Chanel’s Rise & STALL: Defects, Difficulties & Deflection (formerly the 19 tote saga thread)

Estee Lauder is in talks to acquire the luxury brand Tom Ford in the arena of 3billion & upwards

Just checking to see if this info is correct?
Marzotto Group still owns Valentino
NEO Investment Partners having an interest in Valextra
I saw that about EL buying out TF. They previously had purchased his cosmetics co, I don't know how many years back? I guess it would make sense to buy the rest. HOWEVER, what a very odd thing for a huge cosmetics conglomerate to own a luxury fashion house? I wonder if that might mean they are on the hunt to acquire other non-cosmetic industry namesakes?

EDIT: it appears EL has always owned the licenses to TF beauty and was a partnership. This would be a full buyout of everything TF.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bagatha Christie
Estee Lauder is in talks to acquire the luxury brand Tom Ford in the arena of 3billion & upwards

Just asking the question
Is Valentino still part of the Marzotto Group as well as
Yes, last I know, Neo Partners still own the majority of Valextra alongside the Carminati family. Neo has a portfolio of luxury/consumer holdings I believe, including Victoria Beckham, plus premium confectionary like Laduree.

I saw that about EL buying out TF. They previously had purchased his cosmetics co, I don't know how many years back? I guess it would make sense to buy the rest. HOWEVER, what a very odd thing for a huge cosmetics conglomerate to own a luxury fashion house? I wonder if that might mean they are on the hunt to acquire other non-cosmetic industry namesakes?

EDIT: it appears EL has always owned the licenses to TF beauty and was a partnership. This would be a full buyout of everything TF.

Lauder family has tremendous resources. No reason for them not to get into non-cosmetic industry namesakes
& to acquire TF would be a great start

There are still many important established designers as well as new designers here in the US for Lauder to back/own
It would be nice to see this in the future

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Nerja and TraceySH
Lauder family has tremendous resources. No reason for them not to get into non-cosmetic industry namesakes
& to acquire TF would be a great start

There are still many important established designers as well as new designers here in the US for Lauder to back/own
It would be nice to see this in the future
Agree completely. That would be something very fun to watch evolve.

Something to add to chanel no 5 rose field; they play piano notes to roses.
“Because his farm is organic, they refuse to just blast it with fertilizer. Instead, they’ve come up with a different, two-pronged approach. First, they allow nature to do its job by maintaining grass to attract aphids, an insect that ladybugs and others feed off of, which keeps the ecosystem’s balance, hence helping with the fungus. And second, they introduced something a bit more experimental: They play piano notes to the roses. “We perceive it as music, but plants perceive it as frequency,” said Mul. According to him, they’ve observed a positive effect on the roses, boosting their immune system and allowing them to ward off the fungus better. They’ve been trying this method for a year and plan on testing it for the next two years to notice”
Full article…
https://www.thecut.com/2022/08/the-future-smells-like-chanel-no-5.html

I just purchased a Fendi Peekaboo. I do not know why the Fendi forum is not bumping. The leather is amazing and the bags are beautiful! I guess the brand doesn't have SM clout?
I feel Fendi is on fire! I will always love Chanel and the styles work for me. I am just surprised at the Fendi leathers and how lovely it is and how much bag for the price. I am going to a Fendi event and I will ask about the composition of leathers. I really hope there is no drama on Fendi leathers! @TracySH , so you know anything?
I love my Fendi Peekaboo bags! They are one of my go to bags for work. Love the ones with the phyton handles. I agree about the leather. Another one that I know is old school and outdated for many, but for me it works perfect for my work items - the Celine luggage!

Edit to add that I’m def on the fence about the latest Chanel bags and even RTW. I’m sure I will be buying again soon. For now I’m not seeing anything that really catches my attention. I’m into purple lately so I thought about the purple CF. Just a color that I didn’t care for many years lol and somehow lately it’s catching my attention.

Something to add to chanel no 5 rose field; they play piano notes to roses.
“Because his farm is organic, they refuse to just blast it with fertilizer. Instead, they’ve come up with a different, two-pronged approach. First, they allow nature to do its job by maintaining grass to attract aphids, an insect that ladybugs and others feed off of, which keeps the ecosystem’s balance, hence helping with the fungus. And second, they introduced something a bit more experimental: They play piano notes to the roses. “We perceive it as music, but plants perceive it as frequency,” said Mul. According to him, they’ve observed a positive effect on the roses, boosting their immune system and allowing them to ward off the fungus better. They’ve been trying this method for a year and plan on testing it for the next two years to notice”
Full article…
https://www.thecut.com/2022/08/the-future-smells-like-chanel-no-5.html
I wish I could say any of this is true, but commercial perfumes do not use natural floral absolutes. Chanel no 5 was one of the first perfumes years ago to use synthetics, but not THE first. Anything labeled "fragrance" automatically means synthetics. Ever sneeze or see someone sneeze when they spray a perfume? Or those people with allergies to fragrances? A big reason is that our brain doesn't know how to process synthetic chemicals in commercial perfumes.

There are many many many derivatives that clone the exact scent of musk, rose, jasmine, etc. Have you ever smelled real tuberose? It smells like pungent dirt. Or lily? Guess what? Lillies don't smell. It's all synthetic, aldehydes, indoles.

Natural molecules, especially in floral absolutes, are VERY unstable. When mixed with anything else. they break apart and re-bind to other molecules. So say you mix rose absolute and jasmine grandiflorum together, you'd think logically, this will smell like rose and jasmine? NOPE! It will smell like something totally different that smells like NEITHER rose nor jasmine. The molecules break apart, re-bind, and become something else altogether.

