Chanel VS Hermès

2 different brands, 2 different looks and vibes ==>can't compare!! You can't find an equivalent bag from Hermes to compare with a classic flap :no:. I am not sure how people can compare these 2 brands :whut:. I love Chanel bags and if I can't buy them in store, I will buy preloved. I don't ever see myself wear a Birkin or Kelly, not an aesthetic that will suit my lifestyle....a Constance maybe:yahoo: or a mini Kelly :giggle::giggle::giggle: but I will have to wait until kidneys go up on the black market to be able to afford those bags :graucho::graucho:

Chanel price increases were far steeper and more frequent. KL saw many of his bags as seasonal accessories to RTW. I’m one of a minority opinion on TPF that loves lambskin and doesn’t see the dimunition in quality of the chanel bags I choose to purchase. Hermes always positioned their bags as long lasting heritage pieces. There is plenty of room in a collection for both chanel and Hermes.

Especially if you like chanel boucle RTW, a chain strap shoulder or crossbody causes more friction on RTW than a handheld Hermes bag. I prefer not to wear head to toe and designer, so I like to mix it up for that reason too.

Popular models in both brands hold their value at resale better than the vast majority of the collections of either brand, but I always advise clients to purchase only what they love and to get the value back via cost per wear.

note: my bag collection, is primarily hermes, from 2008 onward), with a preference towards B30/K28 (though I also have larger and smaller sizes). I’ve owned my first chanel bags since around 1991 and I have been a RTW client since 2001. So I’ve witnessed the changes in prices firsthand :smile:

Last edited:
I don’t think Chanel enthusiast will say “oh now that C price point is almost same as H, let’s go buy a Birkin next”. (Anyway we know there’s a Hermes game to play before you’re offered a B/K. So that, I don’t think both brands are in the same pool, “investment” wise).

But who knows what Chanel will come out with in the future.

Jumbos may be retailing at above 11k USD but their resale value has plummeted.
And this I noticed just today too. I haven’t been really into bags past 2 yrs but due to the price increase here in my country, it stirred my curiosity and was checking out the preloved market. The medium flap price has since gone up but definitely not the jumbo, compared to 2yrs ago.

I have both Chanel and Hermes and I enjoy them both in different ways. Hermes is more casual/elegant and Chanel more flashy/casual (flashy due to CCs on most bags but can be elegant, depending on a color and a style). Both brands are very different from each other, have their own charm, and appeal to a divergent audience. To each their own.

This is also an unfair question as it is posted under Chanel. Additionally, Hermes bags are harder to get for most buyers than Chanel.

Last edited:
And this I noticed just today too. I haven’t been really into bags past 2 yrs but due to the price increase here in my country, it stirred my curiosity and was checking out the preloved market. The medium flap price has since gone up but definitely not the jumbo, compared to 2yrs ago.
you could say the same about the birkin 35. small bags are just more in demand but since fashion is cyclical big bags will come back.

i have both Chanel and Hermes
They are very different style and I dont compare them with each other. I enjoy both as they give off different vibes.

I did try to migrate completely to H when I started the H journey many years ago, and I have sold off some Chanel bags at the time to "fund the birkins" but then it turns out that I had to buy back some of the chanel classics at a higher price. So I definitely wont be doing that as I feel these two different brands can co-exist in my wardrobe

Also Chanel RTW is always on trend and is second to none ;)
H RTW doesnt appeal to me

did try to migrate completely to H when I started the H journey many years ago, and I have sold off some Chanel bags at the time to "fund the birkins" but then it turns out that I had to buy back some of the chanel classics at a higher price. So I definitely wont be doing that as I feel these two different brands can co-exist in my wardrobe
Sadly for my wallet, I can totally relate to this lol :doh::smile:

I think we can all agree Chanel and Hermes are completely different in terms of aesthetics.

I really really really tried to get into H RTW. But I ended up looking so old in the clothes. Chanel RTW is much more my style.

Also H bags are impossible to collect unless you're incredibly rich and can do the 20-50k prespend for a bag. Let me repeat "A" as in ONE bag. A few do get lucky with little to no prespend, but I think I speak for the majority when we do need quite a prespend to be able to be offered a quota bag. Or go the secondary market, and get exactly what you want. But the markup is incredibly high.

H works where you need to stick with ONE store & ONE SA & they get ONE black with gold hardware kelly 25 sellier in every let's say 2-6 months. ONE. And who does that go to? Based on Manager's approval, most likely the one who contributed most to the store's sales.

Chanel on the other hand, there are many stores and you don't need to stick with ONE store. So you have many opportunities to snag a bag you really want from a different boutique. Plus, they usually do not look at prespend to get approval to get offered a bag. Much easier.

I really think we need to stop comparing H and Chanel. Both are completely different styles and ways to buy bags.

Last edited: