CHANEL stamp missing! Vintage

Mar 23, 2010
I have a Chanel vintage black flap bag. I'm guessing from 70's/80's as there is no sign of a serial number. It is authentic, but when I compare it to others of the same style and era it should have the CHANEL stamp just below the pen holder inside the flap. Mine does not. Does anyone know why? Did they not stamp CHANEL in the older bags?

It has Made in France on the opposite side.

Please see pic, and look forward to your comments.

Thank you:smile:

Attachments

• IMG_4687.jpg
    IMG_4687.jpg
    399.2 KB · Views: 3,295
  • P1020746.JPG
    P1020746.JPG
    177.9 KB · Views: 2,880
  • P1020754.JPG
    P1020754.JPG
    161.2 KB · Views: 2,904
Are you sure is that a real one? I think it is a fake just by looking at the lock where shows "CHANEL" and "PARIS" near the screws, the "CHANEL" should be on the left, "PARIS" is on the right, but yours is totally opposite. Correct me if I am wrong, or maybe 1970's -80' bags are bit different?

I have several Chanel bags I purchased new in the 80's and the Chanel Paris faces to the right with all of them. There were a lot of high quality knock-offs made back then before Chanel put pedal to the metal with legal action.

That said, some of my older bags have lost their holograms due to normal wear and tear but there is always a shadow of sticky where they were located.

I wish I knew how to upload pictures it keeps telling me the files are too large. Even though they are only pictures from my iPhone. The bag I have is identical to the one above.

Audreylita do you have the above 9" classic flap as shown above from the 80's?

If so, what is the lining like on the inside? Is it sewn in as it should be or can it be removed easily?

Thank you x

Are you sure is that a real one? I think it is a fake just by looking at the lock where shows "CHANEL" and "PARIS" near the screws, the "CHANEL" should be on the left, "PARIS" is on the right, but yours is totally opposite. Correct me if I am wrong, or maybe 1970's -80' bags are bit different?
Hi, I have seen other vintage bags with the Chanel & Paris on the back of the lock this way round, but I think it may be because the lock is easily removed for re-plating and could end up being put back on the other way, as it fits both ways round. But there weren't really any fakes back in those days, so no-one worried about minor differences back then. Besides, I know 100% that this bag is not a fake, as it's been in the family since new. But good observation :smile:

As far back as the mid 1980's there were 'Chanel' parties going around the Boca Raton area for well made knock off's, these all in the homes of the 'ladies who lunch' and were by strict invitation only. I saw some of the bags these gals were buying and they really were mirror images of the real thing. It was very big business down here for quite awhile and even when I left the area in the mid 90's heard these behind the scenes parties were still going on.

My mom recently passed away and had a Louis Vuitton credit card case she got either in the 60's or 70's. It took a behind the scenes LV craftsperson to say that the case was a knock off. The sales staff on the LV floor all thought it was the real deal.

Knock offs have been around before many of you were born so don't think that because something is from the 80's or earlier that is has to be real. Unless you know for a fact that the purse was purchased in a Chanel boutique then you may be in possession of a high quality fake.

If you really want to be sure, then bring it in to your local Chanel boutique and request a spa treatment. If it's fake then the craftsperson who would be working on it would refuse treatment.

Reactions: alliegetyourgun
As far back as the mid 1980's there were 'Chanel' parties going around the Boca Raton area for well made knock off's, these all in the homes of the 'ladies who lunch' and were by strict invitation only. I saw some of the bags these gals were buying and they really were mirror images of the real thing. It was very big business down here for quite awhile and even when I left the area in the mid 90's heard these behind the scenes parties were still going on.

My mom recently passed away and had a Louis Vuitton credit card case she got either in the 60's or 70's. It took a behind the scenes LV craftsperson to say that the case was a knock off. The sales staff on the LV floor all thought it was the real deal.

Knock offs have been around before many of you were born so don't think that because something is from the 80's or earlier that is has to be real. Unless you know for a fact that the purse was purchased in a Chanel boutique then you may be in possession of a high quality fake.

If you really want to be sure, then bring it in to your local Chanel boutique and request a spa treatment. If it's fake then the craftsperson who would be working on it would refuse treatment.
Thats interesting to hear. I know that LV has been copied for many years, but only in recent years are they seen in such high quality mirror image. Whereas Chanel copies to the same high standard as a real Chanel back in those days, I would be very surprised... Even the super high quality Chanel fakes of today can be spotted, if you know what you are looking for. The quality of the leather is often a big sign. It's never quite right. Whereas the metalware and Chanel markings are much easier to copy. And with a vintage Chanel, the leather is exquisite, and silky, getting silkier and better over time.

It looks like a fake to me. The two Cs are too close together and they aren't uniform. They're fatter on one end and skinnier on the other. And the space in between them is too narrow. And shouldn't Chanel be printed under the pen holder?

Also, the screw plate is weird. Has anyone else other than the owner ever seen the screw plate backwards like that before? I've only seen the Chanel on the left.

divinedesigns, you should submit this bag, along with detailed photos to the authentication thread: http://forum.purseblog.com/chanel-shopping/authenticate-chanel-thread-read-1st-page-before-posting-654047.html

Last edited:
Even after decades of use, the bottom of my classic has retained its flat shape. None of my Chanel bags have ever become rounded on the bottom.