Cheap Clothing, Expensive Handbags

LuvDesignerBags

TBS Rocks!!!
O.G.
Jul 21, 2007
There have been many threads on fake bags and why people buy them. But what about buying really expensive bag that are highly quality but not doing the same for your clothing. An example I love watching youtube videos, thats how i unwind. I have noticed that alot people buy expensive bags like chanel, and hermes but they buy 95% of there clothing from forever21, target, and h&m. I dont just observe this online but also in real life. Why put so much money into your handbags but not at least have nice quality clothes? I am not saying you have to be buying strictly high end designers for clothing. Whats wrong with something that cost a little bit more in a person wardrobe. To me its like raving about the quality of designer bags but saying it doesn't matter about clothes. I am not saying I buy the most expensive clothing but it just doesn't seem to connect. I wonder if I am missing something. Is it better to buy cheaper?

Reactions: ps04997
I laughed when I saw the title of your post because I was like, "Um...that's me!" I love and am thrilled to own bags from Coach, McQueen, Choo, Dior...but I wear tons of clothes mostly from Old Navy, Dress Barn, H&M, etc. I think it depends on how you pull an outfit together. If you have style, you can put together cool combos and pull it off. Plus, a gorgeous handbag makes and pulls together an entire outfit. I keep my clothing simple - mostly solid colors or neutrals, skirts, black tights, etc. - and rock out with an incredible bag. Also, I know the difference between the chintzy-looking stuff at the previously mentioned clothing stores and the better quality stuff that will last a bit longer. It may also have to do with the fact that I detest trying clothes on; I find it a pain in the butt and exhausting. So when I find a sweater I like, I buy it in 3 or 4 colors/etc. You can't necessarily do that with higher end clothing.
I will say, though, that as much as I hate trying stuff on, I won't compromise on shoes and boots. Mine aren't high end, but they are cute and high quality.
:smile:

Reactions: beeb
I often wonder that as well. My general rule is spend money on classics whether it be accessories or clothing. If something is trendy then I'll go to H&M. Additionally I look for quality which isn't always a designer brand. One item that comes to mind is the wool coat I purchased from Express about 6 years ago. It is a pea coat which is classic and has held up extremely well.
Lastly I always think that different people value different things. One sister won't buy designer handbags but loves designer clothing, and another is the exact opposite, while I do a mix.

My wardrobe varies greatly for clothes, but I stick to designer bags and wallets. I don't think there's anything wrong with designer clothes and own a couple of pieces.

I feel as though there are more opportunities to wear a bag. I can carry it two weeks in a row without someone saying anything to me, I don't have to worry if my weight fluctuates, and I see myself using it for years. My clothes though, I'll wear through. I'm hard on my clothes, my tastes change often, and maintenance for higher-end clothes is a hassle for me. I will ask myself if I like an item enough or if I'll wind-up forgoing wearing it in lieu of something that is machine washable.

In the end though, it's mainly me just liking a bag more than I like an article of clothing. I haven't found a piece that captivates me in the same way as some of my purses. Others may be more captivated by a stunning ballgown or power suit and couldn't care less about the accessories. To each their own.

My wardrobe consist of a mix of high street and designer brands.

The way I see it.. I can still wear my bags at in 24 years time when I am 45 (currently 21), whereas I may not want to wear that crop top or miniskirt in 24 years time :biggrin:. Fashion changes and moves quickly, so I find it better to spend reasonable amounts on clothes and have classic accessories (e.g. Burberry scarf) and bags that are timeless and can always be worn.

The designer clothing items that I own are pretty classic (e.g. Ralph Lauren jumpers and shirts, Burberry cardigan, etc) so I can incorporate them in to my outfits for years to come.

I also like the look of mixing non-designer with designer and making it match my style more :biggrin:

Reactions: handbag_holic
I am a jeans girl. And it´s true that I only buy J Brand or Paige or True Religion because of their extraordinary quality. But when it comes to tops, I don't want to spend a lot. Just buy them from much cheaper brands.
I would say It's the same with bags. I carry high end or no branded bags as long as they are good quality.... And not made in China!

I'm very picky about clothes, so most of my clothes are designer (mix of high end, like YSL, Peter Som, Lela Rose, Prada, Miu Miu, Fendi, Yigal Azrouel, etc. and contemporary like Theory, DVF, Philip Lim, BCBG, etc.). I believe in quality clothes that last years. I don't buy like crazy, just a few solid pieces each season. At this point I have a nice collection that I wear year after year. However, I also like buying from Zara, which still has the quality but cheap prices. But I can definitely see a difference between street stuff and high end stuff. Most of the money I spend on fashion actually goes to clothes and shoes, not bags. But that's because bags are ridiculously expensive now.

In short, I'm obsessed with bags but ambivalent about clothes.

I wear items that fit well and look fine...and came from non-designer brands. My wardrobe just isn't an area where I choose to focus my budget.

I can guarantee you'll never find me posting on The Clothes Forum. :smile:

^^^ Me too. Fit & appropriate for over 55 is what I look for.

Clothing that last few years has taken a huge hit in quality.
I won't pay what they want for most of the stuff. 2 washing & its history.
Even my dry cleaner has noticed.

If I buy something from Chicos or Black/White & it doesn't last more than a season, I don't care.

I wear what I like with whatever bag I choose. If I like what I see in the mirror, that's all that matters to me. I am not an actress stepping out on the stage or a celebrity pursued by paparazzi. A passing stranger's opinion does nothing to undermine either my composure or self confidence.

It's good to be old. :broom:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 3,813
Reactions: bagmom30
I'm one! I love bags and even like to look at them when I have no intention of buying, just for enjoyment.

I don't have high standards for clothes though - must be washable, no iron, fit me and not make me laugh out loud when I look in the mirror - you'd be amazed what an ordeal it is to find anything that even meets those low standards!

When I do, like someone else here said, I buy it in every colour. I'm always desperate for more clothes because it's so hard to find anything I like (and because no matter what you pay, everything seems to fall apart after a few wearings/washings). One of the most expensive items I ever bought was a 'designer' jacket and when I took it out of the bag at home one of the snaps fell off!

I can't compromise on shoes though, 99% of them hurt my feet after walking a few steps (and I have to walk miles every day to/from transit, around my workplace, etc.). I'm sure people think I only have one pair of shoes (actually I have five identical pairs because I haven't found any others that are comfortable!) I'm in a panic now because they've stopped making them and I'll have to start my search over for when these wear out.

My clothing style goes through seasons, depending on what I would like the public to see me as. In my early twenties I tried to do tight tops and mini skirts, then I tried to rock elegant dresses. Now I only buy and wear loose teen tee shirts and shorts or skirts. I never thought designer clothing is worth my money. Same with shoes. But bags are my constant. I can carry the same piece day after day for months, but I cannot wear the same clothing in that manner.

Reactions: handbag_holic
I hate to say this, but I'm one of those girls who will step out with my Chanel Flap or Hermes Kelly... and cheap H&M leggings! Sometimes it's hard to say no to the comfort lol. If it makes it any better, I almost always wear nice shoes (even if they're comfy Choo flats or Chanel espadrilles).

Reactions: princess621
I think it depends a bit on age. I'm 29, and I would much prefer a classic Balenciaga dress, but my sister who is 21 will wear her mulberry or alexander wang Rocco with H&M. She's young, and prefers disposable trendy fashion.

There have been many threads on fake bags and why people buy them. But what about buying really expensive bag that are highly quality but not doing the same for your clothing. An example I love watching youtube videos, thats how i unwind. I have noticed that alot people buy expensive bags like chanel, and hermes but they buy 95% of there clothing from forever21, target, and h&m. I dont just observe this online but also in real life. Why put so much money into your handbags but not at least have nice quality clothes? I am not saying you have to be buying strictly high end designers for clothing. Whats wrong with something that cost a little bit more in a person wardrobe. To me its like raving about the quality of designer bags but saying it doesn't matter about clothes. I am not saying I buy the most expensive clothing but it just doesn't seem to connect. I wonder if I am missing something. Is it better to buy cheaper?

Have faith in yourself. Investing in clothes is just as important as bags and shoes (I wrote about it on my blog).

That doesn't mean everything is 'designer', it just means I try to buy everything of quality. Often you can find good quality at reasonable prices, and on the high St. You just have to know what suits you, what you wear, and what quality means.