Chargeback question, what do you think?....

girluvscoach

Aug 23, 2007
Ok, experienced ebay sellers, have you ever had a buyer file a chargeback with their credit card company when they gave confirmed address?

A buyer purchased a Coach purse from me in April, paid through Paypal, provided a confirmed address, I shipped it out with delivery confirmation and insurance. It was delivered 2 days later. The buyer left me positive feedback. I have the entire paper trail and it was a perfect transaction.

Now, 4 months later they claim with their credit card company that they didn't make the purchase. The money has been placed "on hold" until the investigation is complete.

Ever heard of such a thing?? Surely it will fall in my favor and I will get my money back, right?? :sad:

I am so sorry this happened to you. I don't have this experience, but PayPal should protect you since you shipped to a confirmed address. Do you have a copy of buyer's signature of receiving? Maybe you could call PayPal (888) 221-1161 and talk to their representatives?

I did not require a signature but the item was under $250 so it shouldn't matter under the seller protection policy, right?

I've done everything I can do on my part, so I guess now I just wait. If I don't hear something in a few days I will try to call paypal. I was just wondering if this had happened to anyone else.

Yes, it happened to me.
Sold a pair of Coach Sela Boots.
Great communication from the buyer and she also left me positive feedback too.
Then almost two months later, pp sends me a message that they are holding the funds and that the buyer did a charge back.
I had to provide pp with the tracking number.
PP did not request this but ... I also faxed them a copy of my auction, copy of the original receipt, the shipping tracking information, postal receipt and a copy of the buyers feedback.
I won. Got my funds back too. :smile:

So, I think that peeps forget what they buy
1) it only states your *bay user id on their cc slips.... so then they question it... "I didn't buy anything from xxxx" so they do a charge back
2) or her spouse (or SO) saw it and did a CB.
3) none of the above - just likes to do CB's.

Also, I did try to contact that buyer... they closed their *bay account and related email address too. So I had no way of communicating with them. (and at the time - I did not know that I could have requested their phone number via *bay).

Lovely4, thank you for posting! Your story makes me feel a little better. I included all the tracking information in my response to Paypal but maybe I should fax copies of everything too? I'll look into it tonight.

Agree with the reasons for the chargeback after so many months! Here's another option of what could happen. I was thinking how easy it would be for a teenager to get ahold of mom's ebay account which is attached to mom's credit card and she could just snag the package when it arrived and mom would never know until the credit card bill came.

THe good news is this is exactly what seller protection covers you for.

Because she is claiming she didn't order/receive AND you have proof it was delivered to the confirmed address even if the CC chargeback is successful, Paypal will still give you the money. This is precisely what Seller Protection covers. Just be thankful the wench didn't claim the bag was fake, etc... then you would have been screwed.

Just give the tracking info to Paypal. You should be fine.

Lovely4, thank you for posting! Your story makes me feel a little better. I included all the tracking information in my response to Paypal but maybe I should fax copies of everything too? I'll look into it tonight.

Agree with the reasons for the chargeback after so many months! Here's another option of what could happen. I was thinking how easy it would be for a teenager to get ahold of mom's ebay account which is attached to mom's credit card and she could just snag the package when it arrived and mom would never know until the credit card bill came.

Yes, I sent everything to pp. I was not taking any chances.
BTW- love your reason - silly me forgot that one.

When I get to the office - I will check my *bay files to see how long it took - for me to get my refund. Then you can have an idea on a time frame. So a little patience maybe required here. :smile:

Well, it happened to me 2 years ago. It was a long stressful dispute. I sold LV purse to the crazy buyer. If buyer file the dispute with paypal, things are much easier but not with credit company. Even though the dispute was resolved in my favor, CC tried to hold my money as long as they could, for up to 45 days or so ( do not remember how long exactly ) Paypal personnel did help me a lot but there weren't much they could do. They did try to push CC, though. I was told one particular CC was notorious about keeping money longer than the other. I hope everything moves fast for you !;)

Last edited:
I had the same thing happen to me.....sold a DVF skirt, sent it out with DC by USPS and about 45 days later.....chargeback and hold via PP. It took about 2 weeks to have funds released but I was covered by the Seller Protection since buyer's address was confirmed. You should be fine. Do forward your paperwork to PP if everything is in order.....it just shows them you are on top of everything.

Yes, I sent everything to pp. I was not taking any chances.
BTW- love your reason - silly me forgot that one.

When I get to the office - I will check my *bay files to see how long it took - for me to get my refund. Then you can have an idea on a time frame. So a little patience maybe required here. :smile:

Ok - sorry this took so long. :crybaby: Very busy at the office.

From my experience with a charge-back buyer.

She bought the item on 4/2/08, paid on 4/3/08 and received the item on 4/5/08 - and left me positive feedback.

Then she did a chargeback on 5/14/08:confused1:
So I emailed and faxed to pp
and won my case on 6/6/08

I hope it all works out for you!!! :smile::tup:

Well, it happened to me 2 years ago. It was a long stressful dispute. I sold LV purse to the crazy buyer. If buyer file the dispute with paypal, things are much easier but not with credit company. Even though the dispute was resolved in my favor, CC tried to hold my money as long as they could, for up to 45 days or so ( do not remember how long exactly ) Paypal personnel did help me a lot but there weren't much they could do. They did try to push CC, though. I was told one particular CC was notorious about keeping money longer than the other. I hope everything moves fast for you !;)

Why would the CC hold your money? So the buyer did a chargeback with their CC company instead of Paypal? Paypal is the one that withdrew the money from your account not the buyer's CC company, right?

As long as you proved to Paypal that you delivered it the confirmed address (with sig if > $250) seller protection should protect you from a chargeback for non-delivery.