Checking IDs for a store purchase?

Sep 12, 2010
Happy New Year and lots of LVOE to everyone!

I had a peculiar experience recently and wanted to know if this has happened to anyone else.

I recently made a purchase before the holidays at a boutique and was asked for my ID (driver's license). I thought at first the SA just wanted to look at it to verify that it's really my credit card that I was using, but then she kneeled under the cash register with my ID where I thought I saw a part of a machine (scanner? I vaguely remember seeing a blue light under whatever she was holding my ID). Has this ever happened to you and do you know what that was about? It's been a few years since my last LV purchase and don't remember this ever happening before.

I made several purchases in December, too, and I wasn't asked for ID, but I think it is because the SAs know me. If it has been a long time since you purchased anything that may be the reason. I don't think I have ever had my ID scanned anywhere, however, unless I was buying a car. But, it is law where I am that they must prove you have a driver's license to sell a car, lol. This may be something new since LV does keep a strong database on purchases, but you may want to call the store and ask just for curiosity's sake. You have a right to know how this info is being used, in my opinion.

Thanks everyone! I thought it was strange at the time, and I think I will call the store to find out what the protocol is for purchases and why did the SA take my ID under the register. I hate stores that collect more personal information than necessary in my opinion.

ID checking is great and encouraged IMO. Maybe this store has had a lot of problems?

I agree that checking ID (glancing at it to make sure it's your card) should be encouraged since it protects the store and the customer from unauthorized use of a card. However, what worries me is when they want to store additional information such as my driver's license number or possibly a scanned image of my license on their computer system when they already have my name, address, and phone number. In this day and age when large businesses and government agencies' computers are getting hacked into, the less information stored unnecessarily the better.

Thanks for everyone's feedback! I'll call tomorrow just so that I don't keep worrying about what happened.

They have those scanners at bars and clubs it's to check if the ID is real. The bar code on the back of the ID gets read and DOB comes up but nothing gets saved to a computer.

I paid cash for my ZCP and credit card for my Speedy and wasn't asked for ID either time. They did ask me to fill out a form (address, phone, e-mail) the first time and the second time they looked me up on their system. I'm not sure if they would have refused to sell if I had refused to give that information?