Charging more shipping than what was stated??!!

bump for similar problem...

I won an auction from an australian seller, and the auction clearly states that shipping to the US is 15 AU dollars. While checking out, I noticed the invoice had been changed to 25 AU dollars. I wrote an email to the seller questioning the change, and the seller responded that the bag was heavier than expected and shipping was more. I responded that I should not have to pay the difference since it was not my mistake that the shipping had been miscalculated.

Seller later responds that they'll ship for $15 via airmail if that is ok with me... I respond as long as the shipment is trackable with sig, then any way of shipment is fine with me. Seller says they can't ship it that way if it is sent airmail. Period. No other solution is offered.

I feel like the seller is trying to get me to agree to airmail.... if I agree, am I responsible if anything happens to the shipment? Should I just suck it up and pay the extra, continue to badger the seller, or just back out of the auction? At this point, I frustrated enough to back out because of the principle of it all.

Tracking is for the SELLER's protection, not yours. If you do not receive the item, you can file a INR with ebay. Unless the seller can prove the item was shipped and delivered, you will get your money back. This can suck for a seller who loses item and money.

HTH!

It's so hard to guess international postage pricing here, so the seller really should have weighed the bag beforehand. Honestly, it's fine for you to have it sent Air Mail though. Your item being posted without signature confirmation is really no concern to you, because the seller is the one that should be worried about the delivery being recorded. If it doesn't turn up, you can still claim with PayPal and the onus is on the seller.

So is it ok if I agree that it's ok for the seller to ship airmail? I just don't want it to bite me in the butt if something bad happens later on.

It's fine. The seller is the one doing themselves a disservice by not paying the extra for signature confirmation. If anything happens during shipment and you don't receive the item, PayPal will require THEM to prove that they sent the it. If they don't send it with sig confirmation it's their problem, not yours, you'll still get your money back if it doesn't show because they won't be able to prove it was sent/received. As the buyer you're fully covered.