The reason commercial fragrance companies use synthetics, other than the fact that real floral absolutes don't last very long, spoil in light, cannot withstand temperature variations etc, is so that when the blend a jasmine-like fragrance oil with a rose-like fragrance oil, the molecules remain intact. So, it smells like ROSE and JASMINE.

The quality of the synthetics vary greatly, for sure. But they are not using actual roses. Companies can even label something "natural" or "organic" but that STILL doesn't mean it's rose absolute oil. It can be a natural derivative like linalool, geraniol or citranellol, which come from other types of plants.

This is pretty OT, but I wanted to post since I have about 600 essential oils/ absolutes in my lab at home & have been making my own perfumes and skincare for almost a decade, sourcing the wildest most rare and intoxicating stuff from all over the world. It's an excellent hobby! But there is a lot there in terms of what the public thinks is natural and what is really going on....There's a lot more here, actually a ton more, regarding cosmetics etc but I can leave that for another day and another thread.

Here are the ingredients dissected by a master perfumer of No. 5...

9B20EDFD-6549-45AB-8CD5-489748D26AF0.png

I wish I could say any of this is true, but commercial perfumes do not use natural floral absolutes. Chanel no 5 was one of the first perfumes years ago to use synthetics, but not THE first. Anything labeled "fragrance" automatically means synthetics. Ever sneeze or see someone sneeze when they spray a perfume? Or those people with allergies to fragrances? A big reason is that our brain doesn't know how to process synthetic chemicals in commercial perfumes.

There are many many many derivatives that clone the exact scent of musk, rose, jasmine, etc. Have you ever smelled real tuberose? It smells like pungent dirt. Or lily? Guess what? Lillies don't smell. It's all synthetic, aldehydes, indoles.

Natural molecules, especially in floral absolutes, are VERY unstable. When mixed with anything else. they break apart and re-bind to other molecules. So say you mix rose absolute and jasmine grandiflorum together, you'd think logically, this will smell like rose and jasmine? NOPE! It will smell like something totally different that smells like NEITHER rose nor jasmine. The molecules break apart, re-bind, and become something else altogether.

The reason commercial fragrance companies use synthetics, other than the fact that real floral absolutes don't last very long, spoil in light, cannot withstand temperature variations etc, is so that when the blend a jasmine-like fragrance oil with a rose-like fragrance oil, the molecules remain intact. So, it smells like ROSE and JASMINE.

The quality of the synthetics vary greatly, for sure. But they are not using actual roses. Companies can even label something "natural" or "organic" but that STILL doesn't mean it's rose absolute oil. It can be a natural derivative like linalool, geraniol or citranellol, which come from other types of plants.

This is pretty OT, but I wanted to post since I have about 600 essential oils/ absolutes in my lab at home & have been making my own perfumes and skincare for almost a decade, sourcing the wildest most rare and intoxicating stuff from all over the world. It's an excellent hobby! But there is a lot there in terms of what the public thinks is natural and what is really going on....There's a lot more here, actually a ton more, regarding cosmetics etc but I can leave that for another day and another thread.

Here are the ingredients dissected by a master perfumer of No. 5...

View attachment 5583976
I’m confused by the bolded since I’ve encountered plenty of fragrant lilies
- ones in my garden can be smelled from feet away. Not disagreeing at all about the use of synthetics though.

I’m confused by the bolded since I’ve encountered plenty of fragrant lilies
- ones in my garden can be smelled from feet away. Not disagreeing at all about the use of synthetics though.
They are mute flowers. They smell but cannot produce aromatic materials.

Many of the flowers out there can have the most wonderful aroma in the natural state, but cannot be harvested to use elsewhere.

Gardenia is an example of one that is nearly impossible to extract any aroma from. One of the best ways, believe it or not, is to extract it in fat...and even then, depending on the extraction (cannot use heat), the aroma never duplicates the smell you experience IRL.

Just asking the question
Is Valentino still part of the Marzotto Group as well as

Estée Lauder already own Tom Ford Beauty, the most profitable part of 'Tom Ford'.

that Chanel was prepping itself for sale, until the pandemic hit then they registered record numbers.
I thought chanel released limited financial numbers in 2018, reported in The NYT, and people then thought they were positioning the brand to be purchased. I thought even back then they demonstrated that they were incredibly profitable

@TraceySH , I thought Guerlain was the first, famously, to use synthetic vanillin

Last edited:
Estée Lauder already own Tom Ford Beauty, the most profitable part of 'Tom Ford'.
To be clear, @papertiger, Estee Lauder is in talks to acquire a move that marks the beauty
company's first foray into luxury fashion. The global cosmetics company already owns the
license to Tom Ford beauty , fragrance& the make up line developed in partnership with the
group & launched in 2011.

Last edited:
I thought chanel released limited financial numbers in 2018, reported in The NYT, and people then thought they were positioning the brand to be purchased. I thought even back then they demonstrated that they were incredibly profitable

@TraceySH , I thought Guerlain was the first, famously, to use synthetic vanillin

Legend has it that Jacques Guerlain would have poured a few drops of synthetic vanillin into the perfume
JICKY & just to try it out& ended creating SHALIMAR
As many of us know, Shalimar was created in honor of Shah Jahan's late wife.

To be clear, @papertiger, Estee Lauder is in talks to acquire a move that marks the beauty
company's first foray into luxury fashion. The global cosmetics company already owns the
license to Tom Ford beauty , fragrance& the make up line developed in partnership with the
group & launched in 2011.
I am aware of that.
I am aware of that

The current owners of Chanel also started in beauty and fragrance.

Back to the topic of this thread - perhaps?

Yes I said above one of the first but not THE first?

Reactions: 880