Chanel Quality Issues and Repairs - Rant

I stopped purchasing Chanel in 2006 because of the same reason. My bag was damaged when it was sent in for repairs and the stitches came back weak. I also experienced poor customer service in their NYC store. I don't purchase any Chanel bags anymore. The only things Chanel in my home are my Chanel cosmetics and perfumes.

Awww.......:sad:
I might too if I were you!
And yup, I love the perfume and cosmetics too!:love:

oops i meant to add if it's less than a year old. thanks for clearing that up for me m1nime.

In 2007 I had a pair of 2004 earrings repaired at the Chanel boutique and they did it for free; it took about a month or two. I haven't had issues with my bags thusfar. I also have quite a few older ones and wonder if there has been more of a quality change in in the last couple of years.

I just wanted to give everyone following this thread an update.. So, I spoke with the Store Manager today and voiced my frustration that this is now my 4th time calling about this issue. She's very apologetic and said that they are sending another email (I guess there's no phone there!) to request a status. I told her that I am not calling back again and if they cannot give me an answer by tomorrow that I will be expecting a full refund! So, here's what I learned...

- There's apparently only ONE Chanel repair center in the country
- They have no phone access, only email (???)

I won't be buying anymore Chanel bags. :mad:

They do have a phone. Same thing happened to me. I had brought in my cloudy bundle for repair, they gave me a receipt with a number, and after 7 weeks I called to find out the status. Well they had no record of my number/receipt - it was lost. The lady I was dealing with said she was going to call repair and get back with me. In the meantime she said I would get my money back if they did not find the bag, but I wanted the bag more than the money. The computer was down over on the repair side, so it took the SA a little longer to get an answer, but they did end up finding the bag, but it was not yet repaired, just sitting around. I received a call about two weeks later telling me the back was ready for pickup.

However, when I got the bag back, they forgot to attach and was missing some hardware, so it had to be sent out again, which was another 3 weeks.

I feel your frustration!!!

Sorry to hear about all the worse cases you all experience. I had minor problem with my reissue but it wasn't as bad as most of you encountered. :shame:

the same crap happened to my 07A black reissue 227! holy cow, and i thought i was the only one! i hardly carried her (probably 5 times?) and the thread on the inner flap (there are 2 corners of the inner flap stitched onto the main flap - this is a common sight for all flaps in order to put the 2 flaps together there will have to be these 2 corner stitches) came loose! i noticed it was fraying after i use her twice and i told my SA that it did. then a few weeks later, the thread was entirely out! i brought the bag back to her, together with my cabas (the links holding the chains opened) for repair. luckily, the repairs took a week long phew! but that's b/c they hire a local tailor to fix the bags!

LadyDeluxe, I had that corner stitch holding the flaps together come loose on my reissue too after carrying it about a few times. I though at the time that maybe it was my fault, that maybe the large sunglasses case for my Gucci sunglasses had caused the stitch to come loose, but apparently not since its happened to others.

Like ladydeluxe & venusfly, one side of the corner stitches from my 07A reissue came loose. I too thought it's my fault as I put too many papers in the pocket between the 2 flaps. & I'd been using it one month straight when I was on a trip, so at end, that's what happened to my reissue. Before I return home (no Chanel in NS:Push:smile:, I was able to drop by Toronto Chanel boutique, I met my lovely SA who said she can check if she can get it fix. (BTW, I didn't buy this bag from her as that size wasn't available in Canada, but she's so nice doing that for me:heart:). In the beginning I thought it will take some times to get it fixed & was worry how I can get my bag back since I'm not living in Toronto. But after 5 minutes or so, she brought back the bag to me & REPAIRED! Apperatly, they have a tailor on site. I don't know what I can say, not lucky to get problem with my bag, but lucky to get it reparied right away.:shame:

Now, I hope everyone who has problems will get all sorted out. Next time when I buy Chanel, I will definietly check the bag inside out before paying. That way, hopefully, may eliminate chances of getting problems in the future.

Nathalie just posted her remarks regarding this issue in another similar thread, which by the way I totally agreed:smile:, so here it is:

"LOL Celia, Hermès also has quality issues. Just do a search on the Hermès forum and I'm positive you'll find threads about their quality issues.

Although I feel really sorry for mj and other members who had to go through such unfortunate experiences, I'm sure that a lot of other members haven't experienced any problems with their new bags. It's not very likely that every new bag will have quality issues.

We should keep things in perspective here; out of all the new bags that are bought by the members on this forum, only a few of them had quality issues. And yes, you're right, of course this shouldn't happen with such expensive bags and of course there should be much better quality control.

But since were talking about handmade bags here, this will unfortunately happen from time to time IMO"

Thank you Nathalie- you made an excellent point.

louis vuitton isn't made from leather is it? from durable canvas, so the quality issues would be much different.

chanel is expensive hands down. we all know that forking over 2600 on a bag, we expect it to last. but first off, it's hand-made. things will not always be perfect. there are bound to be SOME problems. another thing, is that if it does get repaired.
i believe there are only a few repair places that chanel uses.. so, i mean you have to think that if ALL chanels in the USA use the repair center, then of course it would take long.

also, i'd rather them take there time on their service, rather than rush and do a bad job. so i wouldn't mind waiting.

Just to chime in....I am currently searching for an evening bag but...

My family has carried Chanel bags for some time...and honeslty, its a given...a known fact that most Chanels are a bit on the delicate side....

