckered/stretched on one section and I'm really concerned about how it will age. The other thing that I hadn't noticed in the store was the smell...it smells weird! Very chemical and no smell of leather at all. Is that because of the treatment of the leather to get the grainy patent effect, or is it just wrong.

I love it, but I don't what a flawed bag either. I phoned CS and she said that i need to email photos and information in, but it will be a few days before i hear back because they have been inundated with emails.

I need to point out that I can't just give it back and get another one online because it was bought with vouchers and they don't have another better one in the store.

Any suggestions?

Hiya

I also ordered this and had similar situation in that I didn't like the way it was all creased and it did smell a little strange. I ended up returning it as I didn't like this and also the colour was darker to what I was expecting!

Good luck with finding replacements, I'm sure they're not sold out online, so should be able to get another.

X

Hiya

I also ordered this and had similar situation in that I didn't like the way it was all creased and it did smell a little strange. I ended up returning it as I didn't like this and also the colour was darker to what I was expecting!

Good luck with finding replacements, I'm sure they're not sold out online, so should be able to get another.

X

Thanks!
I had a look at the SBW LL in the summer so knew that the colour and stye suited me...but the one that I saw then was a perfect example. I just didn't buy it at the time because I was trying to be practical! Honestly the one they had on display in the shop looked dreadful, I can' even describe how bad it looked, so this one is definitely better and it isn't noticeable when the front flap is down but I'm worried it will age in an uneven way. And the smell...

sugna said:
Thanks!
I had a look at the SBW LL in the summer so knew that the colour and stye suited me...but the one that I saw then was a perfect example. I just didn't buy it at the time because I was trying to be practical! Honestly the one they had on display in the shop looked dreadful, I can' even describe how bad it looked, so this one is definitely better and it isn't noticeable when the front flap is down but I'm worried it will age in an uneven way. And the smell...

Hmmmmm I know what you mean. I didn't even think twice about popping her back in the box as I didn't like the look. Did you think the website made the colour look a bit more white? The one I got was more grey! It's still a pretty bag but a lot of money for a bag you don't love. Is there anyway m.com can just send you another one once you've returned this one?

Hmmmmm I know what you mean. I didn't even think twice about popping her back in the box as I didn't like the look. Did you think the website made the colour look a bit more white? The one I got was more grey! It's still a pretty bag but a lot of money for a bag you don't love. Is there anyway m.com can just send you another one once you've returned this one?

Oh definitely the colour is completely different than shown on the website. It's not white at all, more a shimmery pale grey, but I did know that before I ordered so wasn't surprised! And I do love the style and colour, just not the leather and smell on this particular example. Will have to email off my photos and information and hopefully they will be helpful. I have to say the helpful girl on the phone was nice and everything but didn't have a clue what to suggest!

I've bought the Large Lily in Snowball white (I love the colour/shape/style) BUT I've already had to query it with Mulberry because although it was the best they had it is quite wrinkly/puckered/stretched on one section and I'm really concerned about how it will age. The other thing that I hadn't noticed in the store was the smell...it smells weird! Very chemical and no smell of leather at all. Is that because of the treatment of the leather to get the grainy patent effect, or is it just wrong.

I love it, but I don't what a flawed bag either. I phoned CS and she said that i need to email photos and information in, but it will be a few days before i hear back because they have been inundated with emails.

I need to point out that I can't just give it back and get another one online because it was bought with vouchers and they don't have another better one in the store.

Any suggestions?

Most patent leather does crinkle and in my opinion that's the beauty of a patent bag. I have a pink one (non Mulberry) and it is very squashy and crinkled now due to age and wear. I think if you don't like this appearance it might not be the bag for you.

sugna said:
Oh definitely the colour is completely different than shown on the website. It's not white at all, more a shimmery pale grey, but I did know that before I ordered so wasn't surprised! And I do love the style and colour, just not the leather and smell on this particular example. Will have to email off my photos and information and hopefully they will be helpful. I have to say the helpful girl on the phone was nice and everything but didn't have a clue what to suggest!

Ha that's the problem- its all good being nice but if u can't help sort it out then not too useful!
Maybe the smell will go but I'm not sure about how it'll wear as I didn't like the creased parts at all

Most patent leather does crinkle and in my opinion that's the beauty of a patent bag. I have a pink one (non Mulberry) and it is very squashy and crinkled now due to age and wear. I think if you don't like this appearance it might not be the bag for you.

I agree it is a lovely finish, but the problem is that it's not even now, so won't age evenly (I guess) I am quite happy to have a perfect bag and then it can age with me...but not sure that I should start out with a bag that isn't perfect, but I do love the style/colour.

I hope they will suggest that I return it to them and they will send a perfect replacement!

Ha that's the problem- its all good being nice but if u can't help sort it out then not too useful!
Maybe the smell will go but I'm not sure about how it'll wear as I didn't like the creased parts at all

The smell is troubling...would love to hear if anyone else had a similar experience, or if any of you would go and have a good old sniff of a snowball white patent bag now :P

Might phone the SA from yesterday and ask her opinion on the smell.

Although if it wasn't creased in that one area I don't think the smell would annoy me, it's just annoying me collectively!

I agree it is a lovely finish, but the problem is that it's not even now, so won't age evenly (I guess) I am quite happy to have a perfect bag and then it can age with me...but not sure that I should start out with a bag that isn't perfect, but I do love the style/colour.

I hope they will suggest that I return it to them and they will send a perfect replacement!

There seems to be a lot of quality issues reported lately doesn't there..is this normal?

Interesting that you say the snowball colour is a light grey as well, as I was debating buying this colour but would want an ivory/cream white and this doesn't sound like it?

GillianAnnie said:
There seems to be a lot of quality issues reported lately doesn't there..is this normal?

Interesting that you say the snowball colour is a light grey as well, as I was debating buying this colour but would want an ivory/cream white and this doesn't sound like it?

Nope it's definitely not white- i did a comparison with my marshmallow Daria satchel but can't attach pics! Will try again shortly for you x

Maybe you can see the colour from these as well, very hard to capture.
So you can see with the flap closed it doesn't look too bad, but with it open you can see that the leather is more puckered or wrinkled in one place in particular. When I carry it it's more obvious because the underneath leather definitely looks different from the top.

That's also my new scarf, snowball blurry bloom print :biggrin:

Attachments

• IMG_1875.JPG
    IMG_1875.JPG
    271.2 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_1870.JPG
    IMG_1870.JPG
    271.3 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_1866.jpg
    IMG_1866.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 226
sugna said:
Maybe you can see the colour from these as well, very hard to capture.
So you can see with the flap closed it doesn't look too bad, but with it open you can see that the leather is more puckered or wrinkled in one place in particular. When I carry it it's more obvious because the underneath leather definitely looks different from the top.

That's also my new scarf, snowball blurry bloom print :biggrin:

Looks great on u sugna! X