Chemical peels or microderm for more luminous skin?

Pazdzernika

Mar 26, 2011
I've had several regular treatments of microderm and I still feel like my skin is a bit dull. I'm in my late 20s, tan easily/olive undertone, drink tons of water, eat well, no wrinkles, no smoking, no drinking, no late nights so other than lack of luminosity, my skin is all right. In your opinion do you think chemical peels may help? Which type and how often? I've never had one (heard too many "look like a burn victim" stories) but I'm tired of paying for microderm when I really think I've peaked with it. Your personal experience?

And also, what's your upkeep between professional facials/peels? Do you do masks at home?

Thanks, porsche09! when you say "light chem peel" do you mean, like, lactic acid? How frequently do you get these treatments? Or how frequently CAN you have these treatments? Every 4 weeks? 6-8?

I did microderm a few times and the results lasted only a day - I thought it was a big wate. I now use lactic acid 35% for 5 minutes once a month. Makes my skin look great. Very bright.

Thanks, all!
Daily makeup routine: Pretty light - no foundation, just Missha BB cream, a little concealer and blush. All makeup comes off before bed.
Skincare: La Mer Face Wash with Clarisonic AM and PM, sunblock, La Mer Radiant Infusion Serum (PM), Creme de la mer (AM/PM).
Diet: Mostly salads and salmon. (I'm not the biggest fan of meat)

No drinking, no smoking and so on paper you'd think I would have skin "glowing from the inside out." No wrinkles, my skin is pretty soft (thank you, La Mer) and I'm often mistaken for the 18-21 range rather than my late 20s. I'm just bummed my skin isn't as luminous as it did in my early 20s. I don't know what it is - I hit my late 20s and all of a sudden my hair got thicker and unruly and my skin just lost its "glow." And oh yeah, there was that sad realisation that I wasn't going to stay thin unless I started exercising. (DARN IT!)

I did microderm a few times and the results lasted only a day - I thought it was a big wate. I now use lactic acid 35% for 5 minutes once a month. Makes my skin look great. Very bright.

Yeah, microderm is kind of letting me down, too. What brands would you recommend for the lactic acid peel? Any side effects? Like, peeling or redness after the first time? I'm curious because I've never had a chem peel.

I just started to use Korean skin care products by Sulwhasoo and I have noticed that my skin is looking so much better. I bought some for my sister and she said in one week she has seen her skin glow. I have used LaMer before and liked it. Korean skin care is a multi step product process. My friends keep telling me my skin looks great. I also use Skin 79 BB creams with the bluish /lip tint that came with their gold one. I use the .claraisonic with the sulwhasoo oil cleanser. I do drink tons of water and hardly drink other beverages unless they are fresh vegetable/fruit juices. I think being well hydrated shows in your skin. It really sounds like you are doing everything right. Maybe the summer weather making you see a difference in your skin?

Yeah, microderm is kind of letting me down, too. What brands would you recommend for the lactic acid peel? Any side effects? Like, peeling or redness after the first time? I'm curious because I've never had a chem peel.

I use Beauty Solutions brand, it's available by a few sellers on ebay I don't remember who I bought from. It's around $13. Make sure you wash your face before you use it because it can interact with moisturizers and makeup you already have on (I have burned myself once after forgetting about a retinol moisturizer I put on that morning).

I'd leave it on for 1 minute your first time using it and build up to 5 minutes from there (I read some people leave it for 8 but for me 5 is usually the point where it goes from uncomfortable to painful so I rinse right away). The first few times I used it my skin got red for a few hours like I had a light sunburn but it was gone by the next day. Now when I use it I just have bright, clear skin afterwards. I like to use Cerave PM moisturizer afterwards.

It's a very mild peel though and you shouldn't experience peeling except maybe a few flakes like you'll get on a cold wintery day. It should tingle when you have it on and it can be a little uncomfortable but it should never burn or sting to the point where it hurts.

