Chanel Quality Issues and Repairs - Rant

i bought my classic lambskin flap in august, used it once in november and placed it back in its box.,Its always kept in in the dustbag and box, come january, i open the dustbag and noticed that one of the links has fallen off. Ive sent the bag to back to LA by fedex for my sister to bring it to the cahnel boutique to be repaired. This thread makes made me realize that I should follow up on my bag, or get my sis to follow up, otherwise it might be months before I get my bag back. And its awful, just having used it once since I bought it!! Wonder why they can let their quality fall so low, their number one priority should be quality!

I took in a vintage lambskin bag for cleaning way back in October, the week before Halloween, and just barely got it back last week. I must have gone in about 5 times asking where it was, and no one knew. Finally, three days before I got it back, one of the new S/A's was able to tell me that they had a reference number, which means that the Chanel restoring center has it, and that it had gone to Paris. She implied that they all get reference numbers when they are received at Chanel, so maybe ask someone to look that up for you. They originally told me 6-8 weeks, and it took more like 12.

I am surprised and a bit horrified that Chanel would put out such shoddy merchandise. Good luck!

Me too! I love Chanel but when I read threads like this, which seems to be more and more often, it makes me wonder why we buy such expensive purses. It may seem commonplace to spend thousands on purses to everyone on the forum, but to the majority of the world it's absolutely ridiculous. Our purses should be perfectly crafted and we should get impeccable service for the amount we spend. If we bought a non-Chanel purse for a few hundred dollars and the chain broke or the color wore off after only a few uses we would think it was a low quality brand. I love Chanel but with the decreasing quality I feel we're paying for a name not for craftsmanship. So I second the rant and hope you receive your bag back soon fixed and w/ no additional flaws!

the same crap happened to my 07A black reissue 227! holy cow, and i thought i was the only one! i hardly carried her (probably 5 times?) and the thread on the inner flap (there are 2 corners of the inner flap stitched onto the main flap - this is a common sight for all flaps in order to put the 2 flaps together there will have to be these 2 corner stitches) came loose! i noticed it was fraying after i use her twice and i told my SA that it did. then a few weeks later, the thread was entirely out! i brought the bag back to her, together with my cabas (the links holding the chains opened) for repair. luckily, the repairs took a week long phew! but that's b/c they hire a local tailor to fix the bags!

LadyDeluxe, I had that corner stitch holding the flaps together come loose on my reissue too after carrying it about a few times. I though at the time that maybe it was my fault, that maybe the large sunglasses case for my Gucci sunglasses had caused the stitch to come loose, but apparently not since its happened to others.

CindyYZ, FIVE MONTHS plus is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE to wait for a repair!!!Something is wrong here. I would demand to speak to a manager and have them resolve this situation immediately.

The stitching came out of my blk GST with s/h after only a few uses (a use consisting of a trip to the mall for < hour where it sits on my shoulder the entire time!). I was able to return it for a full refund (awaiting the new shipments w/ s/h at the moment) though Chanel would have prefered to repair it (the best part is where the manager BLAMED me!)

Oh dear it's horrible to read about such problems! I was planning to get a Chanel someday when I can afford it, now I'm seriously reconsidering! I agree with echo_23, I sometimes feel like the "lower-end" brands like Coach offers better quality purses.

Oh my, that's terrible! I'm so sorry to hear that...lately I've really been considering my first Chanel, but they seem so delicate! I hope you get your issue resolved - that is completely unacceptable!

Gosh, I have been trying to stay away from this thread but I just can't resist taking a peek and boy, am I regretting it now!

Such horror stories. I hope and pray my reissue will be problem-free.

Come to think of it, I never ever have any problems with my LVs. Is that why I love them so much? (pls Chanel sisters, don't shoot me):flowers: (flowers for thee....)

I just wanted to give everyone following this thread an update.. So, I spoke with the Store Manager today and voiced my frustration that this is now my 4th time calling about this issue. She's very apologetic and said that they are sending another email (I guess there's no phone there!) to request a status. I told her that I am not calling back again and if they cannot give me an answer by tomorrow that I will be expecting a full refund! So, here's what I learned...

- There's apparently only ONE Chanel repair center in the country
- They have no phone access, only email (???)

I won't be buying anymore Chanel bags. :mad:

Come to think of it, I never ever have any problems with my LVs

I totally agree! I've never had an issue with LV though i do prefer Chanel now and continue to purchase their bags despite the quality issues (which i know is beyond stupid but oh well :rolleyes:) My mother doesnt understand my logic whatsoever (well in fairness neither do i) and thinks im an idiot and should convert back to the indestructible LV :boxing:

I just wanted to give everyone following this thread an update.. So, I spoke with the Store Manager today and voiced my frustration that this is now my 4th time calling about this issue. She's very apologetic and said that they are sending another email (I guess there's no phone there!) to request a status. I told her that I am not calling back again and if they cannot give me an answer by tomorrow that I will be expecting a full refund! So, here's what I learned...

- There's apparently only ONE Chanel repair center in the country
- They have no phone access, only email (???)

I won't be buying anymore Chanel bags. :mad:

CindyYZ, call that manager again. Demand that they give you a loaner bag until yours comes back ;) Or, at the very least, demand a fat discount on a future bag! Negotiate! Get something that you want out of this and don't be frustrated. Ask them what they are going to do for you in exchange for your inconvenience.:boxing:

call the 800 number and file a report. thats what i did. a few days later my chanel in short hills called me to let me know they ordered me a new charm for my bag, i am still waiting, but atleast something is happening.

sometimes i think the quality of chanel is poor considering the price you pay for it. my large classic flap's threading on the leather of the chain has come undone and parts of the bottom of the caviar has "cracked". it's not so obvious but i haven't used it much and take care of my bags.

the chain of my vintage chanel also broke and i had to get that repaired and a crystal on my chanel specs fell off, and a crystal on my sister's chanel earrings fell off as well! i acutally thought i was the only one with the bag problem. sometimes i get so disappointed with their quality but the beautiful bags make me believe that the quality isn't so bad! :sad:

Sounds awful, hope they sort it out!

The stitching on my vintage jumbo handle came undone but the bag was repaired within 48 hours. It was a very minor repair but not only did they fix the stitching they also cleaned and conditioned the leather and cleaned and polished the hardware. The bag came in a new box looking great! Strange how these things seem to vary, might depend on the country, perhaps (I'm in UK)?