Chanel - Question The Quality!

Jan 29, 2008
I will make this short and sweet and hope my advice helps anyone considering a Chanel.

Black Jumbo Classic Flap - Returned after 2 weeks for approximately 10 links that were open;

Navy Blue Jumbo Classic Flap - Returned after 5 months for dye wearing off in three different spots. Only wore the bag for 2-3 weeks before storing in box. Manager informed me that I was second person to have returned same bag for same reason;

Large Beige Classic Flap - Returned for exchange after 2 months, for same exact bag, due to stitching coming loose.

Although my experience may not be the case for everyone, I have read enough threads to know that I am certainly not the only person disappointed in the quality of Chanel bags.

What is more troubling is Chanel's unwillingness to rectify the situation when contacted. The most they would offer was a repair. Lucky for me that 2 of my bags were purchased from Bloomingdales and 1 from Nordstroms.

With that said I highly advise that for any of you considering your first or next Chanel purchase to ONLY patronize a major retailer such as Bloomingdales, Nordstrom or Saks, wherein you will more than likely be guaranteed much better customer service should your Chanel fall apart.

So for now I have learrned a valuable lesson in that you do not always "get what you pay for." Chanel may have once been an icon and known for quality back in the day, but now is just another mass-produced item with a fancy name attached.

I bid a very fond FAIRWELL to Chanel and all of the hype surrounding it!:tdown:

Oh FB, that is sad for you! I empathize, though.

It sounds like you REALLY wanted the classic flap to work out. What were the leathers on all these bags?

Oh FB, that is sad for you! I empathize, though.

It sounds like you REALLY wanted the classic flap to work out. What were the leathers on all these bags?

My first was Caviar, the second was glazed [distressed] lambskin and my third was also Caviar. I still have the Large Classic Flap that I really like and will alternate with a LV Neverfull tote that I just bought.

More than the lack of quality with Chanel, is the flippant and accusatory attitude of Chanel itself towards consumers and that is where they lost a customer in me.

It doesnt happen to me for the chanel bags yet. however, I bought a ring last week for $600, while returned it 3 days later. because the top of the ring got lose. they said will send back for accessment to see if it can be repaired.. I was really sad..thinking of getting a new one.

High priced designer goods should definitely be the highest quality for the $$$ we pay for sure:yes:

I think it's important to also remember these pieces are handmade, but the good news for those of us unwilling to give up on Chanel is that for every complaint we read in here, there's literally a hundred or more other threads about very happy customers!

I'm really sorry to hear about your luck w/ Chanel, but it's not all that common thankfully.
More of us than not still have yet to have a quality issue.

Last year and the year before, I had literally 0 problems with my Chanel bags. This year I've had a few defects (red accordion east west, portobello missing sticker inside, washed caviar red GST with spots on one side) - but luckily all the SAs I've worked with have been very accommodating and they've been returned with no issues.

However that being said - I am still very pleased with the quality and marksmanship on all my bags and I'm still a big addict :smile: I don't see myself going back to other brands because I just absolutely love CHANEL...

After reading a few posts about the quality of Chanel products here, I agree with FrenchBulldog. It makes me wonder if I should buy another Chanel purse. Because I only use my Chanel bags on special occasions and on my dayoffs. It would not make sense to me to use the bag one or two times and then find out I have send the bag for repair because of a defect?! I wonder how can the quality get worse when their prices keep increasing. When I buy a $3000 bag I expect it to last a few years, at least.

but it's only a "few posts" right?
I am all about getting what you pay for and I know if I had a lot of trouble I'd also stop buying.
But I won't if I only read other people's issues . . . I guess what I'm trying to do is give some perspective. No designer has a 100% satisfaction rate, I read about quality issues in every Forum here, even LV and Hermes.
If one of us out of the last 150 of us have a problem, it's not truly a quality control issue in my personal opinion.

KWIM?

Reactions: Cilifene
I am all about getting what you pay for and I know if I had a lot of trouble I'd also stop buying.
But I won't if I only read other people's issues . . . I guess what I'm trying to do is give some perspective. No designer has a 100% satisfaction rate, I read about quality issues in every Forum here, even LV and Hermes.
If one of us out of the last 150 of us have a problem, it's not truly a quality control issue in my personal opinion.

KWIM?

good point swanky.

KWIM?

I agree and disagree. Although no designer is 100%, it is what the designer does to appease the customer that matters at the end of the day. In no way should one be offered a repair on a relatively new bag that shows early signs of wear and/or defects over and above a full refund. These are extremely expensive, handmade bags, where one would expect quality over and above the bag that was put together by a machine on an assembly line. If Chanel was so sure of their own product, I believe that their 14 day return policy would be extended a bit.

My post was to simply warn those lambs being led to Chanel slaughter. Think about the potential battle that may await you should you purchase a Chanel from a Chanel boutique.

Oh, and I still love and thank the Purse Forum regardless of what purse I am carrying.

I'm a huge Chanel fan and own an assortment of vintage Chanels and some modern ones. I have to say, the vintage ones are definitely more well made despite their dated look. I don't use my vintage bags as much but love looking at them and simply admiring them. :love: However, I find myself drifting slightly off each day and becoming more interested in Hermes simply because they're very open about their production line and I know what I'm getting. Maybe I'm a little paranoid because I just finished reading the book "Deluxe, How Luxury Lost Its Luster". It's basically about how luxury brands are trying to generate more profit by cutting costs in their production. They use lesser quality material, relocate their factories out of Europe to Asia and Africa and many of them deceive their customers by stamping "made in france" on products that were actually made in china. The author said she couldn't disclose the brands but she saw it first hand. I'm not going to believe every single word from a single source but to tell you the truth I was shocked. :wtf: I really would like some reassurance if anyone can provide some production information on Chanel. Are they even completely hand made? They definitely should be for the amount they charge!

KWIM?

I AGREE 100 PERCENT with Swanky ;)

Of course, with handmade goods, there will be a problem every once in a while, but in general, I have found my Chanel bags to be AMAZING quality, and I have no doubt that Chanel would fix any problems that I would have in the future. I have been using my bags every day, and they are holding up very well. Chanel is an investment, and if you care for your bags, I think you can use them for the next 30 years! I am sorry about your problems with Chanel! :shame:

I gotta admit, I have only had one problem with a Chanel bag, and when I returned it, I thought perhaps I had caused it... But they disagreed, and said Chanel only wants the finest bags carried and gave me another.

I wish this was the case with everyone, I, for one, am impressed :heart: