Workplace Changing Departments?

xanderbsb

O.G.
Feb 22, 2007
Less than a month ago I got hired as a call center rep at a company. Today as I was browsing Craigslist, I saw that the company just put an ad up for available positions in other departments I'd rather work in.

Now I'm torn between applying for the other positions or staying at the current position I'm in.

What would you do if you were in my situation? Would you go ahead and apply for the new open positions and change departments or stay put?

If you know that you would absolutely prefer the other department, and you don't think it would look bad to apply for the position or would impact your position now, then absolutely put in for it. If you don't try, you won't know what could happen :smile:

Thanks everyone for your advice!

I talked to HR today and she told me to talk to my supervisor about it. I told my supervisor about my interest in the other department. She told me that the pay would be slightly less than what I make now and that the position would be most likely seasonal/temporary. She did walk me over to the person who would do the hiring who I've met before and he actually did some training with me when I first started. He said he was looking for 3 people!

Now I'm even more torn about what to do. The pay I have now is okay and I like the opportunity to become permanent but the job is so stressful. I deal with difficult customer's almost everyday.

However if I change to the other department it is less stressful since I wouldn't have to deal with angry customers and I would be involved more with the production of content.