I just started to use Korean skin care products by Sulwhasoo and I have noticed that my skin is looking so much better. I bought some for my sister and she said in one week she has seen her skin glow. I have used LaMer before and liked it. Korean skin care is a multi step product process. My friends keep telling me my skin looks great. I also use Skin 79 BB creams with the bluish /lip tint that came with their gold one. I use the .claraisonic with the sulwhasoo oil cleanser. I do drink tons of water and hardly drink other beverages unless they are fresh vegetable/fruit juices. I think being well hydrated shows in your skin. It really sounds like you are doing everything right. Maybe the summer weather making you see a difference in your skin?

So glad you brought up Sulwhasso! I'm such a beauty junkie and love trying to find a "great new product" and I was thinking about this line. I hear so much about their face mask - have you tried that? What are your favourite prods. from this line? Do you use their sunblock?

I would love to blame the summer weather but I think it's age. I conclude this because it was equally dull in the winter, as well! LOL

I use Beauty Solutions brand, it's available by a few sellers on ebay I don't remember who I bought from. It's around $13. Make sure you wash your face before you use it because it can interact with moisturizers and makeup you already have on (I have burned myself once after forgetting about a retinol moisturizer I put on that morning).

I'd leave it on for 1 minute your first time using it and build up to 5 minutes from there (I read some people leave it for 8 but for me 5 is usually the point where it goes from uncomfortable to painful so I rinse right away). The first few times I used it my skin got red for a few hours like I had a light sunburn but it was gone by the next day. Now when I use it I just have bright, clear skin afterwards. I like to use Cerave PM moisturizer afterwards.

It's a very mild peel though and you shouldn't experience peeling except maybe a few flakes like you'll get on a cold wintery day. It should tingle when you have it on and it can be a little uncomfortable but it should never burn or sting to the point where it hurts.

$13? I like that price point! Thanks for the head's up on what to expect, esp. that note about removing all traces of retinol. I think maybe I'll get my first chem peel done professionally and then try my hand at it after to save money.

Last edited:
$13? I like that price point! Thanks for the head's up on what to expect, esp. that note about removing all traces of retinol. I think maybe I'll get my first chem peel done professionally and then try my hand at it after to save money.

Be careful, the retinol I was referencing were the scant amounts in drugstore moisturizers. If you're using retin-a, like I am, I'd stop using it a week and a half or two weeks before using it because your skin is super sensitive then. Good luck!

From Sulwhasoo I use their First Care Serum, Balancing water, Balancing emulsion , Revitalizing serum, and eye creams. I will use the skin 79 bb cream over this in tha morning. Follow the same products at night but add the ginseng oil or overnight vitalizing treatment or concentrated ginseng cream. I love the oil cleanser as one of the best I have ever tried. I like the foaming face wash too but the oil takes off the bb creams better. I have tried their honey mask which is great. Also they have a clarifying mask which you massage on your wet face for 3 minutes and it is really nice .
I bought a few full size items from the USA website but them bought many things in sample sizes from eBay which actually came out cheaper.
I have my vanity set up with all my products and it is a ritual to apply them to my skin. It is so different then the quick way one does it with only one or two products like I did before. You are supposed to rub your palms to warm your hands with the products and gently pat them into your skin, massage and no harsh rubbing. I was hesitant to really think I would notice a difference but WOW there is major improvement and I glow. I also use their hair oil and love it since my scalp itches from most products.
My 13 year old daughter also just started using some products, she has sensitive skin, dry patches and minor breakouts. So far her skin is looking better with no complaints from her of redness or itching.
A few eBay sellers sent me samples from the Korean brand The History of Whoo and I am also impressed with these products so I just ordered some samples from EBay. The eye cream I tried was like soft butter but melted into my skin. I used some samples of their shampoo and rinse and love these products.
I think the website www.joseibi.com gives the best reviews on Korean beauty products. For the website you can type in the search for any product or line you want to find out about and there is a lot of information and reviews from other people too. I never was a big beauty product junkie but now I am and got rid of all my previous items. Websites say the Asian beauty products are really ahead of the other countries and now I think it is true. I would never in my life think I would be using such a multi step products on my face but the results for me have proven it is worth it. Forgot to answer your question I did use the Sulwhasoo bb cream but changed to the Skin 79 creams which I like better, the pink and gold ones I love but just got the orange one that has a SPF of 50 in it so I use that now in the sun and wear a hat if I am in the pool.

Last edited: