charged too much for shipping

Typically, no - from what I understand, they would just notify the recipient that additional postage fees are due before it can be delivered, and ask the recipient to pay them. It's possible for a buyer to refuse and just say "return to sender" -- or they may pay it & ding you on S/H feedback... after reading the threads on tPF, it's possible for ANYthing to happen, regardless of how/where/when you ship. :-/

For shipping from home - I use a postal scale to weigh my items (found at Staples for $15-20, I think)... then add on an extra ounce or so, just to be safe...

How often/how much do you sell? It may be worth it to invest in a postage scale, or one that measures in ounces (I wonder if food scales would work, too? And how the prices compare to postal scales? Anyone know?). Or you can use the flat rate USPS boxes, and then the specific weight wouldn't matter (if your item's under 70#). Also - many of the Priority and Flat Rate supplies can be ordered for free from USPS' web site.

I use a food scale I bought 5 years ago at Bed, bath and beyond for about $10. It works great, is completely accurate and saves me a ton of time and money.

This is the exact one I use. (I used a $5 off $15 coupon and at the time, it was priced at $14.99)

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=15947047

Typically, no - from what I understand, they would just notify the recipient that additional postage fees are due before it can be delivered, and ask the recipient to pay them. It's possible for a buyer to refuse and just say "return to sender" -- or they may pay it & ding you on S/H feedback... after reading the threads on tPF, it's possible for ANYthing to happen, regardless of how/where/when you ship. :-/

For shipping from home - I use a postal scale to weigh my items (found at Staples for $15-20, I think)... then add on an extra ounce or so, just to be safe...

How often/how much do you sell? It may be worth it to invest in a postage scale, or one that measures in ounces (I wonder if food scales would work, too? And how the prices compare to postal scales? Anyone know?). Or you can use the flat rate USPS boxes, and then the specific weight wouldn't matter (if your item's under 70#). Also - many of the Priority and Flat Rate supplies can be ordered for free from USPS' web site.
Thank you! :smile:
I don't sell too often, previously few books and now some bags because I need space in my closet :smile: So, special scale might not make sense for me, but I will check out.