Chanel timeless classic tote or m/l classic flap?

Seanewz

Dec 3, 2019
Hi everyone! I'm trying to decide between two bags and would love your input! Options: Black caviar Chanel timeless classic tote in GHW (https://www.therealreal.com/product...chanel-timeless-classic-tote-7ky8o?position=2) or Beige Clair caviar m/l classic flap in GHW. Two very different bags but here's my thinking and why I'm conflicted:

Chanel tote
Pros
- Functional, would use a lot for work (whenever we go back...next year?). I'd carry my laptop in it.
- Black caviar should last a long time and stay looking good!
Cons
- Is it worth it to pay $4K for a tote?! There are so many nice totes for much cheaper. Not sure if it's worth it for a tote bag. My current work tote is a Damier Ebene LV tote w/ zipper which is awesome. You can easily reverse this though and say that it's worth it if you look at it from a cost per wear perspective...
- Does the resale value hold? It seems to but not sure if this is just a short-term vs. long-term thing.
- Will I still love it in 5 yrs a/f wearing it to death?

Beige Clair m/l
Pros
- I have this sense of urgency to buy now b/c prices get even higher and I def won't be able to afford it
- It's a gorgeous stunning bag that would last forever and match with everything
Cons
- m/l is my favorite size though I tend to wear these bags mainly in the evenings or for going out..i.e. not worn a ton. Is the price worth it?
- Other contributing factor to less wear is the restrictive strap length...only shoulder bag as I'm tall. I'm more of a crossbody person so this takes some getting used to.
- I already have two other Chanel bags that have the pretty much the same look (m/l black caviar in GHW, mini square black caviar in SHW)...time to diversify?

Help!

from your explanation, i would say skip both.

you're right about the cost per wear for the tote. i would say lv canvas totes are better value for money, fuss-free, and lightweight.
Haha, you're wise to pick up on this right away b/c it is also another legit option that I'm considering given that I have two Chanels that already look so similar. Pay off your debt and chill out for now. I just need to get over this fear of "if you don't buy the classic flap now, you won't be able to afford it in the future b/c of the constant price increases"...

The LV tote is amazing...you're right, hard to beat.

Haha, you're wise to pick up on this right away b/c it is also another legit option that I'm considering given that I have two Chanels that already look so similar. Pay off your debt and chill out for now. I just need to get over this fear of "if you don't buy the classic flap now, you won't be able to afford it in the future b/c of the constant price increases"...

The LV tote is amazing...you're right, hard to beat.
yknow that fear is constant. what if i dont buy this bag now.. is there gonna be another price increase? would i want this style in future? babe, let's chill. there are endless bags to buy!!

yknow that fear is constant. what if i dont buy this bag now.. is there gonna be another price increase? would i want this style in future? babe, let's chill. there are endless bags to buy!!
You're so right! Thank you SO MUCH for your response and acting as another voice of reason (my friends were saying the same thing...the universe is clearly telling me, CHILL OUT :smile:).

Reactions: Firstfullsteps
Chanel beige is TDF tho :love: I'd definitely get the m/l cf in beige clair with GHW no doubt haha. If you're thinking of getting a tote bag and don't mind pre-loved condition, the GST looks better than this timeless tote IMO. I still have my PST from 9 years ago and in great condition (I stuff my bag when storing). Good luck deciding!

Reactions: onlyk
Buy a tote from secondhand market because you will use it, no need for another M/L since you already have one, one in each classic style is enough the classic bag is too expensive to buy and just sit there and you mostly will lose money if you resell it

Chanel beige is TDF tho :love: I'd definitely get the m/l cf in beige clair with GHW no doubt haha. If you're thinking of getting a tote bag and don't mind pre-loved condition, the GST looks better than this timeless tote IMO. I still have my PST from 9 years ago and in great condition (I stuff my bag when storing). Good luck deciding!
Totally agree, GST is much more modern looking and classy than other Totes

Reactions: kylienarak