Chantilly Gm strap replacement cost?

Chicmom36

Dec 5, 2018
inCollage_20181205_191306761.jpg Hi, I'm considering purchasing a Chantilly Gm For $325 but the strap will need to be replaced soon..it has cracks . Does anyone know how much does this cost?.or is it worth it to buy a bag knowing I need to replace strap?..newbie here so I need all the advice possible. Thanks

Last edited:
If you are buying this from a Japanese seller on eBay I would pass. Many of the bags from that humid climate will have so much leather damage and cracks are so common, it is like the leather just falls apart. I don’t think it is worth the problems because you will probably need to replace all the leather and that will be a costly expense. The bottom piece of the leather that the side straps are attached to will crack on top from the age and weight of the bag so it will not just be the strap that needs replacing.

If you do buy a bag that needs leather replacement I would call LV and see if they actually replace the leather for that model bag. I would think you can get a price quote from them too.

I had a Chantilly Gm that I gave to my relative. The bag is over 25 years old and she still uses it. It also has no leather problems but I have always cleaned and conditioned the leather so aside from it getting darker no cracks on any piece of the bag.

Hi, thank your reply and advise. The seller is from Hawaii. She is a well known seller. Not ebay. Now, I'm more confused . I bought the bag and they are no refunds. Hopefully it won't be such a pain and will last. I had several people tell me it was a good price for that bag. ☹

You can also check out some sellers on Etsy that sell vachetta leather straps that can work with this purse. You can buy a strap that is in the style of the NOE strap that could be adjustable on each side of the bag. But the strap would have to be a leather one and not end with a snap hook to clip on because the hardware is flat versus a circle. And the leather width would need to be measured to be the same width of the existing strap.

Perhaps someone can reply on this thread with Etsy sellers they have used. I have seen some Etsy straps that are a perfect match for LV leather.
Good luck with your bag. I would condition the leather as soon as possible.

I was quoted $290 for a 2012 chantilly (not sure in size... not a gm?) strap and the square hardware. And that’s just the strap. The vachetta around the curved bottom and the front strap with the buckle is extra, of course. If the canvas is flawless I’d go for it. Otherwise, no. But that’s just my opinion. Honestly, I’ve wished the strap on my chantilly was removable. You could just cut off the strap and use the canvas Pochette Métis LV strap, or fun bandolier straps, or a replica strap from mcraft leather on Etsy. I can personally vouch for that shop! The chantilly is a great classic bag!

Also, that’s the same place my chantilly strap started to wear. The stitches came out and the leather like peeled apart and started to really thin. Might be a flaw with this bags design idk. But my new strap is perfect and seems solid.

Wow! You are incredibly knowledgeable...I have no idea about any of this. I'm so incredibly clueless. Now, I feel I made a rookie mistake purchasing the bag. I got it for $300total including shipping. inCollage_20181206_003524873.jpg inCollage_20181206_003331706.jpg inCollage_20181206_003609176.jpg inCollage_20181206_003524873.jpg inCollage_20181206_003331706.jpg inCollage_20181206_003609176.jpg

Great advice. Which strap did you get for the chantilly? Was it from that Etsy shop?
The bag I bought was made in 1988.
I got my strap replaced, but only because my SA comped the repair. I have other straps from mcraft for other bags and he’s even made me a custom strap.

Have you had the bag authenticated by a third party? $300 seems too good to be true imho.

The vachetta looks overall very good to me, but dry. I’d do a Cadillac conditioner treatment on it to see if it will get rid of some of the reptile look in spots lol. I wouldn’t do anything else to it. Otherwise, I like the dark patina especially on vintage bags and it is more carefree once it gets to that darker stage.

I’m not knowledgeable in authentication, especially with vintage bags. It just seems like it’s in good condition and any reputable seller should know they could have gotten much more than $300 for it, even with strap issues. I’d post pics in the authentication section of this forum just to put my mind at ease and before taking it in to your SA for a quote.

I highly recommend that you authenticate this bag with a third party service.
About the strap, I'd probably just wear the bag with the current one until it's no longer possible and then I'd cut off the strap and use another one.

Hi! Im not sure if you ever decided to get the strap replaced on your bag. I also have the Chantilly GM and spent like $234 about 5 years ago. Everything was in good condtion and the patina was perfect. The only con was the zipper pocket was sticky. Last year I decided to have the leather replaced. LV quoted me $600 of which I paid. This did not include the zipper. If I has the zipper replaced in the inside it wouldve been an additional $180. My specific notes were:
Replace all leather, and fix the sticky pocket. DO NOT replace the zipper if cannot be fixed. Needless to say they replaced the zipper free of charge because they had to take the full bag apart.

What Ive learned about repairs with LV is its all about the way you explain the repair. A tip I got from a Youtuber. I knew LV would replace the zipper for free because they had to take the bag apart. Also they take pride in their work and will not half @ss it. The inside was completely replaced for free. LV SA will contact you and ask if its okay to proceed and will let you know additional they will do as a comp.

I am attaching my before and after on my Chantilly GM. It was so worth it.

My advice would be is to buy the bag as cheap as possible as long as the canvas is not ruined and have all vachetta replaced. Soooo worh it.

I hope this helps.

Attachments

• 2D6A1C3D-34BB-4355-B58B-A3A58AFD5C94.jpeg
    2D6A1C3D-34BB-4355-B58B-A3A58AFD5C94.jpeg
    80.4 KB · Views: 22