Chanel Red Classic Flap...please HELP!

Which season Red Caviar Classic Flap?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

k5ml3k

O.G.
Jul 26, 2012
...HELP needed with this dilemma that has haunted me for YEARS (a little dramatic but I have thought about this for awhile)...

Which season Chanel Classic Flap should I get?

It seems that 12A, 14B, 17B caviar reds in the classic flaps are very well loved within the community...maybe 12A a little bit more so than others? Since 12A was so highly sought after and loved by so many, I decided that 12A is the red that I was going to go for. From the pictures, 12A red had the blue undertone that I wanted and none of the orange undertone. So I set a specific budget and condition and decided that I will not veer off it. I saw plenty in the pre-loved market for this bag but they were either over my budget or not in the condition I wanted. Looking back now, I should've just bought the ones that I saw that are in great condition but over my budget because the prices have increased to a-whole-nother level of crazy within the past few months.

Long story short(er), I bought a 12A classic flap over my budget but in decent condition. When I got the bag, I was surprised at how underwhelmed I was by the color. ARGH! I really thought I was done with my search but it didn't sit well with me when I was already going over my budget and didn't LOVE the bag. So now, I'm back to searching for another red classic flap but at a loss as to which season to go for. The prices (both pre-loved and new) are so high now that I want to make sure that I LOVE it and not settle.

On the horizon...I found a 15C pearly red caviar classic flap at a "decent" price (still over budget) but in great condition (per listing). I couldn't find a lot of information on this season's red so I was hoping to get any information from anyone that either has this red or have looked at it in the past and see what you think.

PS: I've tried to settle with red Reissues, Boys, other bags, in calfskin, in lambskin but nothing could fill the void. So I've decided that despite having to go outside my parameters, I just need to get this red caviar classic flap and be done. I hope you guys understand and don't think I'm crazy, lol. Thank you!!

Hi, I'm one of the crazy person who also hunt on the perfect Chanel classic red so I share your dilemma. I haven't seen all of those red on your list but I can tell some that I have. Mind you, Chanel red (and with all their colours I'd say) is very tricky. Judging from the picture would not be ideal as they tend to appear differently plus how the colour present hugely depends on the lighting and angle. I have always read that 12A is a lipstick red, so maybe that's why it doesn't have blue undertone? May I ask what made you feel underwhelmed about 12A red?

My experience is this, I've always been lusting for 17B since my first journey with Chanel from all the pictures I've seen and how people are crazy over this blue undertone red Chanel. I was a couple of months late to Chanel world as by that time this season has just recently passed, but of course the red had gone in all form (bags, slgs). Then 18B season came, the raspberry red became a hit too but I didn't want to settle with it because IRL it's so much different from the pictures. It only look raspberry in some angles, mostly it appears as a dull dark pink with brown undertones.

Next, I saw a beautiful 15C pearly red in preloved market. I texted the seller and she sent me a bunch of pictures and video. She pointed some pictures which closest to real life colour. I was surprised as it looked pinkish. So I went here and searched for some info. Apparently the official colour was dark pink and people referred it as red cherry.

I went to Berlin and met a nice lady from where I'm from. We chat a bit about our local stores and I notice she was wearing the 18B pink flap. I asked her and she said it's 17B red. I was so so surprised that it look so different from what I imagine the red would be. We were inside the Chanel store, you know how their lighting are. Maybe it did make the bag appear more brown/yellow/warmtone. Since then, I'm not so eager hunting this sought after red but to be honest I still drool whenever I see this bag on all internet platforms.

Finally I got my hands on 19B flap. I was not so sure about it from the pictures and opinion I read here. There are many different shades and different opinion from people who had seen it IRL. It's so confusing. I finally bit the bullet when seeing this in store although honestly this is not the perfect blue red I've been dreaming of. It was pretty dark red with a bit of brown undertone (under store lighting). In conclusion, I would say it's a very pretty shade of dark red (no pinkish or orange) but the finish is a bit dull making the bag doesn't look bright strong red. Funnily though, most of the pictures I take show the bag is really bright and has a strong dark red shade, as in many IG pictures I've seen too. Seeing the comparison pictures, 17B is still a deeper blue red then 19B.

I haven't seen 20B or 20S red (lambskin though), but people also rave about these red. Maybe try to check them out? I am planning to stop by the stores bringing my 19B to compare if I ever got lucky to come across those red.

Sorry for long answer, but I hope it can help you a bit.

Hi, I'm one of the crazy person who also hunt on the perfect Chanel classic red so I share your dilemma. I haven't seen all of those red on your list but I can tell some that I have. Mind you, Chanel red (and with all their colours I'd say) is very tricky. Judging from the picture would not be ideal as they tend to appear differently plus how the colour present hugely depends on the lighting and angle. I have always read that 12A is a lipstick red, so maybe that's why it doesn't have blue undertone? May I ask what made you feel underwhelmed about 12A red?

My experience is this, I've always been lusting for 17B since my first journey with Chanel from all the pictures I've seen and how people are crazy over this blue undertone red Chanel. I was a couple of months late to Chanel world as by that time this season has just recently passed, but of course the red had gone in all form (bags, slgs). Then 18B season came, the raspberry red became a hit too but I didn't want to settle with it because IRL it's so much different from the pictures. It only look raspberry in some angles, mostly it appears as a dull dark pink with brown undertones.

