Chanel RTW from resellers

baghag21

O.G.
Jan 7, 2006
Hi All,

I did a search on TPF and came up empty on a similar thread. While this topic has been discussed sporadically in the "How to ... Chanel jacket" thread, I thought I will start a new thread to generate a more in-depth discussion on buying Chanel RTW from resellers for both new and preloved pieces as there are so many beautiful pieces out there and these pieces are meant to last a lifetime or two. It would be so good to hear from the more experienced and savvy Chanel clients.

Recently I have been looking at some Chanel RTW pieces, mostly jackets, from ebay resellers, 1stdibs etc. Generally new pieces albeit some are a few years old. I have zero experience when it comes to authenticating RTW as I have been buying from the stores. However I am tempted to buy from resellers as those pieces were not available when I was looking or missed out as they were not within my radar then. There are so many beautiful pieces such as the B&W tweeds, ecru & black tweeds, all-black tweeds, Lesage tweeds etc, at friendlier price points (which are still high though!) than the stores. Perhaps the resellers manage to find these beautiful pieces at sales times in their respective countries or some Chanel customers wanted to find new homes for their unworn pieces.

My local store generally has limited orders and by the sales time, most items are out of my size. Also, in my neck-of-the-woods, buying RTW from individual resellers is a very new concept.

I know there are generally Chanel-ites who only buy brand new from the stores, those who buy from both the stores & resellers and those who buy from resellers only. I would appreciate any thoughts on buying from resellers and also what are the more reputable Chanel RTW resellers. Thanks in advance!

Hi! There is no question, there is nothing like a Chanel jacket! There are so many Chanel inspired jackets (I don't mean knock offs) out there but once you have the real thing, it's hard to go back to a lesser brand. Chanel jackets are the only ones I look for....I'm never on the lookout for Chanel pants, blouses, sweaters, etc., as I prefer Ann Taylor for those things. With that said, I cannot afford a brand new Chanel jacket-those prices are so out of reach for me. However, over the last few years I've bought a few from Ebay, high-end consignment stores, and online re-sellers. You just have to check the seller's feedback (on Ebay) so you know you're buying from a reputable seller. I've also used The Real Real and have had very good luck with them. They have mixed reviews here on the Purse Forum but I myself haven't really had any issues (so far, knock on wood). I don't know too many other on line re-sellers that sell jackets-most re-sellers sell handbags. I don't know if I'd call myself experienced and savvy though....those ladies are in the 'How to wear your Chanel jacket' thread!! Good luck with your search!! :smile:

Reactions: ladysarah
Antonia... thanks for your feedback. Totally agree that Chanel jackets are the best. The Real Real has some amazing jackets at great prices. I have been lurking there but have yet to purchase anything. Thanks for sharing your positive experiences with TRR. eBay has some good stuff too although the prices are higher.

When I first started purchasing from TRR I had some "misses" (scuffs, weird color spots, etc.) by purchasing on my mobile device and not noticing. Since then, I've learned always take the "enlarge" view and zoom in as close as my computer browser will allow. They take pretty good photos and I've been able to avoid those misses since I started doing this. There was one time they misclassified a men's watch as a woman's and they were kind enough to still refund the sale even though it was supposed to be "final". I should have figured this out from the strap length in the description but they earned a lot of props from me for permitting that return.

I've even gotten so lucky as to purchase a Chanel jacket which was only a few years old for ~$450 in one of their sales. Sometimes they list the year if it is recent but they hadn't on that one and I feel like I got the score of a lifetime there.

So glad to see this thread. I'm determined to buy a Chanel jacket - preloved - refuse to pay the sky high prices in the boutiques. And I doubt I'd find exactly what I want. I've searched online and found the usual sellers, The Real Real, 1st Dibs (expensive) and Vestiaire. Ebay scares me! I'm also concerned about sizing. I usually wear a 4, sometimes a 6 in a jacket. Since I've never tried on Chanel RTW I don't have a clue how the sizes run. Any thoughts on that? I'm hoping t find a jacket I love under 2000. I see some but so far the only one I just love is 4,000 !!!

Hi! There is no question, there is nothing like a Chanel jacket! There are so many Chanel inspired jackets (I don't mean knock offs) out there but once you have the real thing, it's hard to go back to a lesser brand. Chanel jackets are the only ones I look for....I'm never on the lookout for Chanel pants, blouses, sweaters, etc., as I prefer Ann Taylor for those things. With that said, I cannot afford a brand new Chanel jacket-those prices are so out of reach for me. However, over the last few years I've bought a few from Ebay, high-end consignment stores, and online re-sellers. You just have to check the seller's feedback (on Ebay) so you know you're buying from a reputable seller. I've also used The Real Real and have had very good luck with them. They have mixed reviews here on the Purse Forum but I myself haven't really had any issues (so far, knock on wood). I don't know too many other on line re-sellers that sell jackets-most re-sellers sell handbags. I don't know if I'd call myself experienced and savvy though....those ladies are in the 'How to wear your Chanel jacket' thread!! Good luck with your search!! :smile:
I actually prefer the previous collections. The last few years Chanel jackets have gotten to be too glittery with too far much detail and too prominent shoulder pads. I love the older seasons like the ones Fiona Bruce wears... I wish you'd post photos of your jackets and more modelling shots. Love to see those beauties in action.

So glad to see this thread. I'm determined to buy a Chanel jacket - preloved - refuse to pay the sky high prices in the boutiques. And I doubt I'd find exactly what I want. I've searched online and found the usual sellers, The Real Real, 1st Dibs (expensive) and Vestiaire. Ebay scares me! I'm also concerned about sizing. I usually wear a 4, sometimes a 6 in a jacket. Since I've never tried on Chanel RTW I don't have a clue how the sizes run. Any thoughts on that? I'm hoping t find a jacket I love under 2000. I see some but so far the only one I just love is 4,000 !!!
I would say look for a 34 or 36...36 to be on the safe side and you can always tailor it. Hopefully someone else with more experience will chime in! :smile: