**** Chanel

I took a long hiatus of years from chanel when my first chanel SA left and I discovered Hermes. Chanel has always had my profile. I started shopping 57th street in 2001 (back then, maybe one or two RTW pieces a season). When I bought an so black mini bag post Covid shelter in place, they still had my old address on file. And, there are at least two SAs that I remember from when I started. As per both my current chanel and Hermes SAs, the French luxury brands prioritize in store clients, especially those that buy more than bags or shoes. I believe that both brands did increasingly ship to known clients during Covid. I believe RTW has always been shipped. But, I understand why they would prefer not to ship bags and accessories that may be damaged, worn, or returned. especially bc prospective clients examine every microscopic flaw.

Also agree with @methvespertine , that there is a certain type of high maintenance client that European fashion houses or leather brands do not want. Even though parts of the world are experiencing recession, these premier brands are still selling enormous amounts to China and business is booming. So i foresee that top clients will get the best service, and the rest of us will have to make do as best we can. In a recent article in FT, an article that stated chanel was to remain private (not looking for an IPO) stated that the top 2% of chanel clients make up 40% of luxury sales. Given the focus on the top tier; and the growth of the bottom (cosmetics and aspirati9nal merchandise), even a regular accessories client or occasional RTW shopper may be squeezed out.

Last edited:
Having been a big online shopper of luxury I was also very shocked by how hard Chanel makes things for long distance shopping.

But it was a friend that works at Prada that reminded me that the boutique experience is included in the price (I was talking to him about how frustrated I was to not being able to return a Bottega Veneta boot to net a porter... The same would not have happened had I gone to a boutique, I but damn, they hardly ever have my size!)

But I gotta say I see their point now, with Chanem. These pieces are so enormously expensive, that you really should make an occasion of it. From a branding perspective, it makes complete sense to want to retain control of that part of the experience, and financially, as other have said, it would be a nightmare to routinely post thousands and thousands of dollars daily.

The fact their SA are so much nicer than I ever experience in other luxury brands already makes up for it in my opinion.

I live in London but I have a lovely SA in NYC and I manage to buy from her and she holds the items for the next time I'm in town. I hope you can arrange something like that, and know that part of the price you paid is for that boutique experience for when you pick up the item.

Reactions: SweetPKN
Is this new? Never shopped in person. Vancouver shipped to me last year here in ontario

I haven’t experienced it either, half of my purchases were shipped to me last year; no purchase limit and had zero issues with them agreeing to ship.

I think Chanel boutiques (including the leased locations at NM for example) will only ship non-Classic flaps within USA. Not familiar with other countries.

Whether is was thirty years ago or 30 days ago, everyone who has ever bought from Chanel made a purchase despite having no prior history. Also, if you walk into the boutique as an employee is unlocking the door or 5 minutes prior to closing, it should not matter. You arrived during business hours and you should be treated with courtesy. All an employee has to do go to give a hint, is lock the door at closing, not give attitude. There is no need to be rude to a customer.

Reactions: baghabitz34
Whether is was thirty years ago or 30 days ago, everyone who has ever bought from Chanel made a purchase despite having no prior history. Also, if you walk into the boutique as an employee is unlocking the door or 5 minutes prior to closing, it should not matter. You arrived during business hours and you should be treated with courtesy. All an employee has to do go to give a hint, is lock the door at closing, not give attitude. There is no need to be rude to a customer.

I guess it's a matter of local customs. :smile: To me, it is rude to walk in a business which is about to close and expecting people to take their personal time so they can serve you as long as you wish. They shouldn't have to try to make customers understand they are not the center of this planet. It's inconsiderate not coming at a better time for such unnecessary shopping session. Of course, employee shouldn't be rude to customers. But if your behavior isn't like the local citizen and is consider impolite, it does seems normal if they don't act the way you thought they should. Also, I've seen more customers being rude to employees than the other way around. Or expecting a special treatment without being considerate themselves.

I guess it's a matter of local customs. :smile: To me, it is rude to walk in a business which is about to close and expecting people to take their personal time so they can serve you as long as you wish. They shouldn't have to try to make customers understand they are not the center of this planet. It's inconsiderate not coming at a better time for such unnecessary shopping session. Of course, employee shouldn't be rude to customers. But if your behavior isn't like the local citizen and is consider impolite, it does seems normal if they don't act the way you thought they should. Also, I've seen more customers being rude to employees than the other way around. Or expecting a special treatment without being considerate themselves.
Well, you should have told that to the customers we had at a local gift shop where I worked for a summer job. It happens at every store. Customers are either unaware of a stores closing time, especially since they are not the same every day, or they are aware and had to rush from their own jobs to get there prior to closing time. I’ve been on both sides, as an employee and as a customer.

Well, you should have told that to the customers we had at a local gift shop where I worked for a summer job. It happens at every store. Customers are either unaware of a stores closing time, especially since they are not the same every day, or they are aware and had to rush from their own jobs to get there prior to closing time. I’ve been on both sides, as an employee and as a customer.
Same. I own several stores, in very different business sector (from high jewellery boutique to restaurants so the customers are very diverse) and I worked in each of them. I experienced and I heard from my employees that most of the time, when someone doesn't want to respect the schedul written on the door and on the internet, it's often tourists who don't realised they won't have the same high level of efficiency if they are coming in the store very late. Or people who doesn't care at all about the well being of the staff and feel they are allowed to be rude to employees if they explain they won't even be able to serve them properly (legal end of shift being very controlled).

Now, I do understand that some shops have to be more permissive. But let's be honest, if you are wealthy enough to buy anything at a Chanel store, you can manage to do so in a respectable hour so you don't annoy everyone in the boutique, not one minute before closing. It's not like rushing to a grocery store or getting your medecine last minute. So I kind of get it when an employee looks annoyed when they hit the 100th unconsiderate customers. They are also humans with needs. If you forced them to do over-time everyday, they will just leave the company because they will prioritize their freetime. It's a very european way of thinking life compare to what I could see in the US or in Asia.

Same. I own several stores, in very different business sector (from high jewellery boutique to restaurants so the customers are very diverse) and I worked in each of them. I experienced and I heard from my employees that most of the time, when someone doesn't want to respect the schedul written on the door and on the internet, it's often tourists who don't realised they won't have the same high level of efficiency if they are coming in the store very late. Or people who doesn't care at all about the well being of the staff and feel they are allowed to be rude to employees if they explain they won't even be able to serve them properly (legal end of shift being very controlled).

Now, I do understand that some shops have to be more permissive. But let's be honest, if you are wealthy enough to buy anything at a Chanel store, you can manage to do so in a respectable hour so you don't annoy everyone in the boutique, not one minute before closing. It's not like rushing to a grocery store or getting your medecine last minute. So I kind of get it when an employee looks annoyed when they hit the 100th unconsiderate customers. They are also humans with needs. If you forced them to do over-time everyday, they will just leave the company because they will prioritize their freetime. It's a very european way of thinking life compare to what I could see in the US or in Asia.
Sorry, I wouldn’t know that as I would be considered an “aspirational” shopper. Count me in the beauty and SLGs buying range for Chanel.

I think there is saying which goes, Americans live to work and Europeans work to live. Your assessment corresponds to the mindset of your employees.

Sorry, I wouldn’t know that as I would be considered an “aspirational” shopper. Count me in the beauty and SLGs buying range for Chanel.

I think there is saying which goes, Americans live to work and Europeans work to live. Your assessment corresponds to the mindset of your employees.
Oh I wasn't speaking about you specificly but in a more general way. The Chanel boutique I usually goes to only have perfume in the cosmetic department, it's more RTW and bags (and very few SLG). The clientele is not really diverse and people who doesn't know how that boutique works are often dissappointed (such as tourists or new customers).

Exactly ! I tried to remember that exact sentences and you did :smile: ! This is the mindset. :smile:

Reactions: peachylv
Oh I wasn't speaking about you specificly but in a more general way. The Chanel boutique I usually goes to only have perfume in the cosmetic department, it's more RTW and bags (and very few SLG). The clientele is not really diverse and people who doesn't know how that boutique works are often dissappointed (such as tourists or new customers).

Exactly ! I tried to remember that exact sentences and you did :smile: ! This is the mindset. :smile:

I always smile and greet the staff. That’s always worked for me. I don’t think everyone does that though.

Chanel changed rules a few times last year regarding their shipping policy, I think now they don’t ship classics, and they won’t ship to you if you are a first time client. The 2 year time limit on profiles is a new thing to me, haven’t heard that elsewhere. Were you trying to buy a classic?

I totally get it that it’s frustrating for you since you don’t have a local store and Chanel won’t ship to you. Perhaps visit a boutique the next time you take vacation in a locale that has them and make your purchase there?