Next, I saw a beautiful 15C pearly red in preloved market. I texted the seller and she sent me a bunch of pictures and video. She pointed some pictures which closest to real life colour. I was surprised as it looked pinkish. So I went here and searched for some info. Apparently the official colour was dark pink and people referred it as red cherry.

I went to Berlin and met a nice lady from where I'm from. We chat a bit about our local stores and I notice she was wearing the 18B pink flap. I asked her and she said it's 17B red. I was so so surprised that it look so different from what I imagine the red would be. We were inside the Chanel store, you know how their lighting are. Maybe it did make the bag appear more brown/yellow/warmtone. Since then, I'm not so eager hunting this sought after red but to be honest I still drool whenever I see this bag on all internet platforms.

Finally I got my hands on 19B flap. I was not so sure about it from the pictures and opinion I read here. There are many different shades and different opinion from people who had seen it IRL. It's so confusing. I finally bit the bullet when seeing this in store although honestly this is not the perfect blue red I've been dreaming of. It was pretty dark red with a bit of brown undertone (under store lighting). In conclusion, I would say it's a very pretty shade of dark red (no pinkish or orange) but the finish is a bit dull making the bag doesn't look bright strong red. Funnily though, most of the pictures I take show the bag is really bright and has a strong dark red shade, as in many IG pictures I've seen too. Seeing the comparison pictures, 17B is still a deeper blue red then 19B.

I haven't seen 20B or 20S red (lambskin though), but people also rave about these red. Maybe try to check them out? I am planning to stop by the stores bringing my 19B to compare if I ever got lucky to come across those red.

Sorry for long answer, but I hope it can help you a bit.
Oh my goodness, please do not apologize for your answer. It is much appreciated! Honestly. I feel like I’ve been trying to find the right red for so long. I was sure it was going to be 12A based on others reviews and pictures but when I got it, it seemed almost too dark for me? I don’t like tomato red or even lipstick red so I thought that since I’ve never seen 12A referred to either of these shades then it would be the shade of red for me. Idk.

I wanted to see the 19B and 20B and S in person but they’re so hard to come by and I feel like the true color of these bags are just to hard to capture in pictures. I should be getting the 15C this weekend so we’ll see how I feel. I worry about it’s “pearly-ness” and the pink undertone too...I had a reissue that I liked but had a pink undertone.

I was thinking that if 15C doesn’t work I would try for the 17B but now I’m not sure. Oi!

Agree that 10C is a very nice red.

OP, I feel your pain. I’ve been on the hunt for the perfect red for the past few years....w/GHW. More specifically, 24K GHW. Since I already have an H bag in rouge casaque (perfect H red) with PHW, Chanel red GHW was a must. Just found the right one for me (vintage) after many, many years. Sending positive vibes you find your match!

Attachments

• 33ECD10E-F61F-4D03-9BF1-655260E11A63.jpeg
    33ECD10E-F61F-4D03-9BF1-655260E11A63.jpeg
    202.2 KB · Views: 124
Agree that 10C is a very nice red.

OP, I feel your pain. I’ve been on the hunt for the perfect red for the past few years....w/GHW. More specifically, 24K GHW. Since I already have an H bag in rouge casaque (perfect H red) with PHW, Chanel red GHW was a must. Just found the right one for me (vintage) after many, many years. Sending positive vibes you find your match!
Your bag is stunning! Thank you so much for the positive vibes ❤️ I hope I find the right bag. I’m in the hunt for this 10C red

Oh my goodness, please do not apologize for your answer. It is much appreciated! Honestly. I feel like I’ve been trying to find the right red for so long. I was sure it was going to be 12A based on others reviews and pictures but when I got it, it seemed almost too dark for me? I don’t like tomato red or even lipstick red so I thought that since I’ve never seen 12A referred to either of these shades then it would be the shade of red for me. Idk.

I wanted to see the 19B and 20B and S in person but they’re so hard to come by and I feel like the true color of these bags are just to hard to capture in pictures. I should be getting the 15C this weekend so we’ll see how I feel. I worry about it’s “pearly-ness” and the pink undertone too...I had a reissue that I liked but had a pink undertone.

I was thinking that if 15C doesn’t work I would try for the 17B but now I’m not sure. Oi!

hi there! I’m on the hunt for the perfect red bag too. Did you ever end up getting your hands on the 15c? What are your thoughts?

hi there! I’m on the hunt for the perfect red bag too. Did you ever end up getting your hands on the 15c? What are your thoughts?

Yes! Mine is 15C Cruise Collection Pearlie Red Jumbo Double Flap in Caviar SHW , it has a pearlie sheen on the caviar under some lights which is exclusive to that collection and not found on any other red caviars..

If I had other choices of red, I would still go for the 15C although I would not mind the current red offered in Chanel boutiques currently https://www.chanel.com/sg/fashion/p...sic-handbag-grained-calfskin-gold-tone-metal/

Of course, I am still hunting for other red classic flaps and hope I can justify for another red bag in my collection .

Happy hunting!

Last edited: