Chanel Vintage Single Flap?

Apr 22, 2018
I saw this really good condition vintage black Chanel single flap in lamb skin.

Should I pull the trigger or keep searching for a good condition double flap from the pre-loved market?

Would you recommend the single flap or double flap, speaking from a practicality perspective?

Pros and cons of single flap vs. double flap?

I am not going to buy the Chanel CF brand new as I think the price increase is way too much for what it is.

Hi, depends on what you like. I like that the SF Jumbos are lightweight, spacious, and they were last made more than 10 years ago when the quality was better. I also likely that they’re not seen as much, if you found one in good condition for a good price then you should buy it if that’s what you’re looking for. But, I also like the DF because they keep their structure better but they can get really heavy when just a few things are put into the bag. Most people complain that after a few hours of carrying the DF Caviar jumbo, their shoulders start to hurt from the weight of the bag. The lambskin DF Jumbos are slightly lighter than the caviar.

I personally would never get a double flap. I love my single flap and I‘m so happy with it. The DF was just impractical, I like being able to quickly get things in and out of my bag and having two flaps always seemed too inconvenient for me personally

i really dont like DF since they get in the way and the zipper on the top flap hits the second flap every time i open it. however, it is nice for the structure. i prefer single flap better since it's way easier to look at what's inside your bag.

i dont like to be the person who's at the cash register holding up the line , i feel like the DF makes it harder to pay quickly at the registers just because you kinda have to use 2 hands to get anything inside ur bag

with the single flap, you can kinda get ur wallet with one hand

Reactions: PineappleMinnie
I love the single flap as well, but mine is a large Reissue and would be much heavier if it had two flaps! It really isn't intended to have the structure of the Classic, so I don't care that it is single flap. Very, very easy to access what you need with only one compartment.

I also have a small Classic flap, which is a double flap (as they are) and it is a very lightweight bag. I do see how the double flap gives extra structure, for sure. It is more "boxy" than my Reissue. I actually like having one double-flap bag. So I guess size/weight is something to consider.

Hi, depends on what you like. I like that the SF Jumbos are lightweight, spacious, and they were last made more than 10 years ago when the quality was better. I also likely that they’re not seen as much, if you found one in good condition for a good price then you should buy it if that’s what you’re looking for. But, I also like the DF because they keep their structure better but they can get really heavy when just a few things are put into the bag. Most people complain that after a few hours of carrying the DF Caviar jumbo, their shoulders start to hurt from the weight of the bag. The lambskin DF Jumbos are slightly lighter than the caviar.

Sounds like I should go with the single flap :biggrin:. It’s really helpful to know that the double flap could get heavy with lots of stuff inside. Didn’t know lamb skin is lighter than caviar. If a bag is heavy, it’s a no-go for me.

I personally would never get a double flap. I love my single flap and I‘m so happy with it. The DF was just impractical, I like being able to quickly get things in and out of my bag and having two flaps always seemed too inconvenient for me personally

Yes, I agree with you - I like to have quick access to my bags too. Double flap isn’t very practical. I guess they don’t make the single flap anymore?

Reactions: julia.pa
i really dont like DF since they get in the way and the zipper on the top flap hits the second flap every time i open it. however, it is nice for the structure. i prefer single flap better since it's way easier to look at what's inside your bag.

i dont like to be the person who's at the cash register holding up the line , i feel like the DF makes it harder to pay quickly at the registers just because you kinda have to use 2 hands to get anything inside ur bag

with the single flap, you can kinda get ur wallet with one hand

More reasons for me to get the vintage single flap :biggrin:. Omg, my bank account doesn’t like this! To me, practicality is everything!

Yes, the structure of the bag is important as it affects its appearance. So I was glad that I saw this good condition single flap and am debating whether to spend the money or not.

I love the single flap as well, but mine is a large Reissue and would be much heavier if it had two flaps! It really isn't intended to have the structure of the Classic, so I don't care that it is single flap. Very, very easy to access what you need with only one compartment.

I also have a small Classic flap, which is a double flap (as they are) and it is a very lightweight bag. I do see how the double flap gives extra structure, for sure. It is more "boxy" than my Reissue. I actually like having one double-flap bag. So I guess size/weight is something to consider.

How’s your reissue holding up in terms of structure? I saw this really nice vintage black single flap jumbo in lamb skin. It’s so tempting to spend the money :yucky:.

Sounds like I should go with the single flap :biggrin:. It’s really helpful to know that the double flap could get heavy with lots of stuff inside. Didn’t know lamb skin is lighter than caviar. If a bag is heavy, it’s a no-go for me.
Yeah an empty Caviar DF is already 3 pounds. When I put my wallet and cellphone in my bag, it already starts getting heavy.

Lambskin single flaps are quite pliant and swishy. They can lose shape fairly quickly depending on use. For that reason, I prefer caviar for single flaps. But vintage lambskin is so buttery and luxurious. If the deal is too good to pass up, then you should do it (especially if there’s a return window).