Changing birth control pills to "save" eggs?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I met a girl friday nite who told me that she is 33 and at her last dr appt., her dr told her that if she's pregnant by the time she is 35,(she's single right now) he suggests that she should switch to Seasonale birth control pills - or one of those pills that makes you have like 1 period/year becuase on those types of pills she will have less periods, which will "save" her eggs. I have never heard of such a thing, anyone else?

2. Every period you have is technically the loss of an egg that wasn't fertilized, especially since we naturally ovulate once a month. It makes sense that a birth control pill could stop periods and therefore help you conserve your eggs if you're not ovulating. You'd have one heck of a monster period once a year, though.

3. Well, I did think that in theory, the idea makes sense, I just had never heard of it?

4. But you don't ovulate on the pill no matter what pill you take. That makes no sense unless I am missing something.

5. For several years...even before there were pills specially for it...I piggy backed my pills, so I only had 4 periods a year. I had a great OB/GYN who taught me how and said there was no medical reason not to do that.

You only ovulate when you have a period...the break in the hormones tells your body to send the egg. The periods were only a tad heavier than normal.

LOL...don't know if that's why I have a baby at 41 ;)

6. Most birth control pills are combination pills which means no eggs are released, but the mini pill can let you still ovulate since it's progesterone only - it works by thickening the cervical mucus (not allowing sperm to enter uterus) and by affecting the lining of the uterus (making it hostile for implantation), but yes, ovulation 'can' still happen with the mini pill, but shouldn't happen ever with the regular BCP.

7. oops! I just re-read my post and it should read:
    "her dr told her that if she's NOT pregnant by the time she is 35...."

8. A woman would technically never run out of eggs. We're born with one to two million and by the time we reach child bearing age, are left with around 400,000. A couple thousand follicles are lost every month, which leaves one lucky follicle to become a viable egg. Let's say a woman is fertile for 35 years of her life and releases one egg a month. That's still only 420 eggs and maybe 140,000 follicles lost until menopause...plenty of follicles left to go around. And I always thought that the hormones in BC tricked your body into thinking it's pregnant, so you would not release an egg anyway. The bleeding during the placebo week is not a true period, but withdrawl bleeding from stopping the hormones abruptly.

9. I have a questions. Are we born with all our eggs or are they made. I asks this because I wonder how many I have. I had my period since I was 12, does this mean I will go into menopause earlier?

10. The regular birth control pills are designed to "trick" the body into thinking it is pregnant, so a woman generally does not ovulate on the pill. An egg is released mid-cycle, NOT during a period, but the woman on BCP doesn't ovulate (at least it is very rare).

Additionally, fertility is not determined by how many eggs a woman has; it is by the quality of those eggs. When a woman reaches the age when her body begins to become premenopausal, she will experience changes that make it more difficult to become pregnant regardless of how many eggs she has released in her lifetime or how many eggs she has left.

Unless something has significantly changed in either human biology or in pill technology, the dr. who thinks changing pills can preserve or reserve eggs for later in life is just plain incorrect.

11. This is an interesting topic. I also think it is interesting to note and this is a little off topic and has no real significance to the original post but women who are considered overweight/obese sometimes will not respond to the pill and actually will ovulate. It is like the same concept as bigger people being able to tolerate more anesthesia or alcohol, the dosage of most of these BCP which is low dose does not affect many women in this category !

12. I think you're born with all your eggs. I wonder about the going into menopause early too, I started my periods when I was 10!

13. You're born with all your eggs, you can't make anymore. Menopause depends on the hormone levels in your body and like I said before, you probably won't run out of eggs before you run out of natural hormones.

14. I don't get it, and would actually think of switching doctors since it seems kind of ill-informed to me. As other posters have said, if she's on a combo pill, she isn't ovulating anyway, regardless which one it is. Even if she were, the problem isn't usually running out of eggs, it's about how viable those eggs are. If her doctor were proposing ovarian ultrasounds or something, maybe, but just randomly based on which pill she's on now, not so much.

15. ^^^ ITA, either she was confused or she needs a new doctor.