Chargeback question

TooManyWantMore

LV Content
Dec 11, 2012
I sold a bag, the buyer paid today. While her location is United Arab Emirates, she has a confirmed address in NY. I shipped today with insurance for the full value of the sale and with the pink signature confirmation label. She has a feedback of 0 but has been a member on ebay since 2011. The address in NY is a shipper which leads me to believe that she is having the item shipped there then they will ship to her. She asked me to declare a value under $250 but I told her that I have to insure it for the full sale value of $2000 with signature confirmation but would not include an invoice. I called Paypal this morning to confirm that I was taking the right steps and I have but after reading horror stories, I'm concerned that it may be a scam. Apparently the buyer can file a chargeback with her credit card company and claiming fraudulent charges or that it's not as described and will get a refund and get to keep my item. I'm scared and part of me is wondering if I should try to recall the package and cancel the transaction. The other part is thinking that I should go along with the transaction because she has been responsive and done everything right so far. What do you guys think?

I wonder why she doesn't want you to declare the whole value? Whenever I ship something, I always insure the WHOLE amount just in case USPS loses my package.

I have shipped to NY companies that forward to the Middle East without problems. But have never been asked not to declare the full value.
Oh thank you, thank you for your response. I'm about to go crazy over here. She is worried about having a large customs fee but if she's shipping it to herself or having someone ship it for her, it shouldn't be an issue. My biggest fear is the 0 feedback and high value of the item. But everyone has to start somewhere you know. And like I told my husband, anyone can file a chargeback, no matter where in the world you are.

I wonder why she doesn't want you to declare the whole value? Whenever I ship something, I always insure the WHOLE amount just in case USPS loses my package.
Exactly! I apologized and told her that I'd have to insure for the full value just in case the package was lost in the mail to protect us both against loss. I'm hoping that because she doesn't have any feeback, she just doesn't know...:shrugs:

If you go to the details page of the PP transaction, does it say "eligible" for seller protection in the upper right?

If so, you are covered for unauthorized use chargebacks.

If you go to the details page of the PP transaction, does it say "eligible" for seller protection in the upper right?

If so, you are covered for unauthorized use chargebacks.
You are just amazing, I didn't know that! It does say that I'm eligible for seller protection. The only other scare is the item not as described. I know my item is as described but it's the only door opened for chargeback now. I'm feeling a little better about this and I'm hoping that all goes well. Thank you all so very much!

I sold a bag, the buyer paid today. While her location is United Arab Emirates, she has a confirmed address in NY. I shipped today with insurance for the full value of the sale and with the pink signature confirmation label. She has a feedback of 0 but has been a member on ebay since 2011. The address in NY is a shipper which leads me to believe that she is having the item shipped there then they will ship to her. She asked me to declare a value under $250 but I told her that I have to insure it for the full sale value of $2000 with signature confirmation but would not include an invoice. I called Paypal this morning to confirm that I was taking the right steps and I have but after reading horror stories, I'm concerned that it may be a scam. Apparently the buyer can file a chargeback with her credit card company and claiming fraudulent charges or that it's not as described and will get a refund and get to keep my item. I'm scared and part of me is wondering if I should try to recall the package and cancel the transaction. The other part is thinking that I should go along with the transaction because she has been responsive and done everything right so far. What do you guys think?

If you shipped to a NY shipper, I am assuming that you were not required to fill out any customs forms or make any kind of customs declaration. The NY shipper is the one who will have to provide the customs information. I expect your buyer inadvertently requested you to declare a lower value when she meant to ask her NY shipper. And whatever the NY shipper does is not your responsibility.

There is nothing I can see here for you to worry about. I'm sure it will all be fine.

You are just amazing, I didn't know that! It does say that I'm eligible for seller protection. The only other scare is the item not as described. I know my item is as described but it's the only door opened for chargeback now. I'm feeling a little better about this and I'm hoping that all goes well. Thank you all so very much!
Good! Not to worry then!

You have seller protection & have insured for the full value.

Rest your mind... so far so good
Thank you! I sure hope so. I'm sure that I'm overthinking it, I just read so much here that everything makes me nervous.
If you shipped to a NY shipper, I am assuming that you were not required to fill out any customs forms or make any kind of customs declaration. The NY shipper is the one who will have to provide the customs information. I expect your buyer inadvertently requested you to declare a lower value when she meant to ask her NY shipper. And whatever the NY shipper does is not your responsibility.

There is nothing I can see here for you to worry about. I'm sure it will all be fine.

I didn't fill out any customs forms because it was going to NY, so this was my understanding too. The insurance with USPS shouldn't have anything to do with how her shipper ships it. The insurance with USPS gets it to her confirmed address in NY with insurance. I hope it goes smoothly and she receives it well.