Changing Hair Stylists at the Same Salon

Leelee

Up On My Toes!
Jun 6, 2006
My regular hair stylist went on maternity the first of April and won't be back until mid-July.

She recommended that I go to another stylist at the same salon while she is away. The first time I went to this new person I left feeling horrible. She did a touch-up on my roots and gave me a very uninspired trim. In general, I was disappointed. I didn't feel better when I left. In fact I felt gross. My hair felt greasy and dirty and I went straight home and washed it.

Thinking it was all my imagination, and giving her the benefit of the doubt, I went for my second appt. with her yesterday. It was even worse. I had scheduled an appt. to have my roots done, highlights, a trim and a blow-dry. When it became obvious that she wasn't doing my highlights I asked her about it. She said it wasn't in the books and she didn't have time. Then she changed her mind and said she could do them, but she'd have to have an ''associate" blow-dry my hair.

I was disappointed, b/c taking care of myself and my hair is important (and expensive), but I said okay.

It turns out the "associate" was the person who sweeps the floor. It was a horrible experience. It was not at all worth the two-and-a-half hours I was there, nor the $176 bill.

So, here's my question: until my regular hair dresser returns from maternity leave, is it weird to go to someone else in the salon or should I just go to a different salon altogether?:confused1:

I have switched stylists at my salon because my regular stylist began acting "goofy" and cutting my hair very uneven and one time left the dye on my hair much too long and I had some scalp irritation for a few days. I still chat with her when I am there, but I figure if I'm paying MY money, I want MY hair to look the way I want it to.

Also-have you tried discussing with manager/owner and get his/her feedback? I'm not suggesting ratting on the fill-in, but ask her who she would go to.

I would just go to someone else in another salon. But talk to the owner or manager of your salon first. If he/she doensn't offer any solutions for you, then definitely bolt. Sometimes the people at the same salon are very tight and they support each other rather than doing what's best for the customer. If that's the case, go somewhere else until your stylist comes back.

coming from a hair stylist .. i think you should switch stylists. i would never be offended if one of my clients felt like a change and wanted to change stylists. [ of course .. i might think hmmm? what did i do wrong .. especially if it's one of my clients ive been doing for years! ] .. but i'd be happy that they wanted to stay in the salon and felt comfortable enough to do that.

so i say .. try another stylist. if it's a salon you're comfortable with then why not. like mentioned earlier in this post .. it is your money and it is yours to spend the way u want .. then that's your right :]

Switch, this is your hair and your money my dear. This is not a game of feelings, you get what you need from whoever can do it efficiently and effectively with price at mind. Good luck!

If there is someone else there that you feel comfortable going to, I would switch...I would also call and make an appointment tomorrow for a touch-up and make sure you DON'T have to pay for it! Good luck!!

Thanks everyone for your advice. It seems that staying at the same salon and changing stylists is an okay thing to do, so I went ahead and made an appt. with someone else for June 16 (it's a busy place and they fill up quickly).

I am immensely relieved I have made my decision. My hair, is well, important!;)