But the look and feel of Chanel bags are quite something...so Im opting for a evening bag, small and sweet for those times out on the town.....rather than for an everyday bag....just cant stay away though...lol...

Nathalie just posted her remarks regarding this issue in another similar thread, which by the way I totally agreed:smile:, so here it is:

"LOL Celia, Hermès also has quality issues. Just do a search on the Hermès forum and I'm positive you'll find threads about their quality issues.

Although I feel really sorry for mj and other members who had to go through such unfortunate experiences, I'm sure that a lot of other members haven't experienced any problems with their new bags. It's not very likely that every new bag will have quality issues.

We should keep things in perspective here; out of all the new bags that are bought by the members on this forum, only a few of them had quality issues. And yes, you're right, of course this shouldn't happen with such expensive bags and of course there should be much better quality control.

But since were talking about handmade bags here, this will unfortunately happen from time to time IMO"

Thank you Nathalie- you made an excellent point.

You're welcome! And thank you for adding my post to this thread :flowers:

Just got back from a trip to Paris and I took my new 228 dark silver 2.55 bag. I took it out to a jazz club one evening and this was my 2nd time carrying the bag since I got it a few months ago. The chain had one link that had come loose but the strap is very wide on the 228 size so there were plenty of other links to support the bag. I only had a wallet, cell and lipstick in the bag and the chain totally snapped apart and fell off my shoulder. The remaining links on that row all came apart!

Since I was in gay Paris near the mothership I took the bag there to see if it could possibly be repaired while I was in town. I called the store and mentioned what happened and they transferred to a repair person. She asked me what the style number was of the bag. I was in the lobby of my hotel in the business center using the internet and the bag was in my room so I said I'd call back in about 5 minutes with the info. I called back and was told that the repair person had stepped out but would be back in 30 minutes and that they were sure she could fix it while I was in town and to come bring it by. My hotel wasn't that far so by the time I walked there the 30 minutes had passed. I approached a woman about the repair and she wanted to take my information and said there is no way to get a repair back in less than 2 months. She seemed highly irritated and rude (my ONLY such experience in Paris) which I wouldn't expect when a customer comes in with a broken $3500 bag. I had purchased some items there the day before and the sales people I had worked with were very pleasant and helpful. I insisted that I had been told differently and asked if there was someone else I could speak to. After total frustration in dealing with the SA I found the woman who had assisted me the day before and asked if she could find out if I could get it repaired while in town. She went to check with the irritated woman about it and came back to say no it would take 2 months and that I should take it back to the US for repair.

So this week I'll be taking it to my local boutique to see what the verdict is. It should be a simple repair, basically the opening on all the links on that row came apart and were not tightly sealed ...I could likely fix it myself with some pliers but will take it to the shop to have them do it.

I would demand a new one. It is obvious that there is a problem, because it should have been taken care of already... You've waited long enough. Call tomorrow and demand a replacement or money back

Just got back from a trip to Paris and I took my new 228 dark silver 2.55 bag. I took it out to a jazz club one evening and this was my 2nd time carrying the bag since I got it a few months ago. The chain had one link that had come loose but the strap is very wide on the 228 size so there were plenty of other links to support the bag. I only had a wallet, cell and lipstick in the bag and the chain totally snapped apart and fell off my shoulder. The remaining links on that row all came apart!

Since I was in gay Paris near the mothership I took the bag there to see if it could possibly be repaired while I was in town. I called the store and mentioned what happened and they transferred to a repair person. She asked me what the style number was of the bag. I was in the lobby of my hotel in the business center using the internet and the bag was in my room so I said I'd call back in about 5 minutes with the info. I called back and was told that the repair person had stepped out but would be back in 30 minutes and that they were sure she could fix it while I was in town and to come bring it by. My hotel wasn't that far so by the time I walked there the 30 minutes had passed. I approached a woman about the repair and she wanted to take my information and said there is no way to get a repair back in less than 2 months. She seemed highly irritated and rude (my ONLY such experience in Paris) which I wouldn't expect when a customer comes in with a broken $3500 bag. I had purchased some items there the day before and the sales people I had worked with were very pleasant and helpful. I insisted that I had been told differently and asked if there was someone else I could speak to. After total frustration in dealing with the SA I found the woman who had assisted me the day before and asked if she could find out if I could get it repaired while in town. She went to check with the irritated woman about it and came back to say no it would take 2 months and that I should take it back to the US for repair.

So this week I'll be taking it to my local boutique to see what the verdict is. It should be a simple repair, basically the opening on all the links on that row came apart and were not tightly sealed ...I could likely fix it myself with some pliers but will take it to the shop to have them do it.

I was in NM one day and I saw a woman come in and complain about an issue with her bag. They told her they would have to send it out and she very firmly said NO! I want a new one, this is my only bag and I paid alot for it, I want it replaced, plain and simple. They did it. They gave her one there...sometimes that works I guess

Holy this thread is so scary!
When I brought my GST to get repaired last month, they told me not to call and ask about it! How long should one wait before demanding a new one/money back??
What!? they told you not to do what?! that is the most ridiculous thing I had ever heard. I would have told them, if they don't want you calling to follow up on a bag you paid thousands for, than replace it with a new one or refund your money so you can go somewhere else where you can find better Customer Service. WOW! :shocked:

I know! :cursing: They also told me the reason the stitching in the chain was coming loose was because I was carrying too much in it, but obviously not because I've read about a lot of people with the same problem! So I dont know how long to wait until I make a big fuss about it!