Charge send fraud

katlun

O.G.
Dec 29, 2007
had to share what happen to me when I did a charge send

I placed an order for a cement Rory last week in my FP store, they took a hard copy of my cc to fax over the form to the outlet for my purchase

fastward to yesterday, I get a phone call from Citibank fraud wanting to know about some "activity" on my cc account

it seems the day after I did the charge send there was activity that I didn't do

I only use this cc for online purchases and at the Coach store for charge sends - which I have done before, because Citibank calls me about every little charge & I love them for that and tell them thank you for keeping such a good eye on my account

the only charge I made this month was the Coach one - so is it coincidence that this happen right after my charge send I think not

Called Coach & told them to keep the Rory and please credit my account for the full amount - that's right I don't even have the purse had it sent to the FP store so they could call me when it came in

I just hope I didn't open the door to identity theft

I just feel that the charge sends places to much trust into Coach's hands

Citibank did that yesterday and I already got the new one today - this I why I love Citibank

I guess I was just a little naive about charge sends

There should be a time stamp for the fraudulent transaction. I would be raising hell with Coach. They should be able to narrow down who ran that transaction based on the time stamp. Whoever made that charge has no business working in retail and handling cash and credit cards. If they've done it to you, they have probably done it before, and just have not been caught!

Citibank did that yesterday and I already got the new one today - this I why I love Citibank

I guess I was just a little naive about charge sends

I would've never thought they would do something like that but I guess you never know who is on the other end of the line. I would contact the store and file a complaint. If you don't put some heat behind it. That person may continue to do this to other people...who might not have Citibank.

There should be a time stamp for the fraudulent transaction. I would be raising hell with Coach. They should be able to narrow down who ran that transaction based on the time stamp. Whoever made that charge has no business working in retail and handling cash and credit cards. If they've done it to you, they have probably done it before, and just have not been caught!

This X 100!!!

That is absolutely terrible and I'm so sorry you decided to not get the bag!! This is exactly what I was worried about and posted about in another thread where someone was asking about charge sends!! I was shocked they still operate this way taking a copy of a credit card for a charge send rather than setting up their systems to accept purchases for another store they are really setting themselves up for issues like this and looking really unprofessional! I was returning a few things earlier this week at an outlet and their computer apparently froze mid transaction so they made a copy of my cc... I probably should have questioned that and just had them repeat the transaction even if I had to rebuy and return rather than have my personal information laying around somewhere in their store... Ughhhhhhhh this just makes my stomach knot thinking about it... I should really designate a cc for online purchases the way you have but I gueSs I've gotten greedy with the cash back that I use one for everything now. Thank you for posting though! I always go through my statements but maybe I should start double checking!

This kind of stuff gets me really heated up, because my ex used to run a retail store, and we saw various forms of employee theft ALL THE TIME. Inevitably, the thief would start small, taking a small piece of inventory or a few dollars from the register -stuff that isn't missed right away, or can be written off as "someone must have accidentally given the wrong change". Then it moves on to bigger items, because now they feel bold, and like management is too stupid to notice. They'd all get caught after pulling a big stunt like this, and it always uncovered a pattern of small thievery prior.

I don't know anything about Coach's loss prevention practices, but they likely have cameras in the store, log-ons for the computers, etc. They will be able to figure out who has done this, if they want to pursue it. This may be the first time the thief tried this with a customer card, but I'd bet anything they've been stealing small items from the store for awhile, and getting away with it. Now they are trying something bigger, because no one has caught them before.

Thanks everyone, I knew you all would understand, just wanted to warn you all about this, to be informed

I called Coach and spent close to an hour on the phone yesterday, they said they would call me back but nothing....will call later if I don't get a phone call soon

I have done many charge sends from different stores and never had a problem. How do you know the card theft happened at the Coach store? It could have happened at anytime you used it for a online purchase.

Generally criminals of this nature are not stupid enough to sh!t where they eat. The # is stolen and then sold on. Check out msnbc documentary to catch a thief.

Why do you think it was someone from Coach?

I don't use this cc often and the day after the charge send, a charge was made in a small amount and then more and all online where you don't need to swipe the cc

Citibank called because this is activity that doesn't happen on this card, it raised red flags with them

And a charge send has a lot of info that is easy to use your card and even google me to get more info and do some more theft

Just google yourself and see what if is out there on the web