Chemical (AHA) Peel problem.. hurts bad!!!

chaitz

Oct 18, 2008
hi all.. i got my very first peel done on the 15th of this month a dermotoligist office. Its called the Alpha beta or AHA (yellow) peel.. i didnt feel a lot of discomfort on the first day.. today is the 3rd day and i am in misery.. the second day i was peeling around the sides on my mouth, upperlip and on my chin, it became really red and then brownish by the end of the day.. the skin looks as if its burnt!!! really ugly.. i can barely open my mouth cos my face feels like i have put glue on and its got really tight.. there is barely any peeling or rather no peeling on my forhead and the cheeks or the side of my face.. i am looking really horrible right now.. i hate the way it is :crybaby:.. dnt feel like going to work or gettin outta my house... i cant even smile.. this is sheer misery and i am suggested to get 3 peels done.. in a gap of 15 days.. my next peel is on the 30th.. i am dreading tht.. it hurts really bad and looks worse.. its all brown, flaky and really really dry and tight... i am using a moisturising sunscreen 30 the derm gave me.. and applying it practically every 30 min.. i saw minor peelin but dont see a lot of skin peeling off.. is this normal?? or am i going crazy... wen will this end.. plssssssssss help... :sad:

yeah this is my first post.. :yes: the derm has given me a moisturising sunscreen with SPF 30 and askd me to only use that and gave me a cream called Emolene to use only in case of exessesive peeling.. nothing else to be applied on the skin.. so i dunno if aloe wud b a good idea.. i wanna know how long does it take for my skin to look the way it shud.. and y my forehead isnt peeling yet.. which is the worst part of my face..

anyways.. congratulations on the engagement.. :tup:

the pain will go away and after the storm the sun comes out, you will love your skin once it's healed. I promise!! I want pics after you are in love with the results.

do you not watch Sex & the City??

aloe vera sooths most sores... my god... just reading this post makes me feel your pain (and think of Samantha)...

good luck, hope you get great results!

Yeah, peels look terrible while they are coming off. I have a case with a woman that got one done and those pictures were scary looking. Follow your doctor's advice and stay out of the sun. Most people get a good result, but you look awful in the meantime.

Take Motrin or aspirin if you are able to. Do not no matter what pick or peel your skin. gently wash your face & apply whatever moisturizer they gave you. I wouldn worry about putting on the sunblock unless you will be going outside, I see that your is combined though.

When I was getting peels I scheduled them so that the "rough days" I would be home & not have to go to work or out. I was off Saturday & Sunday so I got my peel on Wednesday.

today is the fifth day and it is already getting better... :wlae: i went to the derma yesterday and she said tht it was normal, i told her that my forehead isn't peeling yet. she told me tht its a tougher skin to peel and wil take time. she gave me a time frame of 10 days to be normal from the day i got the peel. so 5 more days to go. I have rescheduled my peel on 6 Nov.. she askd me to get 3 peels in a gap of 20 days each and then keep doing them according to skin condition for maintainance. the peeling on cheeks is getting better and dsnt hurt as much... but i dont see the new skin yet. i think i just gotta be patient.. cos as per everyone i have spoken to say tht the results are worth the pain.. and yeah i think of samantha every single day and wish i cud wear a big hat to work.. i will keep u guys posted on my recovery..

today is the fifth day and it is already getting better... :wlae: i went to the derma yesterday and she said tht it was normal, i told her that my forehead isn't peeling yet. she told me tht its a tougher skin to peel and wil take time. she gave me a time frame of 10 days to be normal from the day i got the peel. so 5 more days to go. I have rescheduled my peel on 6 Nov.. she askd me to get 3 peels in a gap of 20 days each and then keep doing them according to skin condition for maintainance. the peeling on cheeks is getting better and dsnt hurt as much... but i dont see the new skin yet. i think i just gotta be patient.. cos as per everyone i have spoken to say tht the results are worth the pain.. and yeah i think of samantha every single day and wish i cud wear a big hat to work.. i will keep u guys posted on my recovery..

You should ask your derm if Biafine emulsion would help your skin regenerate faster. I know several patients who used it after chemical peels and it helped accelerate the growth of the new skin.

I am glad it is starting to get better!

6th day.. things are the same.. have started feeling dry around the side on my eyes and my neck.. there are these dark patches around my mouth with dead skin on it.. but i still dont see any new skin.. :confused1: when will that happen... it still looks like the old skin... the pigmentation is pretty much still there.. :s am i am just hurrying in seeing the results?? or is the chemical peel not helping me.. cos it usually takes 7 days and its the 6th day today and i dnt see nothing.. the cos askd me to wait 10 days for full recovery though.. i am running out of patience..

skin cells take around 28 days to regenerate give it time it took a long time for the damage to occur it will take awhile for the damage to fade. peels can do amazing things they may not be fun during the process but after its all said and done your skin will look amazing fallow your doctors recommendations and do the series you will see the best results with that and please stay out of the sun especially while your face is peeling your skin is more sensitive and will burn easily also remember you can do all the treatments in the world but going out into the sun with out sunscreen can undo it all! good luck please take before and after photos so you can see the full scale of your results looking eveyday your skin it can be hard to see the results but a photo will really help define how gorgeous your skin is! good luck stick with it I think you will be very pleased.

You may want to consider purchasing some jojoba oil. I frequently do glycolic peels on my skin and receive some relief by using the oil. I can assure you the results will be fabulous. My skin always looks bad after the peel but like 5 days later it's so smooth and soft.

7th day... Thanks soo much for all the advice gurls... i am a little impatient so i think i am hurrying in seeing the results... "notvalidchoice" thank you sooo much for tht before and after picture suggestion.. it makes sense.. cos looking at the skin everyday i dnt see any difference.. thts the first thing i am gonna do now.. take a pic.. i am scheduled for another peel on Nov 6 and the another on Nov 22. The derm said i need 3 peels for the best results and then later i could get them done as and wen i wnt for maintainance.. so when do you think i will have complete healing.. i started this treatment early cos I wnt to look my best during the New Year's eve as my boy frend coming to see me.. :yahoo: and i wanna look the best... i hope all of this efforts pay off.. "lelgin" i will chck with my doc abt the jajoba oil.. anything tht gets me comfort is soooo welcomed... love u all for keeping me sane by ur suggestions.. muuuaahhh

Chaitz,

If you don't mind me asking, how much is your peel? My peel is $150 and not covered by insurance.

I am in India.. the derma suggested 3 peels.. and each cost around $40 (Rs. 1700).. its called the Yellow Peel (Alpha-Beta peel with fruit acids) and she asked me get the peels 20 days apart from each other.. I am seeing results.. but not really dramactic... but they are there...