Check out the new Target knockoff of the Ergo convertible tote

Thanks, sweetie. Honestly, I had no idea this would be something *controversial* and somehow out me as an "elitist"! (And I own 4 of the Ergo convertible bags myself, but that doesn't mean I win anything - other than the annoyance of DH who wants to know why I have 4 of the same bag in different colors! LOL)

Hell, if you can't snark on a tacky (yes, I said tacky, but YMMV as always) knockoff of a bag that was inspired by yet another bag in the purse forum, then I'm not sure where you could. Oy.

I don't find what you said elitist, people have different opinions and I think people are too sensitive on these forums sometimes.

It's not the fact that you find the bag ugly, or whatever....but it's the fact that people always start saying the 'elitist' kinds of things in these threads - like the thread on the Jessica Simpson bag that looks like a Sabrina - and implying that people who buy those bags are tacky, etc etc etc.

I promised myself I wouldn't post anymore but I have to respond to this. Please check everything I wrote in this thread and please notice that I never said anything about people who would buy the bag or want the bag or any people at all. What I said was that it looked like a total knockoff, bordering on a fake In My Opinion, and that I found it personally to be incredibly tacky. I was not the person attacking other people.

Now I'm really done. G'night folks.

this is really interesting...i love a good debate...i see this from both ends..personally i find it tacky for someone to carry a knock off only when they have money to do better and don't...as for those who don't have the dough to blow on name brands bags,clothing and make up...hmmm well that's why they make more affordable brands..that's why we live in the greatest country on earth...there is truly something for everyone of every income....

I promised myself I wouldn't post anymore but I have to respond to this. Please check everything I wrote in this thread and please notice that I never said anything about people who would buy the bag or want the bag or any people at all. What I said was that it looked like a total knockoff, bordering on a fake In My Opinion, and that I found it personally to be incredibly tacky. I was not the person attacking other people.

Now I'm really done. G'night folks.

Well....notice that I didn't say it was you saying those things. I said 'people'. I am direct and mature enough to say your name if I wanted you to take what I said personally. No need to get defensive :shrugs:

Have a good weekend!

I went back through all my posts in the thread to make sure I never said anything directly to the OP and called them any names. I never did. The only time I said 'you' was in reference to the OP thinking the bags were ugly...which....I can only assume that was a true statement. So I don't see what the big deal is - I don't feel I was being rude. I am sorry to the OP if you feel I was being rude to you, I don't try to cause problems.

I did see these bags at my local Target a few weeks ago...although I have yet to see anyone carrying them in my area! Here's what goes on in the midwest, if it dosen't have the Coach signature C's on it no one around here (not many anyway) know anyhting anout it! I could walk thru the mall with my Lindsay, Gigi or Leigh and because they are all leather bags I would not have ONE person comment on my bag!!!

FYI~ Last time I was at my outlet a week or so ago I was carying my black leather Gigi, the gal waiting on me commented on my "gorgeous bag" and asked if they were new to Coach.com...HELLO!!!! Then I asked her if she had seen the new Valentine's Day scarf print wristlet's, and she HADN'T!!!
No wonder they beg my to come work there everytime I'm in!!! I know more than 90% the SA's combined!!!

So is it legal to exactly copy someones design as long as you don't put a logo on it?

These are what are referred to as Designer Inspired bags and they are legal, unlike counterfeit or fake bags which are trying to replicate the designer bag and/or pass it off as authentic. As far as the specifics about what can be or cannot be on them, I'm not sure. Certainly they can't have the namebrand logo. I'm sure a corporation as big as Target has looked into the counterfeit laws before they would dare sell any "designer inspired" bags in their stores. And just as certainly the quality of these bag is not up to par with Coach. But I do agree that for those who can't afford a Coach, or who don't care, these are probably a feasible alternative. Additionally, there are probably tons of Target shoppers who have no idea that Coach makes anything remotely like these bags.

It's the fact that those who are calling this a "knockoff", etc., clearly aren't very up on how fashion and trends work or evolve. Like I said the first time around, this convertible type bag was NOT invented by Coach. It was done long before Coach made it. Same can be said for SO MANY of Coach's styles. If you are a true handbag nut, you would know that many of Coach's styes have been inspired by the likes of YSL, MJ, LV, Gucci. And, the same can turn around and be said for those other houses - they have all beens inspired by one another. It's the nature of the game. Most anything that is sold at Target, Gap, BR, WalMart, JCrew (and the list goes on) is Inspired by the runways.

However, I guess for those who are narrowly focused on Coach and nothing else in the fashion world, that is how you think. I can't change it. I guess you never buy anything else fashion related at Target either? B/c I guarantee you that the pants, shirts, etc., that you buy at Target or the mall have all been inspired by some other designer out there and are not "Target Exclusives".

Be gracious and thankful that you can afford Coach and don't rip on things that may be a big treat for others. I am so sick of all the nastiness in regards to inspired bags. It's so catty. So we carry Coach? It doesn't make any of us any better than any one else.

LOVE IT- ITA! And let us not forget that there are probably people on this forum on other boards who think Coach is tacky and cheap. I know I get flamed for this but it's not like Coach is uber luxury or elitist. I try to keep this in mind and stay humble.

IMHO we are very fortunate to be able to afford the bags that we own and we should be very grateful. There are a lot of people that would love to own nice bags but simply can't afford them so I see nothing wrong with getting one that looks very similar if it makes them happy. There are also a lot of people in the world that could afford to buy nice bags but don't because they choose to invest their money elsewhere and choose to purchase less expensive handbags. It just depends on the indivisual and their priorities. Things are very tough financially for a lot of people right now and I would be more concerned about them being able to pay their mortgage and putting food on the table then what kind of handbag they are buying.

I don't normally get involved in these type of discussions but times are too tough right now to be worried about something like this.

Last edited:
So is it legal to exactly copy someones design as long as you don't put a logo on it?

Unless Coach has a design patent on the design, others can copy it, unfortunately.....

I notice someone else mentioned copyrights- they're an entirely diff. breed of animal and are used to protect, music, paintings/photographs, writing (books/poems/lyrics etc..) so Copyright infringement is not applicable in this scenario, and as someone else mentioned, Trademark infringement wouldn't apply in this case, unless they used Coach's name in any form to advertise the bags....
(Sorry- but I work for the US Patent & Trademark Office and like to inform folks about Intellectual Property whenever I can :smile:)

I am older and see that Coach is even copying itself - a lot of Leagacy and Bleeker is inspired by older Coach and Bonnie Cashin -
I also am schooled on the higher end bags and do notice that Coach is copying them too -

But - the first thing I though when I walked into Target and saw the Carlys - I knew that Target was "inspired" by Coach and it turned me off.

I used to work with the really wealthy and you would be suprised how cheap most of them are - most love money - not spending it - te he.

I never judge people on how much money they have or if they have tacky bags - personally I might find your bag tacky but still love you as a person. This forum is all about opinions - it would be so boring if we all agreed on everything.

Honestly, unless you wear strictly couture we all wear designer inspired clothing. The malls are full of stores selling almost the same merchandise at different price points. If I wanted the Ergo but didn't think I'd love it past this year I'd get a Tar-go bag. Why not?
I have my Coach bags and I have bags from craft fairs and handmade one of a kind bags and bags I buy at the Salvation Army. I carry them all and love them all (some I love more than others I admit).

That said, I think that those who sell fakes deserve death by drowning by spitting. Fraud and Frugal are two different things.