chanel virgin approaching a bday-- help please!

Meifa

you came to me
Mar 12, 2006
Never purchased a Chanel handbag before. I'm pretty exclusive to LV, but I'm so tempted by the legendary luxeness (that isn't a word, but pretend it is) of Chanel bags... And, as my birthday is coming up, I'm thinking of taking the plunge with a first purchase.

I'm looking for something on the larger scale-- tote or Cabas style. Something I can carry over the shoulder. I'm generally opposed to hobos. Prefer leather to vinyl. For reference, my current fave bag is an LV Chelsea, which is hugeeee.

I went for a quick look tonight at my local NM and Saks armed with some knowledge gleaned from PF... From what I saw, my favorite so far is a black/silver chain GST. I like the look of the black cerf, but the drop is just too short and I do not have an overly skinny arm. I need a strap at least as long as what's on the GST to carry the bag over my shoulder.

At the same time, I don't want to be limited to the stock at my local dept. stores... You ladies possess a massive amount of Chanel bag knowledge! Any styles or recs that come to mind that might fit my bill?

Thanks in advance! :wlae:

Hi and welcome to the world of Coco!!! by your description of your wants and needs, i would say that the black GST is PERFECT for you...........so many of us own it and adore it. Its classic, yet not "conservative/stuffy", beautiful, timeless, functional, goes with everything, and very durable in the caviar leather. Its a great way to start your collection. Also the big Cambon tote, which also has silver h/w, and is a vintagey distressed leather...and has the CC on the side in the same color as the bag. Comes in black of course, as well as a few other colors. I bought mine in Feb. or Mar. for $1995 - do not think price has increased. but, all in all, i think the GST is calling your name............:yes:

PS Oh! i forgot about the stunning Expandable Flap......................you should search for pics in this forum, it is TDF....its a perfect Chanel bag..........comes in black, chocolate brown, winter white...........and tan
and happy birthday!

The GST just isn't comfy to me b/c it slips off my shoulder, so I will never be able own one :sad: Given that fact, I vote for a jumbo classic for your first. I never thought I would be into the classic flap, but it has become my fav! I def recommend 'trying' on the style even if you have to call around to get your perfect match. Good luck and can't wait to see what you decide on!