Cheapest Way to Purchase Love Bracelet

hoot

O.G.
Apr 18, 2007
I just purchased my second love bracelet in the Cayman Islands from Kirk Freeport which is an authorized Cartier dealer. The discount is 5% and no tax. So effectively saving me 12% off the cost. The YG was a hair under $6000.
But did you have to pay a tax once you declared it going back to the United States?

I'm currently in Cayman and I think with 5% off and then an added approx 5% when I declare, I'm even. No better off buying it from here. Please tell me if I'm wrong. Thanks!

mrsdjx

Jan 22, 2018
I bought mine in Melbourne tax free and declared it when returning home to New Zealand, they did not charge me NZ tax. From memory some things are exempt from tax in this situation like personal items, jewellery etc. Other things are not exempt, I can't remember exactly what but I think things like cell phones and other goods.

Rahim Noorani

Jul 16, 2018
Recently was in a similar position and actually went out and calculated the price for Love Bracelet in a variety of different countries, taking into account VAT/currency exchange. Let me know what you guys think! Turns out Brazil is way cheaper than any other country. (As a US buyer, I would have to also pay for taxes which are not accounted for here, since they vary state by state)
37154278_1759106100804033_2009900027144568832_n.png

Reactions: Emily Kim

honeypeach

Sep 6, 2014
The point people seem to fail to mention about duty free purchases is that you don't pay duty abroad because there is an assumption you will declare the item and then pay whatever duty your country assesses. It's to prevent double taxation, not to provide you with cheap items. It's not like a "get out of jail free" card where you "save money." You only save money if you cheat on declaring or declare and are not assessed.

Totally agreed with you from a lawyer point of view.
Can’t tell you how many times my client travelled out of Australia and claimed 10% GST ($800) refund, then entered back to Australia with the bracelet on her by lying on the declaration card.. Customs questioned her and cancelled her refund and give her a warning.

Same with Chanel bags, omg, people think it’s fine to give their Chanel jumbo ($8000+) to a friend to bring overseas and back without honest declarations, so they can claim the 10% tax refund? That’s not how it works, and you can be fined heavily.

I guess people just think they can never get caught. But in fact customs are getting much smarter than you.

Queenk2

Aug 26, 2014
On another note, I am interested in the just in clos bracelet. I am visiting Doha in November. Does any Cartier store discount their products? I am transiting on my way back from Australia and New Zealand. Where would I find the best pricing? P,ease any and all suggestions are appreciated.
Karen

avcbob

O.G.
Jan 31, 2009
Its the same with sales tax, as mentioned by another poster above. In the US if you live in a state with a sales tax, you are supposed to declare and pay the sales tax even if the item was purchased in a non sales tax state or via mail order. If you reside in a sales tax state you probably owe the tax and not paying could be considered tax evasion. A vendor that's not collecting tax for whatever reason isn't the same as a tax free purchase.

The point people seem to fail to mention about duty free purchases is that you don't pay duty abroad because there is an assumption you will declare the item and then pay whatever duty your country assesses. It's to prevent double taxation, not to provide you with cheap items. It's not like a "get out of jail free" card where you "save money." You only save money if you cheat on declaring or declare and are not assessed.

Jetsetmax

Apr 22, 2013
A jeweler told me that these bracelet used to cost $1800 usd before the celebs made it popular and increased the price. Is that true? Was that like ten years ago?
A price of $1,800 would have been maybe 20 to 25 years ago, not ten. I got my first love bracelet in 2008 and it was $3,600. However, a friend of mine who collects Cartier pieces found an old Cartier advertisement from I think the early 1970's and a Love bracelet was only $250. Then again a steel Rolex Submariner was also about $250 in the very early 70's and those are about $8,000 brand new today.