Check out the new Target knockoff of the Ergo convertible tote

there is no law about copying designs. It falls under the generics clause. It's perfectly legal and I would rather see someone carry that than some sweatshop made fake and try passing it off as a real Coach.

I'm glad copyright protects my art. The fashion industry seems like it would be very stressful to be in with people copying your designs and no recourse...

On this topic, I saw a Satchel at Macy's yesterday by Liz Claiborne that was a total knockoff of Sabrina! It was black and on the clearance table......:smile: too many people bought the REAl Sabrina I guess.

To me, it's like a button down shirt. How many ways can you make it? yes, you can use different materials and different colors, but basically it has 2 sleeves, buttons up the front, and has a collar. Do you want to buy Walmart or do you want to buy Dolce & Gabbana? Is one better quality? Yes. Will one last longer? Yes. Is the one of better quality the one that lasts longer? Not necessarily. Which one do you want to buy? Is it the same one I want to buy? Who cares??? :nuts:

I think the OP was entitled to her opinion and to bring the matter up for discussion. She wasn't forcing her opinions on anyone nor judging anyone who bought the Target purses. She prefers Coach. Isn't that why most of us are here?

This post brought up a lot of good points.

I often ask myself "do I like Coach because of the brand or because of the quality". I don't want to be the girl who buys a name brand so she looks good or feels people will respect me. If you only like me because I'm carrying something with someone else's name on it then we might as well call it a day LOL.

I do think Coach (and other designers some not as expensive as Coach) have better quality. I've become accustomed to the smooshy leather and the feel of the bags, but I'm not opposed to other "no-name" brands. Most of you will laugh but lately my purse-of-choice has been a rhinestone studded mossy oak (camoflauge) bag LOL. My husband is a big hunter and I just love it lol.

I see a lot of fake bags around here, I'd never bust anyone out about it. I'm sure they have their reasons. Some people think I'm insane for spending $$$ on a bag but then they'll go out and spend $$$ on some electronic device which I think is ridiculous. To each their own.

i think it's cute!! sure it won't last forever like a coach but sometimes you want to mix it up without dropping too much money. isn't that why you shop at forever 21 for the chloe knockoffs? it's basically the same thing.

So true blumaplomb...I just wait for my bags to get Target cheap at the outlet and buy 'em up! LOL! We are all in love with brand or none of us would be here....:lol: I think it great there are so many loyal fans of coach and this thread brought out some great discussion from the OP. WTG!

I'm posting again to say, I went to Target this morning. The first thing I saw was that Hayden Harnett has partnered with Target for a line. I bought the cutest clutch for $20. It's a name brand with a collectible line, for a fraction of the cost. You CAN get really cute stuff at Target regardless of who it imitates.

allisonsstuff001.jpg

allisonsstuff002.jpg

I saw these yesterday at Target, and they really weren't terrible looking. They are clearly not leather, and don't have the smooshy look and feel of the Coach bags (and they're a lot smaller), but it's not a bad knock around purse for 20 bucks. It's not my style and I tend not to like non-leather bags, generally, but if I were 16 and wanted something cute, I would have been happy to get this bag.

As someone who just made the Coach switch myself a few years ago, I would always get cute little bags from Target or Wallyworld. I didn't even know they were copying Coach or other brands, although I knew every bag was inspired by some designer somewhere. If you've ever been to NY & Co. their bags look EXACTLY like Coach, except they have NY's instead of C's!

Personally, I made the switch because I thought the Coach bags were better quality and I was tired of my cheaper bags falling apart, especially if it was something I really loved. And I was finally able to afford to spend the few extra bucks.

I don't see anything wrong with these bags, especially in a trend that will change next month! I would rather see my students carry these bags than the obvious Goach knock offs!!!

With that said, it does disturb me a LITTLE that these bags look so close to the Coach bags. But that's how the market works. If you just want the style you'll buy Target, if you want the quality you'll buy Coach.