Check problem?

Mar 10, 2007
USA
I sold a purse for $712 or so plus shipping. I got an email from a bidder asking if I would take a cashier's check. I said that's fine but obviously I won't ship until the funds are available.

The guy takes a long time in mailing it out because he's on a business trip. He then mails me a regular check. I got it yesterday and deposited it and told him via email that I would hold the purse until the regular check clears.

I then find email from him while I was at the bank asking me not to deposit it until tomorrow because he forgot he wrote me the check and had to deposit money in his bank this morning. We have different banks but they're both one of the big 3.

THEN I get email saying we are fine...and a request to ship to his work.

I am just feeling really oogy and wish I had not agreed to take anything but PayPal. But I don't like PayPal so I could see where he is coming from.

I still have "second chance" available on eBay...my question is, should I just return his money and tell him to forget it? He keeps touting his "great feedback" but it isn't that great. He only has like 9 transactions.

Should I just send the purse if everything clears and insure and signature require everything up the wazoo? Or should I tell him too many changes in the agreement?

deekai

Jan 30, 2008
Wait until the check clears and then send with insurance and signature confirmation. I really hate when people change the directions, but have never had a problem with a check that I waited until it for sure had cleared.

Mar 10, 2007
USA
How long does it take to know for sure? I can't seem to find a straight answer. I find answers from 24 hours to 7 days!

DD101

O.G.
Aug 29, 2007
On the hunt.....
I refuse to sell to buyers who try and pay a different way than I have stated in my auctions. But in my experience, to have a check clear usually takes anywhere from 3 to 5 business days.

mirdc

bigger by the day
Jun 25, 2009
I would just return the check and sell to the 2nd chance bidder. This whole thing sounds fishy. I've had patient's checks clear then bounce almost 2 weeks later...

DD101

O.G.
Aug 29, 2007
On the hunt.....
I would just return the check and sell to the 2nd chance bidder. This whole thing sounds fishy. I've had patient's checks clear then bounce almost 2 weeks later...
I wouldn't go through with this sale either. Good luck.

A check bouncing after it has cleared? Ugh, another reason why I would never ever take a check (or money order either).

Ellie Mae

Peace B with U
May 24, 2008
HMMMMM... I have some concerns....

The buyer has purchased ON ebay (I assume), meaning that the buyer has Ebay Buyer Protection. There is not comparable SELLER protection on ebay. So, buyer has ebay protection, seller has NOTHING, essentially.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/buyer-protection.html

THIS concerns me...
How sellers may be protected from losing a claim

For "item not received" claims, sellers are protected from losing a claim if they provide evidence of proof of delivery to eBay. Proof of delivery is tracking information from a shipping company that clearly displays:
the delivery status of the item as "delivered"
the date of delivery (which reflects the seller shipped within stated handling time)
the recipient's address, displaying at least the city/state or ZIP code (or the equivalent) of the address listed in either the eBay Order details page or the PayPal Transaction Details page and for items $250 USD (or local currency equivalent) or more, proof of the recipient's signature to confirm delivery is required.
For "item not as described" claims, sellers may protect themselves from losing a claim if they provide clear documentation that the item was described properly. For example, claims may be resolved in the seller's favor when the seller provides documentation of any of the following situations:
the buyer complains that the item is used, not new, and the listing clearly describes the item as used
a defect in the item was correctly described by the seller the item was properly described, but the buyer didn't want it after they received it
the item was properly described but did not meet buyers' expectations
the item has minor scratches and was listed as used condition.

Per the above, seller may ONLY ship to the buyer's address shown on the Ebay Order Details Page, in this case.
BittyMonkey.. be careful. Call Ebay if you have any concerns.

Mar 10, 2007
USA
He apparently deposited cash and so the check cleared overnight. He sent me an excerpt from his bank online statement this morning, and it was showing up as the entire portion of money available online.

So I shipped to his work address with insurance and signature required. I decided to do work because there are other people there available to sign so he won't be able to say he never got it. He has sent me several emails that I think would help me in a claim. His work address is very close to his home address, so it's in the same city, which is how I read the eBay requirements.

Plus he's leaving for another business trip and I just want him to have the item and be out of my hair totally.

I think it'll be okay and he's just a little flaky, but I'm not doing off eBay payment again.

fashion_mom1

Apr 28, 2009
I think you have to ship it to the verified address or you are not protected, but I could be wrong. Maybe someone like Ellie Mae will chime in.

Apr 15, 2007
If you shipped it to his office and he is not available to "sign for it"

hope who ever is going to sign for it keeps it in a safe place for him.

I might want to cover myself an make sure that if he is not available to sign for this,

that whoever is signing for him will "assume reponsibility" for this item and get that

statement in an e-mail.. At least you will have some kind of recourse if something

goes arwy in his office.. keep us posted..

Mar 10, 2007
USA
I think you have to ship it to the verified address or you are not protected, but I could be wrong. Maybe someone like Ellie Mae will chime in.
That's if you use PayPal, I thought.

I shipped it 2 day because he will theoretically be in the office Friday. After that he will be on a work trip until the 15th. I want him to be available so that's why I chose what I did. Hopefully it'll work out.

Ellie Mae

Peace B with U
May 24, 2008
For PP seller protection, yes, must be shipped to address shown on the PP transaction page.
For ebay's version of same, see my post 7, ship to "address listed in either the eBay Order details page or the PayPal Transaction Details page"

Apr 15, 2007
That's if you use PayPal, I thought.

I shipped it 2 day because he will theoretically be in the office Friday. After that he will be on a work trip until the 15th. I want him to be available so that's why I chose what I did. Hopefully it'll work out.

For your sake, hope it does get to him on time and that he signs for

it.. keep us posted..

rolexgirl

O.G.
Jun 11, 2006
The OC!!!!
I always, always, always ship to the address that Paypal gives me. I have had buyers ask to ship to a different address after payment has been made, but never do it. From what I understand, you must ship to the address on the paypal details page:yes: