Charlize Theron

Tully is already getting good reviews.
tully-charlize-theron-today-191101-tease-03_2852959446ae0e3b7eeef46253ba76fd.jpg

A very different kind of adult fairy tale (one that frequently doubles as a feature-length advertisement for tubal ligation), “Tully” is a fantasy of the highest order; it might look like an episode of “This Is Us,” but this story is every bit as magical as “The Shape of Water.” Think of it as Diablo Cody’s modern take on “Mary Poppins”: What it lacks in songs, it more than makes up for in sex scenes and Carly Rae Jepsen sing-alongs. Funnier than “Juno” and almost as ruthlessly honest as “Young Adult,” Cody’s third collaboration with director Jason Reitman is a razor-sharp movie about the trials of motherhood, and the clear and present danger of losing yourself once you start living for someone else.

We meet Marlo (a convincingly worn-out Charlize Theron) belly first, the verypregnant 40-year-old mother of two trundling down the staircase of her suburban house with a look on her fact that suggests the life growing in her stomach is the only life she has left. “I feel like an abandoned trash barge,” she admits to her affluent brother (Mark Duplass). “My body looks like a relief map for a war-torn country,” she tells someone a few months later when asked about the last time she had sex with her casually negligent husband (Ron Livingston, in a role that appropriately asks very little of him). This new baby was an accident, and not — it seems — a happy one.
In fairness, Marlo has her hands full already. Her eight-year-old daughter is just getting to that age when kids start defaulting to self-doubt, and her son — whom it’s suggested is somewhere on the autism spectrum — is about to get kicked out of kindergarten. The face she makes when the third child finally comes out is that of someone who’s been stop-lossed into another tour of duty. Forget the miracle of life and the joys of motherhood; baby Mia is just a hungry leech who never lets Marlo get a good night’s sleep.

While her husband plays videogames in bed and goes on work trips to Phoenix, Marlo sits awake and obsessively watches reruns of the magnificent Showtime reality series “Gigolos” (Cody once again displays a rare and beautiful gift for using pop culture to reveal her characters’ weak spots). Her nipples are leaking, her feet have grown three sizes since the first time she got pregnant, and her belly is… well, either Theron really committed to the role, or she’s wearing the most believable fat suit in film history.

And then Tully (Mackenzie Davis, as magnetic here as she was in 2016’s “Always Shine”) rings the doorbell: “I’m here to take care of you.” And just like that, everything changes. Marlo was reluctant to accept her brother’s offer to pay for a night nurse, but it only takes a few hours for her to realize how desperately she needed the help.

Tully is a dream come true. She’s kicky and familiar and she looks at Mia with a starry-eyed grin that Marlo might find troubling if she weren’t too exhausted to care. If there’s something vaguely demented about how much she enjoys helping out, that’s only because the film has so thoroughly disabused us of the idea that motherhood is supposed to be special. Marlo is reborn. As she puts it: “It’s like I can see color again.”
charlize-theron-in-tully-2018-850x491.png

It’s every mother’s fantasy: Getting her life back without giving one up in return. And while it’s super bougie to make a movie about the joys of hiring some new help, Davis single-handedly pulls “Tully” over that hump, transforming the title character into such a delightful manic pixie dream nurse that she always seems a bit unreal; not even the richest people in the world could buy this kind of care. Cost is never discussed — it’s more like Marlo found a genie in a bottle. Tully’s alien warmth and android-like way of thinking only grow weirder as things go on, and it isn’t long before we realize that the film might actually be flirting with the supernatural (no spoilers here, but the story is littered with all sorts of intriguing clues).

Tully’s alien warmth and android-like way of thinking only grow weirder as the film goes on, and while this is not a subtle film, there’s something graceful and true about how casually it explores the ways in which people now outsource certain parts of their lives. One of the smartest things about Cody’s script is how it balances the scales of Marlo’s life, never taking something off her plate without putting something on it in return. Mia might be taken care of, but now Marlo has to find a new school for her son. Tully might remind Marlo of the woman she used to be (and the abs she used to have), but tapping into the past has a way of resurfacing old regrets. Defining questions eventually emerge: Is the old Marlo dead, or is she just kind of dormant? Does motherhood require a woman to sacrifice herself at the altar of her children, or is keeping some part of herself a key to ensuring that her kids have someone to love?

“Tully” builds to a big twist that lands far too softly for the stakes that Cody and Reitman have established, but it’s a small price to pay for the pleasure of getting there. Theron and Davis are dynamite together, the actresses playing off each other like two sides of the same coin. With Marlo, Theron hilariously channels Imperator Furiosa’s rage into a familiar kind of resentment; with Tully, Davis becomes the best kind of foil, earning laughs through pure sincerity. “Tully” never pulls at your heartstrings quite as hard as it might, but there’s something beautiful about the way these two women both learn to love themselves, and in a way that also makes it easier for them to love each other.
http://www.indiewire.com/2018/01/tu...ody-charlize-theron-sundance-2018-1201921773/

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...ay-metoo-social-justice-kweku-mandela-1083689
To honor the centenary of South African freedom fighter Nelson Mandela’s birth, Charlize Theron and Mandela's grandson, Kweku Mandela, discussed issues related to the icon's legacy in a conversation at Westwood’s Geffen Playhouse on Feb. 10. Following opening remarks by Chelsea Handler was a wide-ranging talk on topics like equal pay and #MeToo, moderated by Soledad O’Brien.

“I’m proud to say that I am a ****ing feminist!” said Theron, a South African native, rousing about 125 guests in the Geffen’s Audrey Skirball Kenis Theater after recalling how she used to shy away from the term. “I remember always saying being a feminist meant a different thing to everybody. And I would apologize for it. And I had to ask, why was that? Why couldn’t I just say, 'Yes, I’m a feminist?'”

She went on to mention the flap over The Huntsman: Winter’s War, for which she demanded and got equal pay (over $10 million) to costar Chris Hemsworth. “I am in a position where I could put my foot down and say, 'I want equal pay to my male costar,' who I had billed another movie with. We were doing a sequel, we had done it together, why not? What was interesting about it was I had a studio that said all right. And I was like, 'Oh? We just need to say this? We just need to not be so polite about it and say what we want?'”

It was a lesson she relayed with the caveat that she occupies a unique place in Hollywood, and many other actors would likely be fired for demanding equal pay. “I felt lucky,” she concluded — then took it back. “No, I didn’t feel lucky. I deserved that and I asked for it.”

Both found it easy to link the demand for equal pay and movements like #MeToo directly to Mandela's legacy — a populist call for justice spreading like wildfire. "The amount of traction and the amount of women who are being empowered by other women to step forward and actually speak their truth, I know in my life I’ve never seen anything like that," said Theron. "I think success for us as women is going to come out of the support that we give each other, out of not stopping this moment. This is a rock rolling down a mountain really fast, and I'm quite enjoying watching it."

The evening was the first of 100 Conversations that will be happening around the globe as part of an initiative launched by Kweku Mandela and Patrick Finnegan. The idea is to expand Mandela’s legacy of tolerance and empathy through conversation, but also to explore social justice issues affecting individual communities.

“2017 was a year of a lot of division and my hope is that 2018 will not only be the year of women, but also be the year of love, where we realize that connection is the solution,” Mandela told the crowd. “It’s something my grandfather talked about a lot, the importance of realizing what we have in common with each other rather than what makes us different.”

Both Theron and Mandela (co-founder of the House of Mandela Family Foundation) agreed that the key to a better future lies with millennials, although the latter expressed concern that while many know his grandfather’s name they may not know what he stood for. “For me, it was really important to find a platform where I could encourage them to look at my grandfather’s legacy and then realize the impact they can have," he said. "They probably have the biggest potential to impact our world.”

A crusader against colonization and segregation, Nelson Mandela was arrested in 1962 and served 27 years for conspiracy to overthrow the government of South Africa. Upon his release, his continued campaign against apartheid and a wave of populism swept him into the presidency in 1994 after he'd won the Nobel Peace Prize a year earlier.

The fundraiser was part of the Geffen Playhouse Unscripted Live series, with proceeds going to the Geffen Playhouse High School Partnerships Program and the Charlize Theron Africa Outreach Project (CTAOP), focusing on youth and HIV/AIDS awareness and protection. Established in 2007, the program has reached over 300,000 in a nation with the highest HIV rate in the world.

Surprisingly, throughout the night South Africa was mentioned only in passing, despite the fact that Feb. 11 marks the day Mandela was released from prison in 1990, as well as the launch of centenary celebrations throughout 2018 in Cape Town. The conversation can be heard on the podcast Geffen Playhouse Unscripted starting Feb. 21.

Reactions: Scottb