"Cheating" method to extend straps!

roanth

Jan 23, 2012
My DH gave me a medium PS1 in paprika for Christmas. It's really great except that the long strap is meant for shoulders, not cross body. I really liked the size of the medium so this is what I've done. I ordered some purse hardware from buckleguy.com. I think it might work now. Thought I'd share as this could work with any bag.

Reactions: Sparkletastic
Good work! I've always thought the LV keyring chain would be handy for lengthening a strap too, and they come in gold or silver tone depending on the hardware of your bag.

Wow, thanks for that link, it looks like a great site for anyone who is handy with handbag modifications.

I've been toying with the idea of modifying the chain on my Marc Jacobs Stam with a piece of leather (chain hurts my shoulders).

No modification really necessary, just add extra clasps on each side. For this, you do need a removable strap. I bought antique bronze for my medium PS1. The clasps I bought are called swivel snap/lever/bolt.

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing. It really bugs me that they make the Medium PS1 strap so short, yet the PS1 pouch strap is so long you have to tie a knot in it to wear crossbody. PS logic doesn't resemble my Earth logic. :-/

Here are the pictures. One before extension, one after. I'm terrible at this self-portrait stuff so excuse the poor quality. For reference, I'm 5'4'', about 125 lbs. I do have quite a long torso (short inseam). For me, this works to make the bag comfortable to carry.

The actual hardware that I used (many worked, I ordered several options): http://www.buckleguy.com/3002a-7-16-antique-brass-swivel-trigger-snap-solid-brass-ll/

Attachments

• levers.JPG
    levers.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 6,718
  • photo before.JPG
    photo before.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 7,263
  • photo after.JPG
    photo after.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 6,849
Thanks so much for sharing. I have the same issue with the lenght of the strap too. Ivalways want it longer.

Out of all hardware u ordered, is the one you are using paired out the best?

Thanks