Chanel RTW jacket HELP!

ms007

For Love of Hermes
O.G.
May 17, 2009
Hi ladies!! I usually do not like to buy RTW full price but the jackets in a size 34 are already so hard to find and I have missed out on so many great pieces. So my mom was at the boutique and of course she is a good enabler and sent me pics. She got herself the black tweed one and I impulsively bought the white with navy trim. Now when the SA described to me that it wasn't a tweed but a tericloth material I first thought of hotel towels and then juicy couture track suits....but I bought the jacket anyway and it is being shipped to me. Now I wanted to ask you if any of you have the jacket yet or have bought this material before? How is durability and my wardrobe is mainly black and blue so I plan to wear with jeans for casual look. However my sister keeps telling me I paid over $4,000 for a towel...ughhh.

Attachments

• photo-6.png
    photo-6.png
    138.9 KB · Views: 592
Did you ask the SA what the fabric composition was? It would be very unusual for a winter season item to be made out of towel-like material. Or what collection is this from?

There is a kind of waffle like wool that Chanel often uses that this looks a bit like this and is a very beautiful fabric.

Did you receive this yet?

I have seen this jacket from the Cruise runway pics and think it looks adorable! I was wondering what it meant when the fabric said "terry cloth," though. I like the look of this jacket more than the one your mom got. Can you return or exchange it if you don't like the fabric?

It is interesting from a historical point of view -- in the late 80s or early 90s Chanel did terry tackets and a large terry tote and even a terry bath robe. The vintage jackets have the chain inside at the hem and are lined, by the way; the tote's interior is leather. When I perused the new collection and saw the terry tote and my first reaction was the vintage one is a lot cuter.

The jacket you have is adorable, more intricate design than the vintage ones, but $4K -- wow. We know if it becomes one of the hot items and you wait until sale, it may well be they are gone. Then you wait to see if it shows up on ebay or move on to something else.

i like the style of the one u r wearing.. but if u r bothered by the fabric is it, then maybe u should wait for something else..
not a big fan of the one ur mom sent u pics of.. just my own opinion..

Oh, OK. This is from Cruise. Sorry! Should have realized!

Did you receive it yet? How did this work out.

I think the terry material is OK, if in a high quality cotton (cotton, keep in mind, comes in grades and is now very expensive at the upper end). It can make for a very nice texture.

I saw another version of this jacket today at NM. It does feel like a very thick terry cloth robe. LOL. You wouldn't know it was terry cloth from a distance, though. I did not try it on, so I do wonder how it would feel on. I think this is definitely one you need to see/try IRL. Let us know what you think when you get it. I love the look of it and it is a jacket I would consider on sale.

It is terricloth - there is a version which is slightly shorter and I think that one is a lot nicer.

I think overall, this jacket is nice. However, if you prefer tweed, then perhaps wait for the tweed version, as you're right, Chanel RTWs are very pricey!!!

i played with this jacket in the boutique, because it's cruise collection, its more holiday wear. this is the jacket you would wear by the pool or on the back of your yacht after a swim. not really an everday piece, it is esentially a beautiful excuse to wear chanel by the pool imo.

Hi Op

I agree with what everyone says. It's a beautiful jacket but the material is a deal breaker and for $4k is a no. This is a seasonal jacket u would wear to a resort by the pool or boat. Maybe occasional w jeans in the spring time but not everyday. I would buy this jacket when it goes 60% off. I you wait, you can find tweed jackets for $2k on sale. Good luck!

Hi everybody!! Thanks for all the comments!! Well I finally received the jacket and I did not love it. It does feel like a towel. And for the price! No I will take my chances with the sales. Now I did like my mom's (4200.00 +). It is a nice tweed. Hers is black and looks better in person than in the pics. So I will see what other colors it will be coming in.