Food Cheesy, healthy, spicy tofu enchiladas!

LivinLuxuriously

Surprisingly Content
May 14, 2006
So I concocted this tonight and it was AMAZING. CHEESY TOFU ENCHILADAS! (Copied from the post I made on a WLS community) (I also posted this in the tasty tofu thread - but thought it deserved a thread of its own!)

So lately I've been ALL ABOUT the Mexican food lol - but for some reason, whenever I eat it (especially enchiladas) I get nauseous due to all the oil used - bleh! Not to mention I don't do well with meats - and cheese enchiladas really aren't good for you with all the fat and oil - so I've had to steer clear from Mexican for the past 10 months with the exception of teensy bites here and there. I decided, with my creative culinary art skills (teeheehee) to try a healthy version of enchiladas but with tofu added to the cheese. Dudes and dudettes, lemme tell you, it came out UNBELIEVABLY good. Even my boyfriend, a former tofu scardy cat, LOVED it! So you gotta try it - it's to DIE for - and good for you!

What you need:
--Extra firm tofu cut in 3 or 4 strips (enough to line the inside of the center of the tortilla - just as you'd do with steak or chicken) about 3 inches long and about 1/2 inch thick, 1/2 inch wide
--A bit of chopped onion (yellow or spanish is best)
--Scallions
--Some chopped cilantro
--shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
--1 wheat tortilla (I use Manny's)
--Enchilada sauce (I use La Victoria)
--Hot sauce to taste (I like it SPICY - I use Goya red salsa picante)
--Olive oil/EVOO (I use half and half to spread it)

Cook the tofu:
In pan heat oil on medium low and sautee cilantro and chopped onions (you don't need many - less than 1/4 cup). After about 2 minutes sauteeing increase heat to high and add tofu. Sautee tofu with the onions and cilantro for about 5 minutes on high, flipping every minute or until light golden brown. Remove tofu and place on seperate plate.

Making an enchilada:
Clean pan and add fresh oil and heat on high. Add wheat tortilla and cook on high for about 30 seconds to a minute per side or until the tortilla begins to darken a bit. Remove the tortilla and drain on paper towels. Empty the remaining oil into an oil safe container and add some of the enchilada sauce to the pan (with the heat off). Put the tortilla into the sauce in the pan and flip around until its completely covered. Remove the wet tortilla and add to an oven safe plate. Line the tofu up on the center of the sauce-soaked tortilla. On top of that sprinkle the onions and some cilantro. On top of that add extra enchilada sauce (and hot sauce if you like) to the tofu so that it is completely red. On top of that add looottttssss of cheese - however much you like really, but we like it CHEESY! Cover the cheese with more sauce - a decent amount if you like a wetter enchilada - less if you like it to be dryer and closer to a quesadilla-like consistency. Now roll the tortilla (yes, you will get sauce on your hands, lol) into an enchilada! Put a few extra spoons of enchilada sauce (and hot sauce) on top of the tortilla so that your enchilada won't dry out. Add just a bit of extra cheese to the top of the enchilada and sprinkle with chopped scallions. Wah-la! Add to a preheated 350 degree oven for 15 minutes and viola! Enjoy! ((Serve with low fat/fat free sour cream on the side if you'd like!)

enchilada_037.jpg